Ares Games

Thread: Tanks in WWI

Default Tanks in WWI

The TV show "Greatest Tank Battles" has finally come out with an episode that deals with the usage of tanks in WWI battles. Very interesting show with very good computer simulations of the tanks.

Watch for the British tank shooting down a German Drachen during the Battle of Somme!

Not too late !
    You can still get the free download for the WW I German Tank (A7V) at:
    http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/

This free download is good until 2/23/12.

Thumbs up

Yes that was a very good offering from the History Channel on WW1 tanks.
    Like the WW1 pilots the Tank crews were brave enough to embrace a new untried technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike W View Post
    The TV show "Greatest Tank Battles" has finally come out with an episode that deals with the usage of tanks in WWI battles. Very interesting show with very good computer simulations of the tanks.
    I'm not sure how gripping the visuals will be, what with: A) the typical tanks having a top speed of 6 MPH, and; B) the tanks' tendency to break, or get hung up on obstacles.

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    I'm not sure how gripping the visuals will be, what with: A) the typical tanks having a top speed of 6 MPH, and; B) the tanks' tendency to break, or get hung up on obstacles.
    Oh, TV will make gripping visuals; they just won't be very accurate, historically speaking.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Oh, TV will make gripping visuals; they just won't be very accurate, historically speaking.
    Karl
    This is a very accurate TV show, with in-tank (a Mark IV or V) interviews by noted armor historian David Fletcher of the Britain's Tank Museum. Being in a box with little speed and bullets hitting you from all sides, especially when the Germans developed armor-piercing bullets and brought in some larger guns to knock you out, seemed pretty gripping to me! My only complaint is the show only featured early Marks I -IVs from the British and the A7V from the Germans. Ignored were the Whippets, French Tanks, and the large amounts of captured and converted British tanks employed by the Germans.