Ares Games

Thread: Farman 40 Rocketeer! Clipper's Painting Binge Part 3

Default Farman 40 Rocketeer! Clipper's Painting Binge Part 3

Why just build another copy of someone else's fine model? I loved the Chaplin Farman 40, but mine was not as cool . . .

So I turned the page in my Book of Secrets and found this guy! And you know me, if one is cool, two is cool-i-o-er!

Out looking for a German balloon! They are hoping for a fireworks show!

Here they are with their little friend!

So how does one acquire nano-rockets?

The bits are tiny and hard to keep together, let alone glue! The rocket bodies were cut from .035 plastic rod, tips pointed, and repeated 20 times. Next the poles were cut from .020 plastic rod, 20 times as well. Now you have a pile of ity bitty bits! How to align them, hold them and glue them? Delve deep into my madness, you will find I have a large collection of "Post-It" notes . . . sticky enough to hold the bits, flexible enough to allow them to be aligned into the rockets of doom!!!!

A tiny drop of CA at the join-just enough to bond and not seep through to the paper below!

Use my secret needle glue applicator device (only $1,999,999) (a sewing needle stuck into an old disposable mechanical pencil)

Final adjustments, then let the CA set for a long while, enough time to paint your Farman and get it ready for its dangerous new toys! Why not paint two so it is not lonely on those long and dangerous missions . . .

Lift the rockets off the first note and attach them to a second with the rocket end hanging over the edge. A second note paper can be laid down over the first and you have a nice rocket sandwich! While they are thus engaged, you can paint the rockets a nice silver, add the evil looking red tips if you dare!

When the silver is dry, peel off the top layer and carefully free the rockets from the lower one. Give the poles a swipe of black or brown paint and let them dry. The finished rockets can be gathered into groups of five, lightly glued together and once cured, added as a group onto the outboard struts.

I used Tacky Glue Clear here since it dries clear and has some flexibility

Make sure they are angled upwards and both sets match!

Repeat on the other model

There you have it!

And have it again!

As you can see it is even easier to recruit a flight crew if you promise them rockets!

Now to look over those rocket rules again!

What? There are Zeppelins approaching? To the planes!

Clipper climbing to intercept!

Those rockets are awesome! Is the plastic rod a standard material at any hobby store?

Very well done those are great models and with the rockets.....

Yeah, the plastic rods are from Evergreen Models of Washington state. I have found them at most hobby shops that cater to plastic modelers and railroaders. They make all kinds of shapes from rods, flats, even girders and trusses. Enjoy! And thanks for the comments, what to try next?

Thumbs up

Absolutely bloody Awesome, Clipper.
    Really great work.
    I wanted to add a Rep point but I have to spread it around first!

Fwoosh! Fwoosh! Fwoosh! Yes I am making rocket noises. Awesome job!

Nice tip on the post it notes David. I use them quite often in my building and painting as well. Handy little things to have around.

You have done it again David. That is certainly one up on the Masking tape that I have been using. Much less agressive on the tack, and naturally flat for working with.
    Top hole old bean.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Absolutely top-notch work.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

How to Rocketeer - whatever next ?!

"He is wise who watches"

All that hard work on the rockets really pays off David - two truly awesome models - now go down some Hun "sausages"

Awesome! In fact, so awesome I'm going to play copycat!

Fantastic work, as always from Clipper!

Quote Originally Posted by jbmacek View Post
    Awesome! In fact, so awesome I'm going to play copycat!
    Oh, well if you're going to do this, you should totally make a couple of spare sets...

Oh boy, did I ever! In fact, I made enough for everyone!

Clipper, you are truly an inspiration. Thank you!
    Last edited by jbmacek; 03-25-2012 at 07:54.

Great ideas, again.
    I had to start a whole folder just for your modeling tips and instructions
    Keep em coming.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Great job on the French Farmans and the rockets... But you're right: my "Chaplin" is cooler ( just kidiing...It's a great job )

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Awesome job and tips. It's amazing how you come up with this stuff!

Are the large Belgian decals home made or bought? also what scale ?

Neat planes, that is a great idea! And the rockets look really great! I want to make some now!

The decals are home made stickers, scanned from decals I have in my collection, sized and printed onto white or clear label sticker stock : ) much easier than the decals when they do not have to conform to compound curved surfaces.

Rockets now available on Shapeways! Yea! Who will be the first to add them to a Felixstowe! Now that would be a formidable craft!

Clipper

CaudronMahout

A pair of Farman pushers armed with Le Prieur rockets?! That's just WRONG, dude! I salute you!

Amazing, really!
    And thanks a lot for the Post-It tip!

Once again you take it to the next level,great work.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

What everybody else said!

Excellent! I have not thought about post-it notes, but I have been playing around with small dabs of blu-tac to keep things in place. This could increase my possibilities for off-beat options.

Sticky tack is great for masking camo-if you keep it thin, 1/32" thick-am airbrush makes just enough fuz effect to soften the edges.

Clipper