Thread: Mission 18--A Champagne Breakfast 25 July 1918

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Default Mission 18--A Champagne Breakfast 25 July 1918

Mutts Camp 0600

Lt. Richard Forbes: Gentlemen, as you know we have been moved here at the request of our French allies. In the coming days we will be providing assistance for a potential offensive. In the meantime we are to provide scouting information and locate pockets of troops.
    Today we have a report of pontoon bridges in several locations along the Marne River. The Germans expect to use these to send troops and supplies forward. Our job is to neutralize them.
    The chances are also good of an Observation Balloon in the area and if so you can expect fighter cover.
    Here are the assignments. I will take 2Lt. Hamlett and 2Lt. Livingston. We will patrol North of Champagne. Lt. Kilpatrick you take 2Lt. Winklebleck and 2Lt. Reeves and patrol south of Champagne.
    2Lt. Farr you have the job of protecting the camp.
    We will each carry 1 bomb and 1 belt of incendiary ammo. Gentlemen I cannot stress how important it is to knock out those bridges. Hit a bridge then go after the balloon if it is there.
    Good Luck and good hunting. We will leave as soon as each group is ready.

The set up.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180122_131219.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	151.2 KB 
ID:	239881

Attachment 239882

The race is on to see who gets to the bridges first.
    Attachment 239883

Attachment 239884

Lt. Kilpatrick: 2Lt. Hamlett, your first to return, how did the mission go?

2Lt. Hamlett: We had knocked out 2 of the pontoons when I was forced to retire. How did your mission go?

Lt. Kilpatrick: We did not see any usable bridges, so we dropped our bombs on some woods where we saw some Huns.

2Lt. Hamlett: Here comes Lt. Forbes and 2Lt. Livingston, maybe they have good news.

It. Forbes: Gentlemen, join me at the mess hall and we will tell our stories.
    Col. Wringer bring your writing pad and take notes for the official report.

I took the lead going toward the bridges. To my right were 2 Fokker DVII diving on us and ahead was the gas bag, with an Albatross DIII circling proactively.
    I concentrated on the bridge and let my bomb go as bullets punched a hole in the fabric of my plane. (1).
    Bomb (Rolled a 5) on target Dot Covered bridge destroyed

2Lt. Hamlett: I got hit as well disturbing me and I overshot my target. (1)
    Attachment 239885

2Lt. Livingston: I overshot mine as well so I turned right to try for the one Rodger missed.

It. Forbes: The AA came close as I heard a BOOM and a rip. (1)
    Attachment 239886

2Lt. Livingston: As I turned right one of the Fokkers flew right in front of me so I stitched the bottom of it hitting something vital causing it to Explode.
    Vzfwbl Albrecht (EXP)
    KILL--2Lt. Livingston (see note in Butcher's Bill)
    Attachment 239887

2Lt. Livingston: I got in a shoot out with the two remaining Hun which allowed Lt. Forbes and 2Lt. Hamlett scurry away.
    2Lt. Livingston (1) (2GJ) (+1,+1)
    Ltn. Creutzmann (3)
    Altitude difference.
    Attachment 239888

Lt. Forbes: I flew under the balloon so Archie didn't try to hit me.

2Lt. Hamlett: And we were too close to their planes for them to try us.
    Attachment 239889
    Last edited by Setarius; 01-24-2018 at 22:31. Reason: Add story

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

2Lt. Hamlett: I got near the bridge and dropped my bomb. I then turned right and headed for the balloon.
    Hit On bridge Dot Covered bridge destroyed
    Attachment 239890
    Attachment 239891

Lt. Forbes: I got behind the balloon, did a quick reverse and headed for the target.

2Lt. Livingston: I flubbed my approach again and had to circle back for the last bridge.
    Attachment 239892

2Lt. Hamlett: As I was climbing my plane was catapulted into the air by Archie (8SMK)
    Attachment 239893
    Attachment 239894

Lt. Forbes: I took a long range shot causing the gas bag to start smoking.
    Balloon--(4SMK, 0)
    The ground crew immediately started to wench it down.
    The Fokker DVII ×as to my right trying to get behind me.
    Attachment 239895

Lt. Forbes: My next shot started a fire (3FLM, 0).

