• 41-50

250 33.11%
  • 51-60

171 22.65%
  • 61 and over

55 7.28%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: A more mature game?

I know from what I've seen on the site that there are a number of parents like me who have children who play WOW, but the poll wouldn't reflect this. My son, aged 10, will likely place his vote later today and that will be the lone under 18 vote in the poll. As I heard others say, if the parents aren't into board games or role playing games, the kids just don't seem to gravitate that way these days. It was my sons interest in WWI and WWII that got us started in WOW. We bought him the minis before we even knew about the actual game. Luckily my friend played, explained the game, and we were hooked ever since.

Scott

Heh heh ... um, uh, wow this is embarrassing. See that one vote under under 18? Yeah thats me. I'm 11 years old. Heh heh...(sigh).

Hunter
    Last edited by Aero825; 09-26-2010 at 12:25. Reason: My birthday was two weeks ago

Fearnow

but you play, which is the important part.

Default Age has nothing to do with it. It's the kid in you.

I'm 60 and still like a good game. My wife of 39years and two Kids of 30 and 28 are older than me when it comes to kid stuff. I started war gaming with Avalon Hill games and have been and well be at it until I die.

LONG LIVE THE GAME

I think another contributing factor is that as a generalisation the majority have played lots of different game types and rules resulting in the fact that we know a good game when we see one!

Despite Wings of War's ability to attract gamers of all ages, I won't say it brings out the maturity in those gamers. The trash talk across the table last time I played was hilariously immature, yet fun!

I have been a war game nut sonce i was a kid and have transfered this to my sons :-)
    They are now 18 and 21 but we still get together for some death and destruction and suck their friends into a game now and again. Better a game around a table than staring at a tv screen all the time.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Jythier View Post
    Despite Wings of War's ability to attract gamers of all ages, I won't say it brings out the maturity in those gamers. The trash talk across the table last time I played was hilariously immature, yet fun!
    Have you been into the Officers club recently?
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Indeed, it's the kid in you, that was good But I'm little suprised that here are quite few aged 25-or-younger, my own magical number is 23.
    Some of my friends think that this game can't be for adults, but they can't be more wrong.

I'm 70 but I often think the digits got reversed......
    John.
    P.S. What happened to your signature image Kytey, or can everyone else see it? I just get (SIGPIC)(/SIGPIC) displayed....

Gray Wolf

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Mike George View Post
    I'm 60 and still like a good game. My wife of 39years and two Kids of 30 and 28 are older than me when it comes to kid stuff. I started war gaming with Avalon Hill games and have been and well be at it until I die.

Right on Mike George!
    Gray Wolf
    LONG LIVE THE GAME

I was pretty shocked at the age spread until I gave more thought to the subject matter in the game. If the identical game mechanic was applied to spaceships, the demographics would skew much younger, I think.

I'm 40, married w/children. I'm going to introduce the game to my 8 year old tomorrow. He is already a table top game veteran, so I think he'll eat this up!

My big worry is that the planes look so great, they'll all end up in my kids' room. Just like my heroclix, my monstepocalypse....

Hi Dave. Just for the record, my son (Hunter) started playing when he was about 8 (he's 11 now and you know him as Aero825 here at the Aerodrome) and he was immediately hooked on the game, as was I. We never had an issue with the minis as we set aside a very safe place to keep them all. We've always kept them in their boxes, in a special drawer so as to keep them safe and sound. I have no doubt that you are in for countless hours of fun with your son playing WOW. Even as I type this my son and I are involved in a bombing mission where he is the defender and I'm the attacker. We're just taking a little break since our missions tend to take awhile as he records everything that happens and takes pictures also! He then posts the write up in the missions section of the forums.

There's nothing quite like the father/son bond when playing games like Wings of War. You're in for a real treat!! (BTW, in case you were wondering I'm 46)

Scott

Great to hear, Scott. RE: taking care with the planes, I have no worries about the 8 year old. Its the 4 year old and the 1 year old (both boys, as well) that worry me.

Both the older ones love to decorate their room with gaming miniatures. Which is very cool...

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Goering Ace View Post
    Hi Dave. Just for the record, my son (Hunter) started playing when he was about 8 (he's 11 now and you know him as Aero825 here at the Aerodrome) and he was immediately hooked on the game, as was I. We never had an issue with the minis as we set aside a very safe place to keep them all. We've always kept them in their boxes, in a special drawer so as to keep them safe and sound. I have no doubt that you are in for countless hours of fun with your son playing WOW. Even as I type this my son and I are involved in a bombing mission where he is the defender and I'm the attacker. We're just taking a little break since our missions tend to take awhile as he records everything that happens and takes pictures also! He then posts the write up in the missions section of the forums.

There's nothing quite like the father/son bond when playing games like Wings of War. You're in for a real treat!! (BTW, in case you were wondering I'm 46)

Scott

Users Country Flag

Name
    Abe
    Sorties Flown

As a hex-and-counter wargamer, I have to say the poll results actually look young. I was born in 1975 and I am almost always the youngest player at a gaming group or even small convention. I guess this game gets some of the younger Eurogame crowd involved.

