Ares Games
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Nieuport 17/23 Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    Putting on the final decals now. Then waiting to dry, varnishing, dullcoting, touching up, and photographing.

The model is sub-standard, but I'm pleased with it anyway. My natural reaction to things turning to custard is to take it as a Challenge.

So I've attempted to resuscitate the truly awful Nieuport 17 models that we got from Shapeways. I've only worked on three so far, but I'm putting one of these "Zombies" in for the comp.

How bad were they?

Attachment 43333

That bad. As I said, a Challenge.

So if I get a half- or even quarter-decent model out of it, I'll be pleased. I think I have, and while they may never be good enough to display, they should be OK for gaming.

Some gals do knitting, or crochet, as a form of meditation, occupying the hands while the mind is elsewhere. I do filing, and filling, and sanding, and painting.
    Iám feeling sorry for you. My upper wing on my Niueport 17 that a ordered from Shapeways was in better conditon than this, but the fuselage was bumpy. It´s hard work to do surface smooth again so Iám looking foreward to your entry and I will have your picture above in thought when I vote A challenge indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Niclas View Post
    If I manage to finish mine at all - It'll be 23.59 on the 30/4.
    Well, that's the whole charm with deadlines, isn't it?

/Niclas
    Right your are Go for it Niclas!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    i'm just waiting for one sunny day to get the photos. It always takes better in natural light.
    Rob.
    Iám learning new things with every challenge. I finished last night and took the photos in the middle of the night

Quote Originally Posted by somaliavet View Post
    I managed to keep to the original deadline, but now I can't wait to see everyone's entries!
    Respect!
    Last edited by Oberst Hajj; 04-30-2012 at 02:01.

Can anyone tell me what the time is now as far as the competition deadline is? I am not sure which timezone to look at, but I can compare that time to the time (local) the post is made. I may need every minute if it is feasable to finish

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael View Post
    Iám feeling sorry for you. My upper wing on my Niueport 17 that a ordered from Shapeways was in better conditon than this, but the fuselage was bumpy.
    I feel your pain....

It´s hard work to do surface smooth again so I ám looking forward to your entry and I will have your picture above in thought when I vote A challenge indeed.
    Well... if I've really remediated it properly.. you shouldn't be able to tell which one it is. I really doubt I've reached that standard, but no point in shooting for a lesser goal.

Meanwhile, I tried the camera connection to computer #3, and it came up trumps. So it won't be a forgiving low-rez image after all. I just submitted my entry.

Quote Originally Posted by Rat of Vengence View Post
    Can anyone tell me what the time is now as far as the competition deadline is? I am not sure which timezone to look at, but I can compare that time to the time (local) the post is made. I may need every minute if it is feasable to finish

Dave
    I think the deadline is effectively 4pm on Tuesday, our time. A little less than 20 hours away.

The deadline is 20.5 hours from this post.

Here is a handy site to help convert my time into your time. Select USA- Colorado - Denver in the top drop down and the nearest city to your location and hit the red convert button. It will give your local time that the entries have to be in by. In the case of NSW, it is 4pm on May 1st.

Herr Oberst Hajj! How many entries so far? Iám so curious

Thank you Zoe and Keith, much appreciated. That means photos before I leave for work in the morning.

TO THE PAINTCAVE!

:P

Dave

Phew, entry sent. Pity my camera is not functional and I had to use my mobile phone, which means the quality of the pictures is much lower than I would like them to be.

I look forward to seeing some examples of excellent painting soon.

Hmmm. Plan A and B went by the wayside, but the model is DONE! But how long does clearcoat take to dry, HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE!!!

*sob*

Ahem. Am taking the model to work and will take piccies at lunchtime. I pray for no more fingerprints between now and then...

Dave

Ahem. Am taking the model to work and will take piccies at lunchtime.
    Rep Given. I think this deserves an award,

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    Rep Given. I think this deserves an award,
    Dedicated but poor planning award?

Couldn't let the side down, had to at least give it a shot.
    Some corners cut, but entry sent at last.

Signing off at 2.45 AM.
    /Niclas

Am taking the model to work and will take piccies at lunchtime. I pray for no more fingerprints between now and then...

Dave
    Good luck Dave. Modelling at lunch, very therapeutic.

Thank you Zoe, very kind, but I am afraid Chris is right. I left my run too late, even later as I found my superglue had gone to goo and had to buy more (found the spare tube when I got home didn't I...) and was up til 2am last night finishing the paintwork. No.1 cadet woke me at 6:15 this morning, so off I go to do the decals, no problem thank God! I get ready for work, toddle off with my plane and camera. Took some lovely pics at lunch, the sun is out and everything.

The memory card in my camera doesn't fit the card-reader in my computer at work.

*more sobs*

I might be able to flog the work camera when the students are on afternoon break, and take some more. Failing that, I will send in the pics when I get home about 2 hours late. Oh well, if that is the worst today can throw at me it isn't too bad a day

I shouldn't make challenges like that should I...

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Madboyo View Post
    No, if Shapeways had delivered good models, it would have been completed long ago. As it is, the replacements are still "in production", while the complaint was registered well before Easter. Christel is on holiday, and Joost wanted photos of everything.

Well, now I certainly can make life difficult... I had put up the pictures, made the album private just like last comp, but fortunately thought to just check the comp conditions on the first page. It has now been emailed to Keith as I should have done in the first place

Oh well. Good luck with the results everyone, I am really keen to see all the others!

Dave

The fun and insanity is now over folks! Thanks to all 18 entrants and to those that gave it a shot. It will take me a little while to compile everything and get it posted, so please give me a couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    The fun and insanity is now over folks! Thanks to all 18 entrants and to those that gave it a shot. It will take me a little while to compile everything and get it posted, so please give me a couple of days.
    No rush Herr Oberst. But this is great. 18 entries. Is this a new record? Last time there were 17. Iám right?

Quote Originally Posted by Madboyo View Post
    Poor planning?
    I was certainly guilty of that - Had good speed to begin with, then let the tempo slide so that when I ran into a few bumps as the deadline approached I was lost. If the Oberst hadn't extended the deadline, I could never have gotten an entry ready.

/Niclas

Gentlemen!
    It is a pleasure and a honour to be part of this contest with you.
    Good luck to you all.

I could not wait, voting is now up in this thread.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234