Ares Games

Thread: Austro-Hungarian Halberstadt D.III ?

Default Austro-Hungarian Halberstadt D.III ?

A fellow site member pointed it out to me that in the Watch Your Back (WB) card number 18/24 displays a Halberstadt D. III, and the back of the card reads Kaiserliche und K๖nigliche Luftfahrtruppen, Austro-Hungarian Empire The Central Powers Unbekannter Pilot.

I cannot find any information about any Halberstadts being sent to the Austro-Hungarian Empire or of any A-H pilot being sent to Germany and flying one. Any information with sources would be very helpful.

There's nothing in the 'Halberstadt Fighters' datafile on KuK Halberstadts. That said, although not mentioned in the text either, there is a photograph of a D.V with Turkish national markings and table in the appendices listing 31 Halberstadt aircraft of various marques in Turkish service. Given the paucity of Austria-Hungary's own aircraft industry, it would seem quite plausible that the KuK could have used obsolescent German Halberstadts at some point.
    Last edited by Baldrick62; 02-19-2012 at 02:02. Reason: sp

All that I can find is a mention on p. 136 of Herris and Pearson which simply states that during the latter part of 1918 reinforcements including Halberstadt fighters, Albatros D.II, and D.III fighters were delivered to the Turks.
    Unfortunately no numbers are given, and nothing on the Austro Hungarians at all as far as I can see.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

From my sources I agree that Austro-Hungarian didn't use Halberstadt D. III. About Turkish Air Force, from this source:

Alberto Rosselli - Le Aquile della Mezzaluna. L'aviazione turca durante la prima guerra mondiale (Alberto Rosselli - The Eagles of Crescent. The Turkish Air Force during the First World War)

I have references of use of Halberstadt D.II in Palestina and Mesopotania in 1916, D.IV (in Canakkale Region in 1916) and D.V (there's a photo of the Halberstadt D.V piloted by Lt. Theo Croneissm from FA-6. In a tablee about the airplanes sent from Germany, the Halberstadt D.V is reported as sent in 1917 with a total of 33 planes)

I found some info aboput Lt. Croneiss

http://www.airaces.narod.ru/ww1/german/croneiss.htm

"One of the relatively few successful pilots who fought on the Turkish front. Kronayss, whose familiarity with some friends called just "Theo," flew in the field of Turkish flight unit number 6 (FA 6), better known as Jasta Chanak Kale - Turkei (Fighter Squadron "Chanak Kale - Turkey").
    He scored five victories and was awarded the Iron Cross 1st Class and Knight's Cross of the Order of the House of Hohenzollern in August 1918.
    In the interwar period, became famous as a pilot - an athlete, and also served as director of the Sports School Shportflyug, which became the sponsor of the aircraft designer Willy Messerschmitt. Kronayss obletyval early development Messerschmitt - he manned a machine M.19 in the competition in 1927 won the prize for the design of 60 000 German Reichsmark."

and this profile

http://www.ronnybarprofiles.com/mode...dt-d-v-2314-16

Attachment 34435

He also won the M.23 on the air contests Vostochnoprusskih 1928 - 1929. Subsequently, a pilot - a test of the company "Messerschmitt". He died November 7, 1942.