Ares Games

View Poll Results: Which side would you fly for?

Voters
297. You may not vote on this poll
  • Allied

162 54.55%
  • German

135 45.45%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Choose your side!

[QUOTE=Charlie3;547]ok I'm in...I would fly for uh...well...both!!! I tend to prefer the Central Empires but end up flying which ever side needs me on League nights. Such is the life of the organizer. [QUOTE]

I feel your pain. When I first started a local campaign I wanted to fly Central Powers, but ended up with more Allied pilots than German!

We are starting European WW2 campaigns this year, and I have a feeling I'll be taking Hurricanes and Spits for a spin as well as my beloved Emil.

Cheers,

Carl.

Quote Originally Posted by afilter View Post
    At the risk of sounding Non-PC I like to go both ways.
    I suppose going both ways is as PC as possible.

Originally I voted German but at the moment I am falling in love with the Spad... Nasty thing... The perfect thing would be a captured Spad...

Cool German planes are cool

I've always thought that Germany had the best looking planes during the great war. The D VII kicked butt. However, I have to admit the SPAD was very cool as well.

Have Fun,
    VG

I had to take the germans ...

When sharing the box with my wingman, he said something like "german circus" and chosed the allies. I´m afraid, he even will paint Barraca´s SPAD in some kind of olive drab

And - yes, I like the colours of german planes.

BvA

It's the Albert Ball thing again I am afraid. Having been brought up with his statue overlooking my childhood, what else could I do?
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Users Country Flag

Name
    Brian Wetzel
    Sorties Flown

If I can only fly for one side it would have to be the allies. I grew up reading Snoopy and his trusty Sopwith Camel, flying against the Red Baron. The kid becomes an adult but the kid will never die.
    Haystack

Hmm ...

Let me think a little ...

I'm from Germany ...

Which side should i fly for? ...

Of course for the Germanside

Sorry for my Patriotism. I think it's not well seen that a German is proud to be German.

Hi Brian.
    Have you googled Utube- Snoopy vs the Red Baron?
    Rob.

I would love to know how things in Europe would have turned out had Germany won or at least the war ended in a draw. Maybe WWII would never have happened at least in Europe.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dennis
    Sorties Flown

Hm somebody here said he like to play the bad guys... I think germans in WWI where not bad at all, just as patriotic as the french or british. Even for WWII, not all germans were nazis!

And to Niemandsland: I am far away of being a political "right", but I dont think its wrong to be german and patriotic. Our soldiers die in afghanistan as we are all allies now. So why we shouldnt have the right to be patriotic as the british, americans or french are? I am proud to be german as I am proud to be European.

So... I play german cause I am german, but I have no problem to play the allies if it is needed in a game.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Philippe
    Sorties Flown

Red face If I could vote both

Hey my Last name is SCHALL in fact.
    I have some origins linked with the Alsace and Lorraine (now French) territories.
    Once German, once French and so on for several wars long.
    My Grand father spoke French but never wrote it properly due to an always changing school language at that period !
    So yes I am French but my heart is also with Germany due to my boundaries origins !
    Cruel dilemna to vote only for one side !
    I know at war you have to choose your side but guys like "Nungesser", "Fonck" seems to have names that sounds more German than French like mine despite being French Aces !

My ancestry is Scottish - Irish on father’s side and German - Polish on my mother side. I have always had an affinity for the "barbarian" peoples of history. The Nazi period has left such a stain that it's hard for some to look at the good beyond. Many don't realize that the winning side in WWI took up a policy of "revenge" against Germany after the war. This is what created the perfect environment for the fascists to take control. All countries have had moments in history when the government has done questionable or terrible things. It’s not right to brand a race of people by the actions of small band of fanatics. It’s like the “terrorist” situation the world finds itself in today. These small factions with extremist points of view have tainted many people’s view of Muslims. The majority of which are civilized and peace loving.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dennis
    Sorties Flown

Thanks for your statement LGKR, all you said is true!

If you want a mongrel race look at the English! I know that I have Norman French ancestors. My Great grandmother was Scottish, and my mother had French ancestors too.
    My wife has, Irish, Welsh and Jewish stock, and my aunty is married to a Dutchman. In visiting all these parts of Europe I have found that you get the good, the bad, and the ugly! We are all part of the world family, and should remember,as Don said, that most folks are " the good guys ". I am sure that Charlie didn't mean any sort of slight to any other player on the site.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    If you want a mongrel race look at the English! I know that I have Norman French ancestors. My Great grandmother was Scottish, and my mother had French ancestors too.
    My wife has, Irish, Welsh and Jewish stock, and my aunty is married to a Dutchman. In visiting all these parts of Europe I have found that you get the good, the bad, and the ugly! We are all part of the world family, and should remember,as Don said, that most folks are " the good guys ". I am sure that Charlie didn't mean any sort of slight to any other player on the site.
    Rob.
    Poor Charlie. Unfortunately it's thinking from the American perspective that gets us into trouble. We tend to forget that not everyone comes from our experience. Knowing Charlie personally I can vouch that he did not mean any offense, he just tends to speak (or write) before he thinks.

