Ares Games

Thread: Con Medals

Default Con Medals

Before we get too far in to this year's Con season, I would like to take this time to layout the requirements for Con Medals.

Frequency:
    Only annual Cons are eligible to have a Con Medal.

Size:
    This size pertains to the geographical area that the Con services, not the number of attendees. In order to qualify for a Con Medal, the Con must be at least a State/Province area event. City and/or store Cons do not qualify.

Requesting the creation of the Con Medal:
    During the planning stage of setting up Wings of War/Glory events at an up coming Con, please send me a PM with the dates and planned events. I will need enough lead time to task Max Headroom with designing the medal (could take several weeks due to lack of net access from time to time) and then add it to the server and site coding on my end.

Con Medal Levels

Con Participant
    Iron Medal
    Any member of the Aerodrome that attends the Con and plays in one of the events ran by one of our Event GMs. Anyone joining the site after the Con, but that did play in the Con events are eligible as well.

Sample medal:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RockCon01a.png 
Views:	253 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	38429

Con Wingman
    Bronze Medal
    This medal is issued only to those members that officially help with an event at the request of the Event GM/Event Organizer. A player just helping out during the game does not qualify. A Wingman needs to be selected and notified prior to the event starting.

Sample medal:

Name:	RockCon2a.png 
Views:	252 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	38430

Con Event GM
    Silver Medal
    The Event Game Master is the person that is running an event or demo of Wings of War/Glory at the Con. They have preplanned the event, submitted it to the Event Organizer/Con officials and been approved to run the event.

Sample medal:

Con Event Organizer
    Gold Medal
    The Event Organizer is the person singularly responsible for organizing the other members to setup and run events. He or she is typically the interface between the Wings of War/Glory group and the Con Officials. Not every Con will have someone in this role. This person will also be the one responsible for submitting medal request for the Event GM and Wingman level medals. They can also submit request for Participant level medals if the know them. Please use the "Recommend Medal" link next to your Con Medal on the Medals page for each member.

Sample medal:

Name:	RockCon4a.png 
Views:	251 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	38431

If a member attends the Con for a second year, a Bronze Star will be added to his medal, a Silver one for the 3rd year and finally a Gold Star for his 4th year and the final upgrade to the medal.

I missed Historicon last year but will be there this year. Will look for any info for game or other things that may appera for that Con.

There are two other events held by HMGS East. Cold War is next month. Actually in two weeks and Fall in is later in the year. Have to see what is happening for them. I was going to Cold Wars that Friday, 9 March but can't get off work but may have to see what happens that weekend.

Crashx, Beer&pretzels and I will all be running events at this years RocCon.. and possibly helping out on each others games as well.. this looks like a time to shine..

The medals are upgrades... so if you are an Event GM, you would get that medal and not a Wingman one

it's all good Skipper...

If any of the Ohio Wing is running a game at Origins, I am willing to be a wingman and a player. If you do not need help, I would love to play.

Hi Lance, we are running quite a few games at Origins. We have a whole section here on the site dedicated to that Con.

Yeh, we'll have international attendence at Origins
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

HMGS-MidSouth annually hosts NashCon in Nashille, Tennessee over the U.S. Memorial Day Holiday weekend. I am submitting a proposal to the NashCon Organizers for me to GM Wings of War during this years convention. This is the Con website: http://hmgs-midsouth.org/nashcon/

I updated the first post with the new Con Medal progression rules and medal images.

Who do I talk to about getting a simple con medal for Alcatraz and myself for Origins 2013? Is a qualified con for the medal?

If I may make a suggestion - have "swords and diamonds" or some such addition added to medals where the recipient travelled at least 500(?) miles to get to the con - or possibly a separate medal.

At Wintercon and Cancon, we've had participants that drove 1000km or more to get there, and not on Freeways either. The equivalent of London to Rome, or Chicago to Houston.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    If I may make a suggestion - have "swords and diamonds" or some such addition added to medals where the recipient travelled at least 500(?) miles to get to the con - or possibly a separate medal.

At Wintercon and Cancon, we've had participants that drove 1000km or more to get there, and not on Freeways either. The equivalent of London to Rome, or Chicago to Houston.
    I will kick it around but getting the con medals for some of the new cons that have not been recognized yet is my first priority. I will also be adding the Wintercon Second Year medals so that you can get yours as well... just give me a day or two.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post

A great suggestion, but it my be hard to track and award. Someone would have to verify the distanced traveled and all that. I also want to keep the number of different con medals manageable. Are system right now using 16 individual medals for a fully "flushed out" con. There are four different levels and a max of four years for each one. It's a lot of work on everyone's part to do these.

Thanks for the metal and great skies for you all.

Grimcall

For the UK con medals, although most have city names, Sheffield Triples, Derby World championships to name two, they are all generally county based so I take it they will still be eligible?

Who's keeping up with awarding medals?? So far I'm missing 3, 1 minor Con(Owlcon Houston), Matt56 Memorial Medal and Donation's Medal???

I don't know if anyone has taken over the duty from Matt yet but If you've requested them PM Oberst Hajj, he should be able to answer the query for you.

"He is wise who watches"

Medal orders are going through Keith and Rob (Kyte) as far as I’m aware...

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Thank You Gentlemen, will do.