Ares Games

Thread: Wings of Glory WWII models not to the same scale as the Wings of War WWII models?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Ryan
    Sorties Flown

Default Wings of Glory WWII models not to the same scale as the Wings of War WWII models?

I went to a local game store to see if they had some Wings of War miniatures. And they did, but then I noticed the Wings of Glory miniatures just to the side. I recognized the game authors, Andrea Angiolino and Pier Giorgio Paglia, and became very confused very quickly. ^_^; Fortunately, I figured things out after some web searches, and a careful read of the new rule book (although the basic rules, as opposed to the standard rules, made me think they might be different games for a bit). But, at the time, the miniatures didn’t look like they were the same scale. At this point, I’m glad I haven’t bought any of the miniatures just yet, as they may not match.

Out of the package, do they look like they are the wrong scale with the older models, or are the planes in the smaller set just smaller planes? Am I better off waiting for a Wings of Glory release of the older planes? Or should I eschew the branded miniatures altogether, in favor of miniature models that might be more consistent across the planes I need?

On a related note, are the new sets and plane packs only shipping with one plane card, or do we still have lots of plane variants to choose from?

The aircrafts are all in the same 1/200 scale. WoWII and WGS ARE the same game. WGS has just more up to date rules and even those differences are pretty minor.

The models are the same as the old ones, we used them Saturday. Check out my latest album and you can see them there. I can hardly wait to get the deluxe set, which Ken is holding for me down in Columbus. Next time I'm down I will pick it up. I like the bases and cards better then the old ones as you can read them.

Thomas

The scaling is fine, the Falco II and Yak are smaller planes. The Warhawk and Hien (Tony) measure up perfectly as they are similiar in sizw to the larger Zero, Hurricane, and Spitfire.

Each model still has a single plane card, as in the past (I think that we ad a very few exceptions - Ni.16s, the US Se5a with two weapon variants, Lufbery's Ni.17 with two pilots). Packs of plane cards were for the cards only version of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    Each model still has a single plane card, as in the past (I think that we ad a very few exceptions - Ni.16s, the US Se5a with two weapon variants, Lufbery's Ni.17 with two pilots). Packs of plane cards were for the cards only version of the game.
    Your doing a great job Andrea. Thanks

Thomas

I doubt the WoG plane scale will be different from the WoW planes. I believe Ares games are making the game consistent for their brand so that we can play the old with the new. Is your basing the size of aircraft in comparison with the measurement of scale? I have done some with the New Ray planes and found some are off by tenths of an inch from the 1/200 scale. However, the group of guys I game with have no problem with the variance. I know I will be getting the new planes as soon as they are available from the stores.

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    The models are the same as the old ones, we used them Saturday. Check out my latest album and you can see them there. I can hardly wait to get the deluxe set, which Ken is holding for me down in Columbus. Next time I'm down I will pick it up. I like the bases and cards better then the old ones as you can read them.

Thomas
    Smashing pics Thomas - That game mat looks amazing!

/Niclas

Users Country Flag

Name
    Ryan
    Sorties Flown

I think the issue I was having is that I may have been comparing a Warhawk to a Stuka. Obviously the Stuka is bigger... there wasn’t a lot of selection at the game store. It would be nicer to see enough of them to be able to see for myself, rather than have to rely on anecdotal evidence.

Even as the minis came out, I never guessed that they wouldn’t still come with additional plane cards. Kind of disappointing, but not unpredictable, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Niclas View Post
    Smashing pics Thomas - That game mat looks amazing!

/Niclas

Thanks Niclas, there are nice. Luis can take most any photo that has a high resolution and blow it up to a 4'x6' mat.

Thomas