Here 15-My brother's 10
    I've discovered WoW on internet a few years ago

Finally! Another Under 18 year-old!

Hunter

Older folks tend to play minis and boardgames while the younger play on their computers or game consoles.

My 19 and 23 year old kids like playing this one though; especially in a mass gaggle of aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    I've noticed that a lot of WoW players are older then many other gamers. So, let see what the average ages is here at the Aerodrome.
    That's rather refreshing to see so many 'older' gamers playing this game. I've played many a game that was ruined by tempestuous teens and below. Yes there are ones who can play without whining or crying, and yes there are adults who are no fun. However, I'd say 75%+ of my games involving youngsters (war/miniature games at any rate) have gone poorly as they just didn't have the attention for it, and moan incessantly.

I much prefer playing with an 'older' crowd.

Pushing 42, and still enjoying the gamers life.
    Last edited by filtonflyer; 10-11-2010 at 10:13. Reason: Grammer

I'm happy at 45 I'm in the most represented group in the poll

Well i am 21 again for the 14th year running

cyteen02

I find the main advantage of returning to gaming in my later years (ie from my 30s onwards) is I actually have some money occasionally to buy my gaming supplies. When I first started as a teenage gamer I was constantly broke, and played lots of games with home made cardboard counters

Quote Originally Posted by cyteen02 View Post
    I find the main advantage of returning to gaming in my later years (ie from my 30s onwards) is I actually have some money occasionally to buy my gaming supplies. When I first started as a teenage gamer I was constantly broke, and played lots of games with home made cardboard counters
    I have found that when you are young you have plenty of time to play, but no money for "toys." When your older, you have the money but no time to play.

Ok this was one of my 1st minis games. My brother and I took wood scraps and made tanks. They were 3 pieces, the base, the turret and the barrel. We moved them along by kicking them with our feet. If they turned over they hit a mine and blow-up. Once we moved we would pick up the biggest rock we could find and launch it at the other tank. If the turret broke off it was destroyed. Oh, also you had to stand behind your tank at all times. Yes we got our shins beat up... but that's war.

Cyteen02 reminded me of those times when he mentioned "home made"... thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cyteen02 View Post

Users Country Flag

Name
    Gino
    Sorties Flown

In my group the youngest is 38 and the oldest is 44.

We are used to play WoW, Axis&Allies Miniatures and Axis&Allies Boardgame.

I think few players, under 30, like historical boardgames or wargames.

G.

We have a very broad age range, from 16 to myself at 61. The kids, as I refere to anyone younger than 40, just like to play the game. I don't think that they even have any idea when WW1 happened or even who was who! Sadly our new generation lacks in historic education. History is a good thing - "don't make the same boo boo twice". And yes, they are into Sci-fi & fantasy, this, they can relate to. While history is a dark void.
    Joe

Default what's in a age

games are a good way to relax and have a good time! so age don't matter! you just lern so thing!!

Hey! We don't want to get too deep here, after all it's just a game. And it's a lot of FUN!!!
    Enjoy! Joe

The game does seem to have a good number of us 'older gamers', but I think the age spread shows a fairly universal appeal and says a huge amount for the playability of the game. Both children and those in their second childhood (like I ever left the first one) can understand the game and enjoy the play.

DougB

Someone in this thread has probably already beaten me to the punchline, but I assume that we are talking chronological age and not level of maturity

I think it awesome that the majority of the members here are between 30 and 60 years old. It shows that even though we mature and find responsibility in life and its choices, we can still let out the kid in ourselves and enjoy our "toys" (As my 80 year old father puts it.)

I became hooked as a teen on Ace of Aces, as part of a High School Strategy Club. It is my hope that once I get moved and settled in the later part of this year I will be able to find a High School that has (or might be interested in) a similar Club and to volunteer as an adviser and introduce WoW to a bright young group of teenagers! Maybe we can eventually fill out the bottom end of that chart as well!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Quote Originally Posted by DougB View Post
    Someone in this thread has probably already beaten me to the punchline, but I assume that we are talking chronological age and not level of maturity
    Oh heck yes. I may be 50 years old but mentally I'm still in my childhood

Y'know, a guy I once worked with on a project to meet my HS graduation requirements always used to say:
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood..."

LOL

I am 54. My daughter is 25 and dates a Army officer. After playing 1 game. I have him wanting another try. He says it is like playing a video game in slow mo.

lcool1970

I'll be 41 in a couple of weeks and I play the game with my 12 year old son.

LOL....I laughed when I saw this poll....Of course its played by us old farts, who else could afford the dang miniatures?

55 years old (or 55,000,000 according to my girls) - but I work on 1 month old mentally for every year physically so about 4 and a half

Been playing wargames since I was 11, and belong to a club that's been going for well over 40 years - with a wide age range in membership (and a number of father / son duos).