You have to face the sad truth: Central Empires had the best fighters and the best pilots. They lost in the end just because of the sheer number of planes the Allied sent against them.
    Another example of quality outnumbered (literally) by quantity.
    That's the main reason why my sympathy goes to them.

target rich environment
    About TRE, it's a funny thing that it was a common joke amongst Jasta 11 pilots during what Allies remember as "Blood April".

Name
    Gordon Parker
    Sorties Flown

Default Go Canada

Quote Originally Posted by kaufschtick View Post
    I think we all do...
    Not Me!
    Which I guess makes me something of an anomaly. In fact I truly belong to an Allied subset...
    I am 8 generations Canadian on my Mothers side and my Great great great great (?) Grand Uncle was Sir James Tyrrell; accused by that lickspittle Shakespeare of smothering the two little princes in the Tower of London for Richard III (undoubtedly the real culprit was Bolingbroke as he was the only one with anything to gain). At least 8 generations and perhaps more on my Father's side(a noble branch of the UEL in PEI).
    My Father was RCAF (Wellington tailgunner and then Nav on Lancs) and my Grandfather was in the RCA (WW1) and Calgary Tanks (WW2, he joined after Dieppe).
    It was the miniature for Barker's Camel that got me into this game in the first place!
    So I am, by hereditary, barred from the non allies and pretty much morally obligated to only fly Canadians; only.
    Gordon Parker

I do however, REALLY like playing the Darkside in Star Wars Minis! hehehehe

I picked the allies.

My ancestry is mostly German, and I prefer the looks of their colorful planes, but we've got to make the world safe for democracy! (at least that's what president Wilson said.)

Users Country Flag

Name
    Adrian
    Sorties Flown

3/4 Irish, 1/8 English, 1/8 German and all Australian, of course I voted Allies!

I mean someone has to fly for the AFC!

To be honest though, they did have the dullest looking aircraft (in general )

Regards,
    Adrian

i like both of them.
    but usually i enjoy flying for CE in WWI and germans in WWII.

Users Country Flag

Name
    sergio
    Sorties Flown

I am one the German ones
    I love lothar's DrI so I often play with the two Brothers vs my friend nipotrapaul and his spads

Users Country Flag

Name
    Brian
    Sorties Flown

Allies all the way. I wonder what the poll would say if we divided it into WoW and DoW?

Name
    Gordon Parker
    Sorties Flown

Default Pride

Hi Sebastian,
    I think it is great that you are proud of who you are and of your country. Why shouldn't you be?
    Just as I am very proud to be Canadian.
    In WoW I own William Barker's Camel or Snipe. I am re-painting a Nieuport 17 in Billy Bishop's markings and really looking forward to Bishop's Se5a and from the new deluxe set will be a Roy Brown Camel.
    All Canadians that I take great pride in.
    But I also own Richtofen's Dr1 and Roland, Udet's DVII, Kempf's Dr1 and an F-Toy model of Richtofen's Albatros D.III and they have proud places in my collection too.
    One day (hopefully before I die of old age) we may even see a Raymond Collishaw Sopwith Tri-Plane or Camel, or a McKeever Bristol Fighter, or a Carter Spad VII, or an Immelman Eindecker or a Boelcke D.II and I will be proud to add any of these to my collection.
    It is a long long time since the Nazi era and something that probably happened long before you were born and likely before your parents too! Time to let the past be the past. Take pride in the good and learn from the evil.
    Canada has had it's dark shameful times too.
    In WoW I generally fly my Canadian's but would have no problem at all flying Udet's DVII or Richtofen's DR1.
    Of course be proud!

Gord

Quote Originally Posted by Niemandsland View Post
    Hmm ...

Let me think a little ...

I'm from Germany ...

Which side should i fly for? ...

Of course for the Germanside

Sorry for my Patriotism. I think it's not well seen that a German is proud to be German.

Thumbs up Go Canada

Gordon

How have those transplanted planes worked out for you?

As for master Shakespeare we all know who he worked for!

Rich

I flow as a Germanmy during my first WOW game.

But I think, to copte the situations of the game, learn to fly with Allied minis it's a must. I learned playing chess you can prefer white to black chessmen (or vice versa). But you have to learn to play well with both colors to be a good player.

So German but not only.

Attilio

Name
    Gordon Parker
    Sorties Flown

Default Transplants

Quote Originally Posted by richard m schwab View Post
    Gordon

How have those transplanted planes worked out for you?

As for master Shakespeare we all know who he worked for!
    Rich
    Indeed! Just another media flak!
    As for my transplanted fighters; I must say the DVII, as good as it is - and it is very good indeed- is not the absolute aerial master that it is so often reputed to be. I find the Snipe to be the DVII's equal in the game and frankly, so is the Camel. Primarily because the Wings of War Camel's performance DOES NOT degrade at altitude. At 12,000 ft the Camel was still the ultimate dogfighter but above 12,000 the DVII badly outclassed the Camel. Happily for me (as an Allied pilot), this is not reflected in the game.
    The Dr1 is tricksie, no doubt about it, but also quite fragile. I really do like using it (especially my all red Dr1) but this is a fragile dancer not a puncher. I honestly prefer the Camel in most situations.
    I think a good player can score well; indeed very well, in any of these types and I will be very curious to see how the Se5a is represented.
    Ultimately it all comes down to the player doesn't it? I have, in my day, met a lot of poor workmen with fabulous tools.

