250 33.11%
  • 51-60

171 22.65%
  • 61 and over

55 7.28%
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: A more mature game?

Default A more mature game?

I've noticed that a lot of WoW players are older then many other gamers. So, let see what the average ages is here at the Aerodrome.

Interesting stats to date, and frankly what I would have expected. Certainly stands up to my local group, although we might be more in the 30-40 crowd, with a smattering of younger and older.

Same thing honestly with other historical games. We also play Trafalgar, and the players are 3 older and one really young, it's tough to get the young folks away from the bolters and lascannons.

Very true and my local group supports this as well.

Everybody in my group is around 30 as well. The youngest is 26 and the oldest 33, IIRC.

Default Age

In the group we only have maybe 5 or 6 adults and 7 to 10 teens. And out of the adults only about 2 or 4 are there on any Friday. I guess we're backwards out here in Ohio. he he

Tom

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kirk
    Sorties Flown

I put my age of 48 in the poll, but my 14 year old son really enjoys it as well.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Christoph
    Sorties Flown

I'm 52 but both my 16yo & 14yo sons love the game, espeacially the 14yo.

Christoph

My friends and I have been gamming together since our University Days (I think we studied at the Library of Alexandria)....anyways, we are all in the 50-ish range, with myself being one of the older ones at 58......tempus fugit

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

For this type of game the results are as I would expect as well. A friend of mine and I were talking a couple of months ago about how "our generation" does this kind of stuff, while the newer generation goes for the computer sims.
    I officially started my gaming "life" in 1974 with the original rules for Dungeons and Dragons. Around the same time I was introduced to Avalon Hill Games and Strategy and Tactics Magazine. A friend decided to give up gaming and gave me his collection which included: Sniper, Patrol, Tank, and a few other board games. Too bad the kids of today do not want to sit down and THINK about their games.

Good Luck to all and Happy Hunting

The majority of the guys I war game with are between 25 and 50.

For WOW and DOW we average around the 40 mark, but we do get a few under 18's join us from time to time.........however, we end up having to spend most of our time explaning what the different coloured roundalls and wing markings mean!!

I guess WW1 and WW2 avaition is not very high on there schools history subjects!!

I have only had the chance to play with my own family but everyone loves the game from the youngest at 8 to the oldest at 60.

Setarius is right, computer games dominate the younger generations but I think it has more to do with a lack of parents sitting down with their kids and playing board games. I believe kids today see their computer games as "Thinking" games because no one has shown them anything else. I happen to love chess but I doubt I would have ever played it if my Dad had not taken the time to teach and play chess with me and my brother.

There is hope for the younlings if we convert them one gamer at a time!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Alex
    Sorties Flown

Well it doesn't help when the youth don't know what the planes are! Let me pass this experience onto you. When the minis were released here in the UK, I rang my local gaming shop to find out when they would have stock in. The response I got was Amazing. I asked the question and the young man in the shop wasn't sure what I was asking about and asked what models I was looking for. I tod him I was after the Spitfire and that was as far as I got. He interupted me and asked "What is that?" Fortunately I was already seated! I could not believe that he didn't know what a Spitfire was!! I tried to explain but he still didn't know!

There is no surpise, after that encounter, that the game attracts the older gamer.

Yes it is a sad day when a young fella in the UK does not know what a "Spitfire" is! I don't know how the schools are structured over there but 20 years ago when I was in high school, standardized testing was the latest and greatest teaching strategy. Unfortunately, subjects like history do not fit well into standardized testing. (Reading, Writing, and Math only.)

I have always loved history but we never even made it to the 20th century in my American History classes. So most of the kids I was in school with who did not seek out the history on their own did not even get exposed to it in school. From what I understand, it is no better now.

How sad is that when your country, the United States, only has 230+ years of history (as an independent nation) and the school system can't even get you into the 20th century over the course of a year!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Alex
    Sorties Flown

In the UK they learn all about the Wiemar Republic and its political system. It is 20th century, but so dry and boring!

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

The way the school systems I attended were set up you had "World History". This class took you from England in the early 1700's to the U.S. in the late 1930's and went no further. You prett much got this same material from the time you were in 5th grade until you graduated from High School. When I asked why we do not go past 1939 I was told that is current History and people know about it.

I attended school in Indiana, Michigan, and Kentucky here in the U.S.