Mabon

I'm 30, but the game appeals to my love of history and historical gaming. I was raised on the old American Heritage games (Dogfight anyone?) when other kids were getting Game Boys. I'm active in two gaming groups, one aged 22 to me and one me up to 39. The younger group is the one that has followed my lead with WoW, and we only do WWI on top of that, so I don't think the game is only for the elders.

I'm glad to see more people are now in my age group. Don't seem so lonely now. I wonder how many of the people who put 50 to 60 originally are now in our group of seniors?
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I'm glad to see more people are now in my age group. Don't seem so lonely now. I wonder how many of the people who put 50 to 60 originally are now in our group of seniors?
    Rob.
    I started as a senior and getting younger by the day ha ha

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Our group ranges from 12 years to 55 years (me). there's one other 'old timer' at 54 and the majority are 20 somethings with a new feller in his mid thirties. It would be especially fun if they could all play together! That would be almost a dozen. What dogfights I envision. Someday perhaps. Usually we have between 3 and 5 play each week, with two of us being the most consistent.

I'm not surprised that there's a lot of us middle-aged gits on here, for much the same reasons that Sparty brings up.

This may sound a bit biased (and I suppose it is), but I feel as though younger individuals are less enthralled with history than members of older generations. While I won't try to put my foot in my own mouth here by tossing out superlative comments, this seemed like it might be a factor. Clearly there are people who enjoy Wings of War for a variety of reasons:
    • Collectability
    • Miniatures (they're fun!)
    • Great Game-play
    • Historic Relevance
    • All of The Above

It is apparent that many of the people here are drawn not only to the game-play, but the time period. While I do not consider myself to be a bonefied war gamer, or armchair historian, I do feel a strong connection to these planes, their pilots, and the history surrounding the Great War. I'm 27 (soon to be 28 in December), and I definitely seem to be an aberration in contrast to my other gaming friends. I think Wings of War would see an upsurge in younger gamers as well if the products were more accessible. Hopefully the shake-up at Nexus will increase distribution so that more copies of the game can get placed in the hands of curious youngsters (people like myself included).

Lugz

Nice to be a member of the majority here
    We must surely be aces. So many brave pilots survived the Great War being so old

I was born in 78 so i'm 33 now, so I guess that I fall into the youthfull category!

On the Historical vs. the Sci-fi & Fantasy gaming I find it really simple to explain. It's all about exposure...

Think about it, in the last 25 years, fantasy and sci-fi have rolled into firstly the teenagers lives and lately well into the pree-teen lives also. The biggest reason for this is Media, and I'm not only talking computer and console games. I'm especially refering to the Movies, Television and also Toys. Kids these days are being bombarded with cartoons filled with aliens shooting big laser guns or cute talking dragons and so on and so forth. It isn't that hard to understand that they have an easier time to relate to the Sci-fi and Fantasy games out there, when it's all so familiar to them.
    Most kids or teenagers the last 10 years at least, have never seen a "real" warmovie. That is also partly due to the fact, that the never series and movies made about the wars are far to reallistic and bloody to expose to the younglings.

Take that and combine this with the lack of 20th century history being taught in schools today. I can remember that I didn't have any lessons myself regarding the 20th century until high-school, and they didn't cover anything from 1939 and onward. I was appalled when I read that they here in denmark in a highschool a few years back, had a questionere were not one student could answer what happened on the 6th of june 1944, or for that matter the 7th of december 1941.

I also mentioned Toys, and that also has a big impact. If you look at what toys are cool today and wich were cool when you where younger, I think that most of the guys in here will remember having this really cool warbird, panzer or toy gun to play with. Those war-toys aren't really that interesting for the kids anymore in comparison to the walking talking radio-controlled Dinosaurs etc.

Let's face it! Most kids and teenagers these days don't get exposed to any Great War and WWII related things, unless mommy, daddy or one of the grandparents get the kids involved with this stuff.

Best thing would be, to take out those old toys you have and watch the kiddies go all stary-eyed when you give them a little history lesson to boot, kids all ages loves story's. And at some point find those old warmovies and watch them with you older kids.
    I remember having a blast watching things like the Dirty Dozen, Kelly's Heroes, Where Eagles Dare, The Blue Max (The Blue Ursula ), Von Richthofen and Brown, Operation Crossbow, The Battle of Britain, The Longest Day, and Patton, with my old man when I was about 10-13 years old.
    As a matter of fact we still do it everytime we get the chance today, but the mug of hot chocolate has been switched with a glass of Islay single malt whiskey, and a few of the more recent movies have made it onto the playlist aswell.

Whew!! my mouth is dry from that simple explanation, off to the Bar then and maybe a movie later!

Cheers!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Steve
    Sorties Flown

I'm 62 and have been gaming since I was about 12 and still love to play! It keeps your mind nimble!! Okie

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Custom Computer Game
    By Walahalla in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-25-2009, 07:07
  2. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-04-2009, 02:46