Ares Games

Thread: Split-S and standart Immelmann - inconsistency with stalls...

Default Split-S and standart Immelmann - inconsistency with stalls...

Hi all!

In optional rules for altitude there is a description of Split-S maneuver - described as complex maneuver off three: stall, immelmann and straight. I compared it to standart immelman complex maneuver and it turned out that there might be some inconsistency...

If there's a stall before split-s reverse maneuver (immelmann card) so why there is no stall after the immelmann reverse. Wouldn't it be more natural? Just consider it in aviation physics way - aircraft doing half loop is almost at stall at the the end.

Perhaps the sequence straight-imelmann-straight for immelmann is so much inside our brains after WoW WWI that noone wanted to change this in altitude rules, but I think it should have been altered. Maybe it would be even more natural for basic rules also

What do you think? I'm considering adding the rule as my house rule in our gameplay
    Last edited by nillu; 03-21-2012 at 05:09.

Only the Stall is different.
    Immelmann: Straight (Fast) - Immelmann - Straight (Slow)
    Split-S: Stall - Immelmann - Straight (Fast)

And yes it seems a bit odd. More sense would make:
    Immelmann: Straight (Fast) - Immelmann - Stall
    Split-S: Straight (Slow) - Immelmann - Straight (Fast)

Wouldn't it be :
    Immelmann: Fast Straight, Immelmann, Stall.
    Split-S: Stall, Immelmann, Fast Straight.
    or
    Immelmann: Fast Straight, Immelmann, Slow Straight.
    Split-S: Slow Straight, Immelmann, Fast Straight.

I like the stall just because it helps keep you on there tail and not on top of them.

Thomas

I agree that is why a loop should be a straight, Immelmann, stall, Immelmann, straight that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike George View Post
    I agree that is why a loop should be a straight, Immelmann, stall, Immelmann, straight that makes sense.
    Now your on to something.

That's five maneuvers.

Enought time for your opponent to escape or get into better shooting position.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    That's five maneuvers.

Which is why loops were used in WWI but not WWII. It was a quick way of getting shot down.

so do you play like this - i mean stall after immelmann, or it's to big interference to the roots of this game?

That's why few loops were done in combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    That's five maneuvers.

Quote Originally Posted by nillu View Post
    so do you play like this - i mean stall after immelmann, or it's to big interference to the roots of this game?
    I think some use it as a house rule.

Thomas