Ares Games

Thread: Sopwith Triplanes

Default Sopwith Triplanes

My finished Triplanes. These were FUD. Although the detailing was excellent, I did find painting the model difficult. The paint did not hold onto the model as well as WSF making handling difficult.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	T.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	124.7 KB 
ID:	37378

Name:	T1.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	37379

Name:	T3.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	37380

Name:	T4.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	37381

Thumbs up

More really great work & great decals.
    I would have given you a rep point but I have to spread it around first!

Yes, wonderful wet work on these! I have also experienced issues with the paint/primer coming off the FUD models. Did you primer yours first and what was your prep work on them before painting?

Very nice art work here again Chris.
    Fortunately, I can give you rep.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Beautiful work! Here's a rep.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Yes, wonderful wet work on these! I have also experienced issues with the paint/primer coming off the FUD models. Did you primer yours first and what was your prep work on them before painting?
    After trying a few options I ended up using tamiya color for aircraft (very lightly). I tired GW primer and paint on primer didn't hold well at all.

Great stuff Chris, they look fantastic. Not sure what would help with the painting issues - maybe try washing them with soap & water before anything else, that has helped me with other kits & figures inthe past, though not sure it would apply to these but you never know !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

I've used Vallejo model air primer (airbrush primer) on all of mine. Sometimes I have issues, and sometimes I do not. I always make sure to wash mine with hot soapy water and the last couple I have been gently cleaning with rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip. That last bit has seemed to help the most. I also spray on many different coats of both clear and matt varnish during the painting process. Whenever I have to mask and area off to paint something, I put down a coat of varnish first... oh, and I forgot to mention that my problems always occur when I'm removing the masking tape (Tamiya). I just picked up some satin varnish to replace the matt steps during painting to see if that further helps.

I've used Vallejo model air primer (airbrush primer) on all of mine. Sometimes I have issues, and sometimes I do not. I always make sure to wash mine with hot soapy water and the last couple I have been gently cleaning with rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip. That last bit has seemed to help the most. I also spray on many different coats of both clear and matt varnish during the painting process. Whenever I have to mask and area off to paint something, I put down a coat of varnish first... oh, and I forgot to mention that my problems always occur when I'm removing the masking tape (Tamiya). I just picked up some satin varnish to replace the matt steps during painting to see if that further helps.
    Excellent advice. I always wash but the Alcohol seems a good idea. Anyone tried Turps?

Yeah, just don't bathe them in it... over on Shapeways site there are stories of them going the way of the goo when left sitting in alcohol. They also say that dunking them in boiling water helps to melt away some of the residue/oil from the support wax. I use tongs for this as I'm afraid if it touching the bottom of the really hot pot and melting that part.

Very nice models!

very well done,kudos

Very, very nice! Inspirational, in fact!

Definitely very good! Can't give you more rep until I spread some more.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Very nice art work here again Chris.
    Fortunately, I can give you rep.
    Rob.
    So can I! Good work
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

I've actually increased the number you can give out per day and reduced the number of people you have to spread it over... I'll let you guys figure out what the new restrictions are

Thanks, Keith. Spreading some REP around.

Oh, and back to the Tripes, what units and pilots do they represent? I just so happen to have two FUD Tripes sitting next to me as I type this

I've never actually been crazy about the plane, always thinking it looked a little odd... out of proportion some how. I finally broke down and ordered two of them as an alternative to flying the Nieuport in the early stages of Knights of the Air (though, hopefully in a few months that will no longer be the "early stages"!). The game stats on the Tripes are pretty decent and they could be a fun change to have on the table. But, with that in mind and now seeing your two stunning examples... I'm excited to do mine up and see what they are really made of!

I've never actually been crazy about the plane, always thinking it looked a little odd... out of proportion some how. I finally broke down and ordered two of them as an alternative to flying the Nieuport in the early stages of Knights of the Air (though, hopefully in a few months that will no longer be the "early stages"!). The game stats on the Tripes are pretty decent and they could be a fun change to have on the table. But, with that in mind and now seeing your two stunning examples... I'm excited to do mine up and see what they are really made of!
    They are little strange planes with their thin wings, but once they get into our hands they grow on us.

You have been busy, very nice paint jobs on all your planes

what units and pilots do they represent?
    N5493 - Naval 8 - previously flown as 'BLYMP' by Robert Little
    N5482 - Naval 8 - usually flown by Charles Booker

Nice Tripehounds.

Very nice Triplanes

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick62 View Post
    N5493 - Naval 8 - previously flown as 'BLYMP' by Robert Little
    N5482 - Naval 8 - usually flown by Charles Booker
    Correct.