2Lt. Hamlett: I took a shot at the Fokker (0GJ) as it turned to get onto the Lts. Tail. With my guns jammed and a badly wounded plane I decided to leave.
    Attachment 239896

Lt. Forbes: I immediately turned away as black smoke came pouring off the balloon.
    Countdown B-3
    Attachment 239897

Lt. Forbes: The smoke was so thick I couldn't see the Fokker behind me.
    B-2
    Attachment 239898

B-1
    Attachment 239899
    Last edited by Setarius; 01-24-2018 at 21:34. Reason: Add story

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

BOOM-Fokker within 1/2 ruler Destroyed
    Attachment 239900

Lt. Forbes: Time to leave.

2Lt. Livingston: I was determined to get the last bridge, so I circled again.
    Attachment 239901

Lt. Forbes: Archie started on me and did some damage and started a fire. (4FLM)
    Attachment 239902

Fire damage 2 turns (1NL, 0)
    Attachment 239903

Bridge destroyed
    Attachment 239904

Fire damage (0)
    Attachment 239905

2Lt. Livingston: The remaining Hun took a shot at me doing significant damage (4).
    Attachment 239906

Trying to get away.
    Attachment 239907

2Lt. Livingston: The Hun tried to hit me again but missed (0).
    Attachment 239908

2Lt. Livingston: I got away but turned back to try to bag me another Hun. He took another shot and did minor damage (2GJ).
    Attachment 239909
    Last edited by Setarius; 01-24-2018 at 22:18. Reason: Correct mistake

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

2Lt. Livingston: I finally got turned around and hit the Hun (3).
    Attachment 239910

2Lt. Livingston: I was behind him and hit him again at close range (2NL, 1) (+1)
    Attachment 239911

2Lt. Livingston: After that I headed home.
    Attachment 239912

Lt. Forbes: Gentlemen, we got very lucky today. Everything went our way. As you all know that hasn't been the case and possibly won't be the case in the future. We have additional patrols later today, so we will wait until tonight to celebrate our good fortune this morning.

Butcher's Bill

Entente left to right

2Lt. Stanley Livingston RTB 11 DMG 1 Kill 1 Bridge destroyed
    Kill--Vzfwbl Albrecht

Lt. Richard Forbes RTB 8 DMG 1 Bridge destroyed 1 Balloon destroyed + 1 Fokker D.VII
    Kill Ltn. Alloys Creutzmann

2Lt. Rodger Hamlett RTB 11 DMG 1 Bridge destroyed

Attachment 239913

Central Powers

Fwbl Rudolph Addix RTB 7 DMG
    Attachment 239914

Ltn. Aloys Creutzmann SD EXP FT 3 DMG
    C&W Rolled 7-3EXP=4 Injured Skip 1d6 Rolled 4 SKIP 4

Vzfwbl Otto Albrecht SD EXP FT
    C&W Rolled 11-3EXP=8 Skip D2 SKIP 1
    Attachment 239915

Observation Balloon
    Attachment 239916

Victory Points
    Entente
    3 Bridges destroyed--15 pts
    Balloon destroyed--10 pts
    2 Aircraft destroyed--4 pts
    Total 29 pts

Central Powers
    1 Aircraft forced to retire--1pt
    Total 1 pt.

Victory ENTENTE

Dave can you decide the plus or minuses for Ltn. Creutzmann since he was caught in the explosion. I rolled his C&W.

NOTE:

2Lt. Stanley Livingston As a Rookie pilot, in mission #9 We're Poor Little Lambs Who have Lost Their Way 7 March 1918 and mission #13 Unlucky for Somme 5 May 1918 and this mission #18 A Champagne Breakfast 25 July 1918 had his first shot in each mission result in a BOOM card.
    Last edited by Setarius; 01-27-2018 at 21:08.

A full house - well done Dale, a very exciting mission and you did the Bulldogs proud.

Uncle says:

Bloody brilliant effort chaps, jolly well done.

As you rightly pointed out Dale the scenario rules prevail & Creutzmann's Fokker is blown from the sky by the exploding gasbag .... he survives, just.

Ltn. Aloys Creutzmann: SD EXP FT 0 kills
    C&W Rolled 7 -3EXP = 4 Injured - Skip 1D6 Scenarios. Rolled 4 = Skip 4 !

I rolled another die and the kill is credited to Forbes as he bagged the balloon.
    Last edited by flash; 01-25-2018 at 22:24.

"He is wise who watches"

Thumbs up

Super result there Dale! Your chaps certainly hit the Jackpot in that one.
    Well done.

Very impressive!

Edward

Wow

I think maybe you should put on a bridge busting seminar for the rest of us.
    And a “sausage for breakfast” as well!

P.S. I did my usual and started looking at your post last night before you entered any commentary.

Incredible completion of the mission. No question of who ruled the day here. We Eagles are going to have to send better Jastas to oppose you! Your Bulldogs are a force to be reckoned with.

My poor AI bombers rarely hit a target. The only bridge I hit was with the plane I was flying. Even that was lucky as I was shot as but got the roll I needed for no deviation.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Pete,
    The key is in the mission directions. So far, no one has said a specific plane has to hit as specific target. We are given targets to bomb and it is up to us to destroy them, so if you have multiple targets and you or your AI flubs the approach, nothing says you can't circle to try again..
    If you look at some of my other bombing missions you will see that my Bombers have circled back to an alternate target.
    Of course it helps when the first shot at the Eagles plane resulted in a BOOM card. The other pilots went after the ones at the bridge and left the balloon unprotected for a turn, which cost them a balloon. If the AI Eagles had gone after the SPAD XIII and no tried to protect the bridges, they may have saved the balloon and then been able to save 1 Bridge making the score a lot closer.

Thanks Dave for the decision on Ltn. Creutzmann.

Great result there Dale - congrats to your pilots and drinks all round in the mess. A full house indeed. Did us all proud

Something odd here guys. Dale posted his AAR on 25th but I swear it has only just shown up on my computer today. I was on yesterday and the day before, quite a few times, but nothing showed up as new on this thread. Anyone got any ideas why that might be?

Well.... You do live in Devon..!

"He is wise who watches"

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Epilogue

Angry at himself for letting the SPAD get away and angry at Fwbl Addix for not staying with the balloon, Ltn. Creutzmann threw caution to the wind and tried to get behind the Englishman and shoot him down before he hit the balloon. But, a second Englisher shot at him causing him to not turn when needed and thus the chase was on.
    The second Englishman turned away as his guns quit working. So Ltn. Creutzmann throwing caution to the wind flew into the heavy cloud of smoke surrounding the balloon. This was his undoing.
    As Ltn. Creutzmann flew into the thickest part of the smoke there was a sound of ripping fabric followed by a very loud BOOM. The fire had finally ignited the gas bladders with devastating results. Flames and burning material were flung a good distance. The Fokker DVII and Ltn. Creutzmann were sent spinning wingtip over wingtip in an uncontrollable barrell roll as pieces of the Fokker either caught fire or came off. Ltn. Creutzmann was found about 2 meters from the largest part of what used to be an aeroplane. His flying leathers were smoking, he was missing a boot his face and hands were blackened, and his once blonde hair...well ...is now singed close to his scalp on the right side and blackened everywhere else.
    After a week in the hospital his ears were just starting to work again, well if you call an annoying ringing working.
    In all the Ltn. was lucky to be alive after that close call. His hair will eventually grow back out, the blurred vision will go away, he will regain some of his balance and not stumble as much and in a few months will be deemed fit enough to fill the seat of a much needed aeroplane for the defense of Germany.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-25-2018, 10:27
  2. BRF OTTBE Mission 18 - “A Champagne Breakfast” - 25th July 1918
    By mikeemagnus in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 01-25-2018, 09:55
  3. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-22-2018, 07:53
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-21-2018, 18:41
  5. AAR OTTBE Mission 18 - Flash's Champagne Breakfast - 25th July 1918