Ares Games

Thread: ** No 10 Naval Squadron - Finished

Default ** No 10 Naval Squadron - Finished

Camel B5663, Flt Lt. W A Curtis; Late 1917

and an action shot...

both wheel covers were the last items painted, as some may recall from following my progress on this one. I tried using the transfers I have but after paint touch-ups they ended up getting painted over on the right side that I did first.. so the left cover is all hand painted. .not the best, but at a distance it looks rather nice I think.. a few coats of dull coat and a clear satin varnish and I think this will be safe to handle on the table..
    Last edited by rote Flügel; 02-24-2012 at 13:31.

RF,
    Looks the business!
    BofB

Nice one Gunnar

That's really nice! I'm tempted to get some of the dry-transfer decals just for the rudder striping. How would you say the finished look compares to waterslide decals; are they thicker, or do they have trouble settling onto the surface? Are they particularly tricky to apply in the tight spaces of the 1/144 models?

Todd, I found them slightly fiddly as I probably reapplied them several times.. but I am a patient man.. lol.. and once I got the final sealer coats on it I don't think they are that thick or noticeable
    I really like the way they turned out.. Model Graphics is a company my LGS always carries as they have a wide variety of hobbies in the store.. these were for Model railroad cars.. but they work rather nicely for what I have used them for I think... the white bars on the side are actually layered as well.. I have 2 placements there..
    Overall I like using them and didn't mind redoing them.. the decals themselves can get static-y so a wet brush is used to apply them sometimes.. then using the paper film that comes with them I burnish them into place (Though I did have a couple instances where it moved while burnishing and had to scrape it off and redo it).. that usually holds them until I can use a sealer.. this model has maybe 7 coats of gloss before I finished with 4 coats of dull coat..

hope that helps and isn't too confusing..

A very nice Camel.

Sweet!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Dude!

Nice work Gunnar!

Did you took off the upper wings for painting the front of the Camel with stripes?
    Voilà le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Sven.. yes I did.. I would never have gotten in there without doing that.. it's real easy as well. you can do the freezer method or you can just do what I do now and again.. just pull them apart. lol.. sometimes it works well.. this one it worked ok.. but it went back together just fine..

and thanks for the comments guys.. much appreciated. this has been a fun project.. next will be the red stripped one.. just need to find some B decals I can use..

Thumbs up

Great work, Gunnar. Looks super.
    Must admit I do like the Naval Air Service crates with their colourful schemes.

They do look rather smart.. can't wait to get the red stripped one done..

They look great Gunnar!!! Hope to see it Saturday at the game!!!

It'll be in my case ... maybe it'll make an appearance for a dog fight ... or two...

Very good looking crate! Well done!

Nicely done!

That is a really neat looking machine Gunnar. Full marks for a fine and intricate colour scheme.

I also look forward to seeing the other machines similarly portrayed.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Need some proper letters but I am starting on the Red stripped one this weekend.. and I need some roundels too... but I have a couple sources there.. lol.. Dom or Ebay..

Good paint and decal job Gunnar - Looks real smart!

/Niclas

This turned out pretty well. Costampede also uses the dry rub transfers for his crates.

Hey - So it was Costampede who had the entry I voted for in the D.III competetion!

I wish he'd make a post of it.

All his paint jobs look great.

/Niclas

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    This turned out pretty well. Costampede also uses the dry rub transfers for his crates.
    Wow... not sure I'm brave enough to do one like that DV ... but it looks great.. and the others as well.. thanks for posting that link to his file Keith... really awesome stuff there..

Excellent! That's a great looking bird!

Beautiful stripes, Gunnar! One must always love a Camel.