Gord

Shooter

Well being French, I chose to be on the allied side... even though I've German roots... but also English ones... okay, I had to choose some side, but I guess I'll end up flying both.
    It's just a game.
    Cheers.

Either side I just like to play. Even give me the bomber.

Quote Originally Posted by bleeder View Post
    Allies all the way. I wonder what the poll would say if we divided it into WoW and DoW?
    WoW would win hands down...Allies all the way!

stringbag

Default Allies for me

Ive chosen the allies purely from previous family history, nought to do with morals or politics, although I do tend to play mostly german as their aircraft are so cool.

I thought it was a bit confusing being an Allied pilot but having a Central Powers avatar.
    Rob.

stringbag

I would say 90% of the time I play, I use german aircraft. Other players who tend to use allied aircraft seem to prefer Spads or Nieuports. I suspect this will change once the Se5a's are released.

Quote Originally Posted by stringbag View Post
    I would say 90% of the time I play, I use german aircraft. Other players who tend to use allied aircraft seem to prefer Spads or Nieuports. I suspect this will change once the Se5a's are released.
    I am sure that you are right, I have built a Biff and it has yet to be really challenged by any of the other aircraft even working in threesomes.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    ERIN
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamBarkerVC View Post
    The nice thing about all the votes for the Germans, is that there will be more of you to shoot down. Something a few generations later might call a "target rich environment"
    Catch me if you can Grant!

Users Country Flag

Name
    ERIN
    Sorties Flown

From an aircraft stand point, I like more of the Central Powers machines than the Allied. Having said that, I have some favourites on both sides.

As a 'Mutt' myself, I can take any side and get away with it. I have found there are more Allied volunteers than Central powers, so I tend to go the route of most need.

I probably would go all out for the Australian Air service if it wasn't limited in scope. I think our flying Kanga could give that dog in the Camel a run for his money!
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Snowy; 09-16-2010 at 06:41.

Well, family is from Germany, I've a great uncle that flew over Europe in the War to end All Wars, a vonDoering, i know my family's 200+ year old recipie for German Chocolate cake. Did you know that the buttercream coconut frosting is an americanism of the cake? How many coconut trees grow in Germany naturally?

Germans all the way-they have the most coloured and particular aircrafts
    I always enjoy playing with germans, or Japan in WWII mainly because it's much more interesting

Andre, there were german squadrons that did fly captured spads. Jasta 66 i do believe had a few. I fly one regularly, and repainted one to match.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffvantye View Post
    Well, family is from Germany, I've a great uncle that flew over Europe in the War to end All Wars, a vonDoering, i know my family's 200+ year old recipie for German Chocolate cake. Did you know that the buttercream coconut frosting is an americanism of the cake? How many coconut trees grow in Germany naturally?
    This is incredible. next time you land at our airfield you must bring the recipe. We will give you a night to remember in return.
    Kyte.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffvantye View Post
    Oh I'm sure there were coconuts in some land the germans conquered at some point in history.

I stay with the Belgian airforce... so the alllies have there 92 vote... lol

Users Country Flag

Name
    Gino
    Sorties Flown

Wink

Germans forever ... mmhh no, i think allied are better, for sure.

(same old italian dance)

G.

Have to be the Allies for me, I've never done the Huns in any wargames system that I've played but I do like a lot of the German WW1 planes so that may change in time.

Being a Pole, I'd fight on the German side.
    But it's funny that every time we went on a two man mission, my wingman would get shot down.
    Go figure.

I voted Germany, for a couple reasons:

The in-game names of Klepperman, Kretschmar and Ziegert are all family names.

I am enamored with the Pfalz!

I do enjoy flying allied planes, too, especially my Baracca SPAD and the Snipe (but, who doesn't like flying the Snipe!)

Red blooded American boy here, both wars. I have German planes, but will always prefer to fly for the Allies.

I have some German ancestors, I speak some German, and I lived there. Still American all the way through.

I do like to play either side... depends on my mood of the day... but if forced to choose, I typically choose the "Allied" side of things.

I know this is an older poll, but I have been going through some of the older threads and thought I would put in my nickel's worth.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Allies for me. Specifically the Brits. SE5 is a great WOW mount and I have always been a fan of the F2B

Besides, how can you not be impressed with the RFC individualistic, dazzling airplane color schemes

Mac

Quote Originally Posted by McKeever View Post
    Allies for me. Specifically the Brits. SE5 is a great WOW mount and I have always been a fan of the F2B

Besides, how can you not be impressed with the RFC individualistic, dazzling airplane color schemes

Mac
    Look at some of the R.N.A.S. planes Mac.
    Rob.

Yep. Seen them.

Still can't beat the RFC for those renegade paint jobs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Choose your war.
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Polls
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 02-12-2018, 13:57