Ares Games

Thread: WW II Beer Flights

Default WW II Beer Flights

Got this via e-mail. Thought I'd share this with you guys.

In the lighter moments of World War II, the Spitfire was used in an unorthodox role: bringing beer kegs to the men in Normandy. During the war, the Heneger and Constable brewery donated free beer to the troops. After D-Day, supplying the invasion troops in Normandy with vital supplies was already a challenge. Obviously, there was no room in the logistics chain for such luxuries as beer or other types of refreshments. Some men, often called "sourcers", were able to get wine or other niceties "from the land" or rather from the locals. RAF Spitfire pilots came up with an even better idea.

The Spitfire Mk IX was an evolved version of the Spitfire, with pylons under the wings for bombs or tanks. It was discovered that the bomb pylons could also be modified to carry beer kegs. According to pictures that can be found, various sizes of kegs were used. Whether the kegs could be jettisoned in case of emergency is unknown. If the Spitfire flew high enough, the cold air at altitude would even refresh the beer, making it ready for consumption upon arrival.

A variation of this was a long range fuel tank modified to carry beer instead of fuel. The modification even received the official designation Mod. XXX. Propaganda services were quick to pick up on this, which probably explains the "official" designation.

As a result, Spitfires equipped with Mod XXX or keg-carrying pylons were often sent back to Great-Britain for "maintenance" or "liaison" duties. They would then return to Normandy with full beer kegs fitted under the wings.

Typically, the British Revenue of Ministry and Excise stepped in, notifying the brewery that they were in violation of the law by exporting beer without paying the relevant taxes. It seems that Mod. XXX was terminated then, but various squadrons found different ways to refurbish their stocks. Most often, this was done with the unofficial approval of higher echelons.

In his book " Dancing in the Skies", Tony Jonsson, the only Icelander pilot in the RAF, recalled beer runs while he was flying with 65 Squadron. Every week a pilot was sent back to the UK to fill some cleaned-up drop tanks with beer and return to the squadron. Jonsson hated the beer runs as every man on the squadron would be watching you upon arrival. Anyone who made a rough landing and dropped the tanks would be the most hated man on the squadron for an entire week.

Attachment 35618
    Attachment 35619
    Attachment 35620
    Attachment 35621

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

See the Spitfire is a 'multi'-purpose aircraft!

Gives an entirely different perspective on the question. "Does it travel well"
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

The bottom pic is in Johnnie Johnsons Wing Leader book - described as their version of a brewers' dray -
    "Daily this modern version of the brewers' dray flew across the Channel and alighted in St Croix. The beer suffered no ill effects from its unorthodox journey and was more than welcome in or mess" Huzzah !

"He is wise who watches"

And now Shepherd Neame brew a Spitfire Ale - full circle, huh?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Stephen
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Archidamus View Post
    And now Shepherd Neame brew a Spitfire Ale - full circle, huh?
    They have done so for some years. I remember the fuss when they advertised it on the London Underground. Slogans like "The bottle of Britain" were OK, but when they put up one that said "Downed all over Kent - just like the Luftwaffe", there were complaints from German visitors.

Tede

More likely the PC brigade in case anyone was offended ! Quite right too - many were downed over Sussex as well !!

Here's a gong Kytey needs !!

"He is wise who watches"

You can get a model of that Spit:

And this is my favourite poster:

Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    More likely the PC brigade in case anyone was offended ! Quite right too - many were downed over Sussex as well !!

Here's a gong Kytey needs !!

Now why should I need a gong like that to open a bottle of Gin, Squadron Leader?
    Kyte.

I seem to remember something about beer flights being one of the causes of discontent leading to the 'Morotai Mutiny': P40s being used to take senior officers' beer to high altitude to chill it down in the tropical heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Now why should I need a gong like that to open a bottle of Gin, Squadron Leader? Kyte.
    Squadron Leader ?! Sorry, are you talking to me ? Oh yes ! I thought you'd just like a chaser !

Love all the ads - this one did make me chuckle

Don't know what happened to the other one - perhaps someone took it back & went home !
    Last edited by flash; 03-06-2012 at 15:10.

"He is wise who watches"

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick62 View Post
    I seem to remember something about beer flights being one of the causes of discontent leading to the 'Morotai Mutiny': P40s being used to take senior officers' beer to high altitude to chill it down in the tropical heat.
    Yes Baldrick that incident was given a fair bit of exposure in the biography of "Killer" Caldwell the Sqd Leader involved.
    Last edited by 7eat51; 08-09-2013 at 10:20.

A freind sent this to me some time ago. Good to know the helped the troops on the ground.

I soo thought this wa a wind up
    That is so random
    Linz

Jonney Jonhson mentions the beer flights in his book "Wing Leader"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Squadron Leader ?! Sorry, are you talking to me ? Oh yes ! I thought you'd just like a chaser !
    In the true tradition of the RFC./RAF retired Officers keep their rank as a curtesy. So far as I am concerned that is good enough for me Flash old chap.
    Kyte. WC. Out of order.(Rtd)

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick62 View Post
    I was once told a tale of a USAAF group in North Africa trying to chill beer with a high altitude flight when the unpressurised aircraft combined with the pressurised beer to blow the AC in half and kill the crew.

Please exercise caution chaps - we can't replace the aircraft until Nexus get some new sets out.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    :
    Kyte. WC. Out of order.(Rtd)

Guntruck. SL. (unloved, unwanted)
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!