Ares Games

Thread: Famous Aces biographies

Default Famous Aces biographies

Here is the Famous Aces set. Please help me check for typos and such if you have time. Also, there is some info missing here and there (pilot's picture, place of birth, number of victories, etc.) If you have this info, I'd be grateful if you could pass it to me so that I can complete the set. Thanks.

Name:  ernst udet.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  372.0 KB

Not so happy with the biography of Udet. I would like to add something about the man himself but I don't have enough space .

Name:  edward rickenbacker.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  379.8 KB

Not happy either with the last sentence in the biography, the bit about that crash during a secret mission. Will probably rework it.

Name:  manfred von richthofen.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  370.1 KB

Name:  ludwig weber.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  366.8 KB

The Albatros D.II profile shows no marking (besides the cross) as I could not find any reference to Weber's aircraft's markings. Also, I wish I had a better picture of Weber.

Name:  georges guynemer.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  371.2 KB

Name:  francesco baracca.jpg
Size:  376.5 KB

Name:  werner voss.jpg
Size:  376.5 KB

Name:  roderic dallas.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  378.7 KB

Name:  hans bohning.jpg
Size:  366.9 KB

In my Osprey book, the Pfalz is black. Not sure whether the blue colored version is accurate.

Name:  raymond collishaw.jpg
Size:  378.3 KB

Name:  stuart culley.jpg
Size:  367.3 KB

Only one profile as I could not find any mention of Culley flying another aircraft besides the Camel. By the way, is there any kind soul who could provide me with a nice portrait of the man? I was told there is a pic in the book entitled "My Golden Flying Years". Anybody has it and can make a quick scan? :-)

Name:  fritz kempf.jpg
Size:  367.2 KB

Name:  arthur rahn.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  375.3 KB

Name:  william barker.jpg
Size:  384.1 KB

Name:  jan olieslagers.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  376.8 KB

Don't like the phrasing of the post-war bit. Will redo it. Besides, just noticed that Olieslagers also appears in Watch Your back. Will replace the Nieuport with the Hanriot HD1

Name:  thomas culling.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  372.6 KB

Same remark as for Ludwig Weber, chose a Sopwith Triplane with no marking as there doesn't seem to be a consensus on what his Triplane looked like.

Name:  kurt jentsch.jpg
Size:  379.2 KB

Same remark again for Jentsch's Pfalz E.I. A lot of unknowns for this guy too. If anybody can fill in the gaps, let me know.

Name:  robert little.jpg
Size:  378.8 KB

Name:  aubrey ellwood.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  367.9 KB

I wonder what Mr Ellwood looked like. Actually, I'd really like to know. There is a picture of him in "Falling Aces: Above the Trenches".
    Has anybody got this book and can scan the pic for me?

Name:  fulco ruffo.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  369.2 KB

Not too sure about the first 2 Units of Ruffo. My Osprey book on Italian aces mentions only 1a, 70a, and 91a.

Name:  rene fonck.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  379.4 KB

Name:  otto kissenberth.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  371.3 KB
    Last edited by christophe fran; 03-07-2012 at 05:31.

These are magnificent! If you have the time, it would be nice to see profile for the two-seaters, as they have quite astounding histories as well.

Thanks. Actually, many of these guys flew two-seaters, especially at the beginning of their flying career. At first I wanted the first profile to show the aircraft they were flying for their first victory, and the second profile to show the machine that is in the Famous Aces set. But I could not always find the right profile, so I gave that up.
    I've started to work on the Watch Your Back set. Stay tuned.

That is a very useful addition of information Christophe.
    Thanks.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Users Country Flag

Name
    Alexandre
    Sorties Flown

I've noticed you didn't had a photo for Aubrey Ellwood. When searching the internet I've found this article with a photo of him from 13 April 1950. It's not in military attire but at least is a photo:
    http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchi...0-%200729.html

Thumbs up

Those are just brilliant Chrostophe!

Quote Originally Posted by Odin_Knight View Post
    I've noticed you didn't had a photo for Aubrey Ellwood. When searching the internet I've found this article with a photo of him from 13 April 1950. It's not in military attire but at least is a photo:
    http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchi...0-%200729.html
    Thanks Alexandre I now know what he looked like, 30 years later.
    Not sure I can use that picture though, that would kind of clash with the rest of the set :-)

Very nice! When you're done, you might want to also upload a template, so people can print up matching cards for their personal repaints.

Not sure what you mean by "personal repaints", but uploading a template is going to be difficult. I use Paint Shop Pro 7, an old but trusted graphic software.
    These PSP files cannot be opened with Photoshop. What I intend to do is post the files as Jpeg in a Zip folder later on (better priting quality).

Yes, nicely done. Do you happen to know what two books Jentsch wrote?

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Yes, nicely done. Do you happen to know what two books Jentsch wrote?
    The German titles are: "Jagdflieger im Feuer" and "Beim Jagdflug tödlich verunglückt".

