Ares Games

Thread: Albatros D.III of Georg Strasser, Jasta 17 (based on his D.V scheme)

Default Albatros D.III of Georg Strasser, Jasta 17 (based on his D.V scheme)

Now that the D.III Challenge is over, I'd like to share some of the photos of my entry...

Nice clean paintjob mate, that looks great! Airbrushed and masked?

Dave

that is a good job and true to the paint job of the original.. very nice..

Thanks guys. It is airbrushed. I also took photos of it as I went along for a How To. I hope to get those sorted this week and up on the site as well.

Even though I did not win (or even vote for my self!), I think this was a successful entry because I learned a few things while painting it. The two things I'm most happy with are the airbrushed hearts and that I finally found color mix for the German mauve color (at least for me). It is definitely purple, but not bright and distracting. It's also not pastel, yet it is subdued. I'll cover the actual colors used in the How To (as I don't have the info with me right now).

So Herr Oberst, yours was the one with the engine block that looks like cast iron! That alone nearly swung my vote your way.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Oh, and here I was thinking of way I could make that look much better! lol

Also, there are a total of 15 photos of this plane in my album.

You did a great job, Herr Oberst.

...but what happen to you models? The rudder is broken.

The Pfalz I saw weeks ago had lost a proppeller blade.

Little advice: Keep Junior away from your models!
    Voilà le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Gloom "I see no pics" to coin a phrase, only little boxs with a red x in them

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    You did a great job, Herr Oberst.

...but what happen to you models? The rudder is broken.

The Pfalz I saw weeks ago had lost a proppeller blade.

Little advice: Keep Junior away from your models!
    I know right! This plane pretty much broke apart when I attempted to take it apart. I even had to rebuild parts of the landing carriage

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    Where are you viewing them from? Are photos blocked?

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    Please make the album PUBLIC.
    It is Public

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    I know right! This plane pretty much broke apart when I attempted to take it apart. I even had to rebuild parts of the landing carriage

Where are you viewing them from? Are photos blocked?

It is Public

Using IE 8 as far as I know photos not blocked I see pics in other threads

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    Not the x of doom Chris. You been messing with your settings again?
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Huzzah now I see them, nice one Herr Oberst,
    WingCo I didnt touch anything honest, well apart from the big red button that said do not touch

This was my favourite because of the nice clean lines and smooth paint job. I also have this scheme, but on a DVa.

Excellent finish there Herr Oberst
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Very well done! I especially like how you picked out the panel lines on the fuselage, its hard to do at larger scales, let alone 1/144!

Very nice looking plane Herr Oberst, you where in my short list of winners but unfortunately I could only vote for one plane.
    Don

Certainly in my 'fave five' to quote a certain WWE commentator.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

The engine is great, the colours are brightly painted and the overall look of the plane is absolutely beautiful. This was one of my final choices.

You beat me with one point - I'm just glad it wasn't by more. This one was on my shortlist too. As with all your paint jobs, it's just so unbelievably crisp!

/Niclas

Quote Originally Posted by Niclas View Post
    You beat me with one point - I'm just glad it wasn't by more. This one was on my shortlist too. As with all your paint jobs, it's just so unbelievably crisp!

/Niclas
    Your scratchbuilt plane was also on my final list.

So Herr Oberst, yours was the one with the engine block that looks like cast iron!
    You know that you could see the names of the entrants for each picture because of the naming convention when you hovered the cursor over each picture, didn't you? We all KNEW it was yours

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    You know that you could see the names of the entrants for each picture because of the naming convention when you hovered the cursor over each picture, didn't you? We all KNEW it was yours
    What?! I didn't! That means that I could have known previously who was entering the contest? I could have asked payment for my vote?! What a terrible opportunity lost...

Great job; I was wondering if the hearts were decal or painted. Very clean airbrush work. And as had been stated: a really good job on the engine.
    Karl

PS: bring this one to Origins, so I can see it in person, please.
    KwE
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Keith,
    Nice job she is a beautiful plane. I look forward to your "how too" currious about you color selection. I think they look spot on.
    Tony

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    KwE
    All my planes are coming, so you can check it out as much as you like... you can even fly it if you want!

Quote Originally Posted by pflanzer View Post
    Keith,
    Nice job she is a beautiful plane. I look forward to your "how too" currious about you color selection. I think they look spot on.
    Tony
    Thanks Tony. I seamed to have miss placed some of the WIP photos, so I'll have to see if they are on a different CF card or something If I can't find them, I'll post up the few I do have and give out the color info here.

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    KwE
    All my planes are coming, so you can check it out as much as you like... you can even fly it if you want!

Quote Originally Posted by pflanzer View Post
    Keith,
    Tony
    Thanks Tony. I seamed to have miss placed some of the WIP photos, so I'll have to see if they are on a different CF card or something If I can't find them, I'll post up the few I do have and give out the color info here.

Amazing! You are so good the smoothness and the details are so good. Great job

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Nice job!

Well, I'm not sure if I'm going to find the missing photos or not or how long it would take me to get the How To posted up. So, here are the details on the paint colors I used.

Wings

The green is Vallejo Model Air Field Green (71093). The mauve was a 1:1 mix of amethyst Purple and Dark Elf Highlights, both from Reaper master Series paints. Since I was airbrushing the mauve color, I mixed those two colors and water 1:1:1. The under wing light blue is a mix of Vallejo Model Air White (71001) and Light SE Blue (089). 75 parts White to 4 parts Light SE Blue.

Fuselage

I don't recall what color I used for the wood, but I'm not overly happy with it so would do something different anyway. If anyone really wants to know, I'll look through my paints and figure it out for you. The metal panels around the engine and the wing struts were a 50/50 mix of light grey and silver, both Vallejo Model Air colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Now that the D.III Challenge is over, I'd like to share some of the photos of my entry...

That is an awesome shot. And you have some genius painting skills. If the contest had been limited to one photo, and this was the one you had used, you would have had my vote.