Ares Games

Thread: VERDUN

Default VERDUN

Yesterday was the anniversary of the battle of Verdun. Check it out.

Battle of Verun
    http://www.historyinanhour.com/2012/...tle-of-verdun/

Yet another reminder, if we need one, of the vast number of men on both sides who were sacrificed for little real purpose.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Yet another reminder, if we need one, of the vast number of men on both sides who were sacrificed for little real purpose.
    Rob.
    Don't f***ing get me started....

Unhappy

Rob.
    Yes Verdun was a great excercise in futility!

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Yes Verdun was a great excercise in futility!
    GR,
    I'm not quite so sure about that, as it achieved the German operational aim to FIX the French and write down their combat power in an attritional battle - 'bleeding them white' - which contributed to the lowering of French morale later in the war. However, what the German High Command had not correctly calculated was their own losses to achieve that operational aim, resulting in a fatal loss of their own combat power to sustain further offensives in the West.
    That said, there was great futility in the final outcome; a status quo ante and the loss of huge numbers of lives.
    BofB

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Rob.
    You got that right!

Rob.
    I agree

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick62 View Post
    GR,
    I'm not quite so sure about that, as it achieved the German operational aim to FIX the French and write down their combat power in an attritional battle - 'bleeding them white' - which contributed to the lowering of French morale later in the war. However, what the German High Command had not correctly calculated was their own losses to achieve that operational aim, resulting in a fatal loss of their own combat power to sustain further offensives in the West.
    That said, there was great futility in the final outcome; a status quo ante and the loss of huge numbers of lives.
    BofB
    Correct Baldrick! That is what I ment by its futility.
    Last edited by 7eat51; 08-09-2013 at 11:26.