Users Country Flag

Name
    Alexandre
    Sorties Flown

here is his squadron photo, but I don't know enough to identify him in the photo:
    http://www.theaerodrome.com/services...in/raf/203.php

Quote Originally Posted by Odin_Knight View Post
    here is his squadron photo, but I don't know enough to identify him in the photo:
    http://www.theaerodrome.com/services...in/raf/203.php
    Thanks Alexandre, we are getting closer!
    I am going to try and figure out who he is. Worse comes to worst, I'll use the first pic

Very nice. Good to have these thumbnail sketches of the pilots we fly.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Christophe,
    C'est Magnifique! These really look fantastic. Despite his fame, I can't find an image of Stuart Culley to help you out with.
    The only correction (as you've asked for them) I've noticed is on Collishaw's 1-1/2 Strutter; the unit designation is '3 Wing' rather than '3W Sqn'. The sqns within 3 Wing were apparently named after the colour of their markings however, in this case that could be either red, white or blue! Unlike the US, British unit designations are usually referred to by number only, so '3 Wing' rather than '3rd Wing'.
    BofB

Excellent work was thinking of doing sometime along similar lines.
    Nice to see Thomas Culling there. I have been trying to work out his aircrafts squadron number but have not been able to.
    I had a feeling Udet flew an Eindekker for his first victory!
    Linz

Linz,
    According to 'Above the Trenches' http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...e-The-Trenches, Culling scored all six of his victories in N5444, and was subsequently shot down and killed in N5491.
    According to 'Above the Lines' http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...bove-The-Lines, Udet scored his first victory in Fokker D.III 364/16 with KEK Habsheim.
    BofB

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick62 View Post
    Christophe,
    C'est Magnifique! These really look fantastic. Despite his fame, I can't find an image of Stuart Culley to help you out with.
    The only correction (as you've asked for them) I've noticed is on Collishaw's 1-1/2 Strutter; the unit designation is '3 Wing' rather than '3W Sqn'. The sqns within 3 Wing were apparently named after the colour of their markings however, in this case that could be either red, white or blue! Unlike the US, British unit designations are usually referred to by number only, so '3 Wing' rather than '3rd Wing'.

thanks. i will do the corrections as i receive them. this is the kind of feedback i want. as for pilot's for whom there is no pic, i have to figure out what to use instead. feel free to suggest .
    BofB

Wow, good job,

I recently recieved a book "Sky Fighters of World War One". Its an old Fawcett book vintage 1960 #484.
    It contains biographies of: Roland Garros, Georges Guynemer, Raoul Lufbery, Werner Voss, Rene Fonck, Ernst Udet, Edward Mannock, Elliott White Springs, William Barker & Frank Luke. It has numerous black & white pictures but unfortunately, cheap paper and the passage of time make it unlikely they copy very well. The stories are facinating if usually tragic reading.

Pooh

I have uploaded a PDF file of the Famous Aces set. It's updated. Still have no pic of Ellwood and Culley though, never mind. Btw, I uploaded it in the Fan Artwork section (pending approval), wasn't sure where it belonged.

nicely done!

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Very interesting. Nice to learn about these Aces, thanks.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I finally found a half-decent portrait of Aubrey Ellwood (from the late 40s, mind you). So here it is. I will update the PDF in the file section accordingly.

Name:  aubrey ellwood.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  383.2 KB

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tom
    Sorties Flown

I was just looking through the biographies.
    i don't seem to be able to see the plates of the pilots and their information, can anyone help?
    trumpetman52

Hi Tom.
    I am sorry but I don't understand what you mean. You cannot see the the pictures of the biographies on the thread? Or you cannot open the PDF file in the Fan Artwork file section?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tom
    Sorties Flown

Hello,
    on your other threads, i can see each of the plates with the pilot photo, plane photo, a short history and biographical information.
    on this thread, i can not see anything except for text. Do you have the plates (color brownish) located elsewhere?
    trumpetman52

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tom
    Sorties Flown

Christophe
    I found it in the Fan artwork section
    thanks for your help
    trumpetman52

The one in the Fan artwork section is not the latest. I have uploaded the latest yesterday but I am not sure how long it takes for it to be approved. If you are familiar with the Boardgamegeek website, I have uploaded all my files there as well.
    Regards

hope they hurry up and approve them on here ,for some reason I cant download them from boardgame geek keeps saying I need latest adobe which I have even deleated it and re downloaded adobe but still get same message ?.

I saw these on the geek yesterday. They look awesome. I figured it had to come from one of the folks over here! Great work.

Thanks. Glad you like them. I am working now on the Hit and Run set. This one will take a while to complete though.

Quote Originally Posted by itchy View Post
    hope they hurry up and approve them on here ,for some reason I cant download them from boardgame geek keeps saying I need latest adobe which I have even deleated it and re downloaded adobe but still get same message ?.
    All the files are uploaded on boardgamegeek :-)

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tom
    Sorties Flown

Where do I go on boardgamegeek to find the files
    that site loses me completely
    trumpetman52

Quote Originally Posted by trumpetman52 View Post
    Where do I go on boardgamegeek to find the files
    that site loses me completely
    trumpetman52
    For Burning Drachens, go to: