Ares Games

View Poll Results: Which side would you fly for?

Voters
297. You may not vote on this poll
  • Allied

162 54.55%
  • German

135 45.45%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Choose your side!

Default Choose your side!

If you could only fly for one side, which would it be?

cmcgill

Looks like the allies are going to need some help

Name
    Holger Hofmann
    Sorties Flown

Oops! To tell the truth I didn't expect more than two votes (Björn and me) for Germany. Now I'm curious to read the reasons.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Christoph
    Sorties Flown

I am one the German ones. My family is originally from Bavaria. My full name is Christoph Heinrich Hintze. My dad was Frederick Mohr Hintze. Not much doubt there.

Christoph

The nice thing about all the votes for the Germans, is that there will be more of you to shoot down. Something a few generations later might call a "target rich environment"

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamBarkerVC View Post
    The nice thing about all the votes for the Germans, is that there will be more of you to shoot down. Something a few generations later might call a "target rich environment"
    LOL!!! I'm with you Grant!

I'll cover your six, now let's go do some damage!

And me with a user name like kaufschtick...go figure.

cmcgill

Default Lots of targets ... Nice

It's always nice to have lot of things to shoot at.

I was kind of surprised with the initial German amounts as well.... with all those Camel avatars!

I'm actually one of those that would play Germans most of the time... but in our local store it works out better if I'm on the Allied side number wise!

Well, I will say this, the Germans in WoW most definately have the more colorful looking airplanes on the whole.

Yes they do, just like in real life for the most part.

jasta6

My favorite pilot in the Great War is Warner Voß, I started liking him when I was about 10 and built the Revel (?) 1/32 Fokker Dr.1 kit. I loved the streaked green camo and the fact that he took on up to seven S.E. 5a's and damaged all the enemy planes. I also have German heritage that helped.

Jim P

Quote Originally Posted by jasta6 View Post
    My favorite pilot in the Great War is Warner Voß, I started liking him when I was about 10 and built the Revel (?) 1/32 Fokker Dr.1 kit. I loved the streaked green camo and the fact that he took on up to seven S.E. 5a's and damaged all the enemy planes. I also have German heritage that helped.

Jim P
    There was great episode on the History Channels' DogFights series on that particular dogfight.

Absolutely incredible!

Boelcke would get my vote as far as WWI pilots of either side.

jasta6

Quote Originally Posted by kaufschtick View Post
    There was great episode on the History Channels' DogFights series on that particular dogfight.

Absolutely incredible!

Boelcke would get my vote as far as WWI pilots of either side.
    Darn, I missed that one. I'll have t see if they are selling that one.

Boelcke is a good choice, the farther of fighter tactics...

Jim P

LOL!!! I'm with you Grant!

I'll cover your six, now let's go do some damage!

And me with a user name like kaufschtick...go figure.
    Shhh... don't tell anyone, but Ich war in Deutschland geboren!

Talking A wolf in sheeps clothing!?!

Shhh... don't tell anyone, but Ich war in Deutschland geboren!

You ought to be ashamed of yourself then, now hadn't you! Choosing the Allies...

Shame on you.

Well now, while I'm covering your six then...

Maybe I'll just test the ole' machine guns out here...

(Sniffles like Barney Fife; adjusts waistline of pants )
    Last edited by kaufschtick; 08-30-2009 at 09:59.

Name
    Holger Hofmann
    Sorties Flown

Caution Rob, all those 'Allies' above have some connections to Germany. Looks like they are spys, better get them down right now.

*evilgrin*

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Nekrodamus View Post
    Caution Rob, all those 'Allies' above have some connections to Germany. Looks like they are spys, better get them down right now.

*evilgrin*
    I think we all do...

Let's see here, my wifes' maiden name is Kohlmorgen. My Grandmothers' maiden names were Villebraunt & Binegar.

My favorite German woman is St. Pauli Girl though!

(I hope my wife doesn't see that!!)

I like to goof around on the boards here, so don't take me too seriously...

PS- Good Lord, the avatars on this site are just super! I mean the ones provided here, really, really super looking!
    Last edited by kaufschtick; 08-30-2009 at 13:37.

Its No. 4 Squadron AFC for me

PS- Good Lord, the avatars on this site are just super! I mean the ones provided here, really, really super looking!

Why thank you. But the real thanks has to go to Auletta for drawing the wonderful aircraft for the game and Andrea for sending them to me and allowing me to use them.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    Why thank you. But the real thanks has to go to Auletta for drawing the wonderful aircraft for the game and Andrea for sending them to me and allowing me to use them.
    Well, they did a great job with creating the game and with the illustrations, and you've done a great job putting it all together here with this site!

Name
    Holger Hofmann
    Sorties Flown

I think we all do...

Let's see here, my wifes' maiden name is Kohlmorgen. My Grandmothers' maiden names were Villebraunt & Binegar.

My favorite German woman is St. Pauli Girl though!

(I hope my wife doesn't see that!!)

I like to goof around on the boards here, so don't take me too seriously...

Much to our regret your forefathers didn't choose German as your language. International contacts would have been way more easy - at least for us Germans.

Just checked your St. Pauli Girl and I think it perfectly serves the German prejudice about the Americans' extremly reduced view of Germany. +

tyree67

Default Germany

I had to go with Germany too. My grandfather family came from the Hesse area in Germany around 1850. I love playing the other side of a war. I also play Germany in Axis & Allies miniatures.

Name
    Holger Hofmann
    Sorties Flown

Meanwhile I'm wondering why there are any votes for the Allies at all.

But this works fine the other way too: A forefather (german soldier serving in England in the 18th century) of my father (red hair in his youth) married a girl from Ireland and the birth name of my mother is Clemens (some of her forefathers were Huguenots who emigrated to Prussia).

Users Country Flag

Name
    John
    Sorties Flown

I have to go with the Allies.

Question

Just checked your St. Pauli Girl and I think it perfectly serves the German prejudice about the Americans' extremly reduced view of Germany. +
    Well, I'm sorry to hear that my fondness for St. Pauli Girl beer perfectly serves your view on German prejudices about Americans' extremely reduced view of Germany.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what you are talking about, and I don't think I want to get drawn into a discussion on "prejudices" and "reduced views" here either. Sounds a little too serious for my liking, thanks anyway.

If you've taken offense to my lighthearted humor, I can only assure you that was not my intent, as I've previously stated.
    Last edited by kaufschtick; 08-31-2009 at 21:23.

Name
    Holger Hofmann
    Sorties Flown

First of I really like your humor, it seams to fit my type of it very well. Unfortunately I have troubles to express my thoughts in correct English. Especially while trying to be ironic, ingenious or just funny...

Just a little explanation: A lot of (simple minded) Germans think that Americans reduce us to Oktoberfest, Sauerkraut and the like. Of course that's as stupid as assuming all Germans know about the USA are Cowboys and Hollywood.

Now seeing a beer produced in Bremen (large but boring), named by the infamous amusement strip of a competing northern city (Hamburg) and combined with a picture of a bavarian style maiden ...

By the way Germans would never accept such a 'mixed beer' and expect a 'St.Pauli Girl' to be (un)dressed completely different.

Sorry for OT!
    Last edited by Nekrodamus; 09-01-2009 at 05:10.

ok I'm in...I would fly for uh...well...both!!! I tend to prefer the Central Empires but end up flying which ever side needs me on League nights. Such is the life of the organizer.

In reality I think most gamers prefer to play the side that lost historically. It is our need to prove that we know what went wrong and know how to fix it. Here in the U.S. especially we tend to support the underdog. Which can mean the one that is out numbered or at any disadvantage in the game or the one we know will lose historically.

I know that I have always seemed to needed to play the "BAD GUYS" in order to get non gamers intrested in playing. Besides in my opinion the Dr.1 is the most elegant looking plane from that time period, next would be the graceful lines of the Taube, and finally the Albatross family.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie3 View Post
    I tend to prefer the Central Empires but end up flying which ever side needs me on League nights. Such is the life of the organizer.
    I know what you mean!

Lightbulb

Unfortunately I have troubles to express my thoughts in correct English. Especially while trying to be ironic, ingenious or just funny...
    Whew... I sure thought that you had taken exception to my less than sophisticated sense of humor.

Glad to see I was wrong.

Again, no offense intended and sorry for the confusion.

I would fly for the Allies, but in our club campaign I ended up on the German side

Although I was born and rased in Britian, during WW2 my Grandfather was on the U-Boats and got the Iron cross, so I always go for the Germans when playing WOW and DOW. Family loyality and all that!!

I always fly German, my other half always flies Allies (WoW or DoW)..

He grew up reading Biggles and the first model plane I made (very girly, I know) was an airfix Bf109 E

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie3 View Post
    ok I'm in...I would fly for uh...well...both!!! I tend to prefer the Central Empires but end up flying which ever side needs me on League nights. Such is the life of the organizer.
    That is the Iron Cross I bear as well.

Every since I was lil lad I have loved the look of the German aircraft.

from the Bf 109 to my all time fav the Stuka Ju 87 A-D & G and not to forget as well the Fw 190.

and now seeing the WWI planes I like the Fokker Dr I and the Fokker D VII
    also the LVG caught my eye as well.

Not that I have anything against the Allied planes, I have a great respect and admiration for the Spad XIII, Sopwith Camel, Nieuport 17, Spitfire, Hurricane, P-51 Mustang, P-38 Lightning, and the IL2 Sturmovik...

Cheers
    GW

Users Country Flag

Name
    Chris
    Sorties Flown

I too love the look of the German aircraft and of course their flyers were higher profile than the Allies. However I'll stick to flying for dear old blighty as, between you and me, I know the end result!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gauntlet View Post
    I between you and me, I know the end result!!!
    What ever you do, don't tell me......I hate when people spoil the endings of a book before I've had a chance to read it myself!!!

It's amazing how this poll evened out, with the initial flood of German pilots. Very interesting, although there will be less to shoot down to go around, now...

It's amazing how this poll evened out, with the initial flood of German pilots. Very interesting, although there will be less to shoot down to go around, now...
    Just like in the real wars, the Allies were slow to start but got up to speed very quickly!

Allies for me ! , but think its all those pretty german planes that swings it - the RFC has such boring colour schemes

German (WWI) because of the colourful planes and the L deck!

Quote Originally Posted by The Blue Baron View Post
    German (WWI) because of the colourful planes and the L deck!
    Yeah, I'm with you on that one, that L deck has some real cheeky cards in it!!

Default Side

I am Italian my preferred airplanes are the Spad XIII and the Hanriot DHI, I am an fan of Renè Paul Fonck (the anti hero), therefore I can choose only the allied side
    Paolo

Users Country Flag

Name
    David
    Sorties Flown

Both the uniforms and the German aircraft always seemed to me to be the most elegant.

I prefer playing with the German decree (Fokker D.VII of Ernst Udet) but it does not matter for me to use the Entente aircraft.

I've voted German. The reason is threefold:
    1) Their aircraft just look nicer
    2) There's a lot of their old airfields around here.
    3) Stories I heard when I was a kid from old people and grandparents about the great war.

ptah1888

Well, right now my brother and I are alternating sides until we figure out our favorite planes. As for which side I would pick, I'd owe it to my great-grandfather to pick the Allies. He was wounded serving with the U.S. Army's 1st Gas Regiment.

Name
    Andreas
    Sorties Flown

I went with Germany only because my German side of the family lost alot of money and land in WWI. I figure the least the Imperial Goverment can do is keep me supplied with aircraft to get shot out of the sky with.

Seriously though my Great Grandmother was a minor dutchess and lost it all during the first one. She then married well gained some of it back just to have WWII break out. Her Hubby (aka my Great Grandad) was killed during WWII and of course Germany lost, so again she lost it all. She was one of the strongest people Ive ever known. But by Gosh she was strict! She also tought me what it means to value everything, and that sometimes being the richest doesnt mean you have the fullest life.

Allies. And I would have joined up early and fought with the British.

Hmm... this is actually a hard call... I play the central empires in our games (and I assume that the question Could be either WWI or II), but I do that because no one else really wants to play them... and I like being the bad guy. If we were talking world policy, it would probably be different.. but until then, "I am a [jelly] donut". (Points to the people who know what that means!)

At the risk of sounding Non-PC I like to go both ways.

I did vote Allies....the TRE (Target Rich Environment) comment swayed me.

Thumbs up Question

I thought this was directed to the WW1 gang. So i will say that when i do fly WW1 it is as a German. WW2 it depends on the Theater, in Europe i do German
    in the Pacific U.S.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Choose your war.
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Polls
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 02-12-2018, 13:57