College was no better because you had "World History" classes or "U.S. History" classes and both of them ended in 1939. Now these classes were more detailed but, when 2 major World Wars were fought and these classes spent a total of 2 days on WWI, only because it was in their timelines, what does that say about using the phrase about remembering the past or you are doomed to repeat it.

Our local comic book store, which is the closest thing to a gaming store we have, the people that run it are usually playing the "Magic the Gathering" card game and sit there and say if you need anything ask and we will tell you where you can find it. And, Oh Yeah we do not special order anything. That is why I travel 90 miles to purchase what I can't find on line.

I liked history and WWI and WWII military history enough to know a little bit about the planes and tanks that were involved. I do not know enough to be able to talk about the Generals, political leaders, or Pilots or their backgrounds.

But then what can you expect from a country that fought a Civil War and you learn about it under 2 different names. The U.S. Civil War and the War of Yankee Agression.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Alex
    Sorties Flown

My history lessons wereall about the Great Trek, Zulu war, Boer war all Boer bias, Cecil John Rhodes and the Jameson Raid and something about the other Southern African white heroes. This was because although I am English I did all my schooling in South Africa and Rhodesia. I was out there during the Rhodesian Terrorist war and in South Africa at the time of the Soweto Riots, living in Zululand at the time. The history lessons were very interesting even with the bias. It also allowed me to see the differences between the lessons and other published accounts. The best lesson I learned was due to the racial intolerance out there (which wasn't as bad as you might think in Rhodesia, believe it or not). I learned the wrongs about racism! I could go on, but this is not the place. Sorry, but at least you now know a little more about me.

I guess I should add my insight to the "educational baggage".

As a Canadian, I took school in three provinces: Newfoundland/Labrador, Ontario, and Manitoba.

We certainly learned of the history from a British perspective, with a mix of the official French history in the formation, and then we had optional American history classes. Also the background of the teacher would be influential. I had an Australian teacher who had an interesting perspective on things, and a Zimbabwean (Rhodesian) teacher who gave a very interesting perspective.

I have a degree in History, where I studied mostly early Soviet history 1900-1930s, as well as a minor in English, a very broad study there.

My father was Royal Canadian Air Force, an Air Traffic Controller, and I watched air shows every year from the tower, which ignited my interest in aircraft. He used to bring me home Recognition Journal (a British publication) and Jane's every year - I would make him copy all the aircraft I wanted to study and then I would memorize all the recognition points.

I found Dawn Patrol in about 1983 or so, and that spawned my loved for the Great War, as well as having had a great-grandfather who served as a Medic in the Russian army.

Today, there are few kids who get the kind of education that I think I had. There is too great an emphasis on sciences and maths in my opinion.

Anyway, that's my baggage that I bring.

Users Country Flag

Name
    A. Emerson
    Sorties Flown

I must say that I myself, even being aeronautical engineer, didn't knew much of war planes until i started playing WoW. But this game made me research and read much more happily than any class in my degree (XD).

Now i'm in love with WW2 planes and i'd love to personally see a japanese Shinden (a pity it could not fly, it could have kick so much ass).

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    In the UK they learn all about the Wiemar Republic and its political system. It is 20th century, but so dry and boring!
    At least when my 11yr old daughter did WWII last year, when she was given free choice of a project subject, she chose the spitfire (all by herself) ..

proud parent moment

Default Greying hobby

Having just voted and seen the results it looks as if WofW follows the general trend it wargaming - the majority of gamers where born in the 50s/60s

Users Country Flag

Name
    Alex
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by mosstrooper View Post
    Having just voted and seen the results it looks as if WofW follows the general trend it wargaming - the majority of gamers where born in the 50s/60s
    That'll be because we didn't have Xboxes and Playstations so had to make up our own games for entertainment

Users Country Flag

Name
    A. Emerson
    Sorties Flown

I have to disagree. There are lots of young wargamers this days, but historical wargames are not very popular with them. Your generation was the traditional standard bearer of historical games, whereas ours maybe will be remainded by the one of Warhammer. And the incoming, those who had seen the evil in workshop are drifting to other minoritary games but also of fantasy and sci-fi.

In the huge local provider we have, the only historical miniature game is Flames of War. If you want to play others is up to you and the nets.

Hmmm the stats are interesting are they not

In my school days in the UK ( I am mid 40's now) History was an option. I did 1870's to 1970 at "O" Level and 1450-1700 at "A" Level

In addition my father and grandfather had both served in the forces (father in Korean War - grandfather in WW1). I grew up with war stories and covering history at school only added to my interest.

These days youngsters have Xbox, Playstations etc. As mentioned earlier these were not available to my generation. Having said that my 10yro loves playing WoW as well as "lite" wargames.

Cheers

Mark

PS In case the above does not translate well for non UK readers "O" levels were school exams for approx 16yr old whilst "A" Levels were/are taken by approx 18yr olds if they choose to stay on at school after 16

I mostly play against my brother inlaw who's 32 and I'll be 34 in December. I've played WH40k, WHFB, Blood Bowl, DBA,DBM, Epic 40k, Mech Warriror, Mage Knight, Hero Clix, Flames of War over the last 18 years. Its been only in the last 3-4 years I've started to head into more of the historical games. I guess as I got older the flasher zip zap games became less fun and more about uber weapons and the kids started to get whiner and whiner.

that's why I left alot of the clubs behind due to the amount of "young whinny kids".

Most of the historical gamers I know are in the 30 to 50 age group with only a hand full who would be in the 20-30 age bracket or younger.

To the youngsters these days its all about who's got the biggest gun/tank/army/hero/ and not about the strategy behind said army/hero etc....

I am going to train my two kids up on a good dose of tactical games and immerse them into the "correct" gaming world. Its the least I can do. plus it gives me an excuse to the wife.
    "where did you get those new toys from?"
    "honey they are not mine they are for the kids. Really they are"

Cheers
    GW

Users Country Flag

Name
    Chris
    Sorties Flown

At 51 I'm definitely one of the oldies here. I agree that History seems to have taken a back seat at school these days. I guess it's not surprising. From the Allied point of view the two World Wars could be justified, but nowadays wars seem to be fought for far less cut and dried reasons. When I was at Junior School my teacher was a retired Lieutenant Colonel who had fought the Japanese. He once brought in a captured Japanese flag and sword he'd taken from his opposite number following surrender. He was something of a disciplinarian but was the best teacher I've ever known. Living history.

I am 35, the guys I play with are all the same age, and we all have children ages 6-14 that enjoy playing as well. Two 6 year olds, three 7 year olds, one 8 yr old, one 12 yr old, and one 14 year old. 79% in the 30-50 range was expected.

cyteen02

When I was young I had the time. Now I'm old (>40!) I have the money. Maybe when I retire I'll have both!

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Philippe
    Sorties Flown

I'm 29 and love board games (or board-less in the case of WoW)

Maybe i'm lucky, i have the money and find the time! I have 2 young kids, 1 year old and a 2 year old...I find the time when they sleep! I just dont sleep!

This is anecdotal evidence, but if I look around me, at work where we are a bunch of 20-30 year old engineers, if you talk boardgames, they think monopoly.

I will try to open my son's vision of games and if he's a bit like me, we'll enjoy wargames, strategy and WoW and will want to learn more about the historical part of these great wars.

Users Country Flag

Name
    David
    Sorties Flown

When I was young I had the time. Now I'm old (>40!) I have the money. Maybe when I retire I'll have both!
    I feel the same, and still under 40 years old.

Users Country Flag

Name
    John
    Sorties Flown

As of right now this poll holds true to my experiences. I'm 32 and everybody that I have played against has been in their 40's.

I'm 46, most gamers I know are in the 30-50 age range. The majority of younger gamers I've met don't seem to be interested in anything without the GW label, unfortunately.

It's been my experience that the average age of Historic Miniatures Gamers is a bit older than the Fantasy or Sci-Fi miniatures gamers. Most everyone in my group play all genres, yet most younger folks don't range out beyond their few specific rules sets.

StormforceX

I agree that younger gamers start with fantasy/scifi and then move on to historical games, although when I played my first wargame in aprox. 1949 there was only historical lead soldiers to play with.(yes, I was 3 years old then)
    I notice there are only two members 61 and over, I'm one of them so who is the other?

Not me. I'm a youthful 46 right now!

I am 53 and have been gaming since about the age of 6. I am also fortumate in that I have three sons aged 16, 21 & 27 who love the the game and playing other historical games, but we are also in a group who's ages are in the mid forties. My 16yr old son is a history adict and has read most of my historical libary. My point is that we cannot relly on the schools (as most of the teachers are drug smoking hippies) to teach children history we ourseleves have to nuture that love of history.

I'm glad we have such a wide range of ages in our group. I'm putting a new album together showing some of the players. We play a large assortment of games. Some of the adults are teachers and others are history buffs. Will be adding more pics as I remember to bring my camera to the store.

Tom

I just though I would clarify a point I made about teachers, this relates only to the Queensland education system.

odobenus

As from age group of 31-40 I came to the WOW through probably mediocre way of gamer evolution: from Monopoly-like through Settlers of Catan and Carcassonne to WOW.(I still play most of them, though) My friends are mostly of the same age, maybe because the group core had formed during our common college years.

Patrick
    On 12/06 I became 61. I can not remember what age I selected for the poll. I guess I suffer from CRS (can't remember stuff).
    Tony

StormforceX

Hi Tony
    It looks like it's you and me against a bunch of kids then. I recon the two of us ought to be able to take the lot of them! hehe...

I hope they know I am too old and slow to fight fair.
    Tony
    Last edited by pflanzer; 12-28-2009 at 15:29. Reason: added slow

I turned 57 a week or so ago, see, memory going already.

I have been wargaming for ever, it just became more complex and expensive, I also remember the shock in my first set of real rules of British troops having to take a morale test in case they ran away!

I have seen the GW school of wargaming coming for decades, it is especially uselful for people who just want to game, have everything covered by a book or rule set and now of course painted figures/models etc. you can buy. I am not saying this is bad but it just is not my idea of how to get the best out of wargaming.

I am of the old school and don't generally play anything in which I have no interest, and if something does catch my interest I immediately jump in with both feet and enjoy every facet, the history, personalities, tactics, uniforms, etc. etc.

Who would ever have thought the day would dawn when a set of rules would be in hardback with coloured photos etc. and cost £25. A rule book too far I suspect, for me at least.

40 married. no kids. (except me - lol)

I turned 51 last week, now my vote is wrong.

Henry

I fall into the 31-40, but could easily cast three votes for under 18 as my children love the game.

I think cost may be a limiting factor to some of the younger crowd with a game like this. They love the the minis, but at retail for 12.99 and up.

Although I guess SWM and others are just as expensive and I see plenty of youth playing those.

I am 47 and I drive 70+ miles to play.

20... and I look to be the only one !!! 4 of my friends between 18 -20 also like this game. :-)

brugerstein

OK, all you young whipper snappers (an old guy term), I guess I check in as the OLDEST member at 72. Tried several different air games that were either too complicated or not realistic UNTIL WoW came along. Spent one evening shooting the stuffing out of a 12 year old, who refused to go down, and then spent the next session trying to get away from that same 12 year old and his 11 year old friend. A game for ALL ages. Majority of the ones I fly with are in the 45-50 age range.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Geoff
    Sorties Flown

45 here.

My interest in wargaming began at school, where we mainly re-enacted 2nd World War battles with miniatures organised by our history teacher after school. By the time I was about 17 I moved onto Dungeons and Dragons. I still role play various games now, but love my PC "Total War" games. They bring back the fun of wargaming without the expense of scenery and figures

I still have a soft spot for models, which I suspect is what drew me to WoW, apart from a genuine interest in those periods anyway. I have WW1 at the mo. Although the idea of Spitfires is very appealing, I think I can only justify the expense of one world war to the wife

I'm still reeling at the idea of a brit not knowing what a Spitfire was, and laughing at the phrase "whipper snappers" used by Bob.

I think it's a reflection of the state of board gaming in general.

Kids aren't exposed to quality board games unless they have parents who are "in the know." So...they don't get the bug and carry with them because they're constantly bombarded with Taboo & Monopoly as the definition of boardgame.

If it wasn't for the MB Battlemaster Series in the 80s I doubt I'd be that into boardgames. My buddy's dad and my folks were pretty accommodating for boardgame purchases so we got the bug.

My game group is probably age 25+ and it's open to everyone. There are a few high school aged kids who drop by from time to time, but they typically play party games like Apples to Apples while everyone else is playing Dungeon Lords, Shipyard, Hansa Tuetonica, etc.

So the results definitely don't surprise me.

Now...I do know kids love boardgames because any time I've demoed various games I've always had kids drag their parents over to see the game and play. Parents and kids generally walk away having had some fun too so there's a market for it. Unfortunately it's a VERY hard market to reach.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Custom Computer Game
    By Walahalla in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-25-2009, 07:07
  2. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-04-2009, 02:46