Ares Games

Thread: TORPEDO STRIKE - possible Expansion for Wings of Glory: Rules - Targets - Weapons

Default TORPEDO STRIKE - possible Expansion for Wings of Glory: Rules - Targets - Weapons

Good day, fellow pilots.

Found interesting ideas about torpedo planes for WoW - WoG World War II in the file section.

Mabey it's ridiculous to talk about a third expansion for WoG while wondering if Rain of Destrution will be distributed, or not.

Maybe there will be a third expansion with torpedo planes and special rules for torpedo attacks. Unlike WW I, the aircrafts ruled the naval operetions in WW II, even submarine activities. Torpedo planes had a major role in this conflict, remember the attacks on the convoys to Murmansk, the fatal attacks vs. the Bismarck, the attack vs Pearl Habour, etc...

There a many questions for torpedo attacks.

1. What altitude leve to release the torpodeo?
    2. Wich speed?
    3. Which maneuvers?
    4. Does the torpedo need two movements under water to get armed?
    5. etc...

What about the targets? Do they move?

This is a good place to present (former) own ideas, scenarious or cards from the file section, too.

There is an extra thread for the planes: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...f-Glory-Planes

To give you the necessesary inspiration, here is a possible cover:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Douglas-TBD-Devastator.jpg  
    Voilą le soleil d'Austerlitz!

The altitude level for releasing a torpedo should be 0 (zero) + any altitude markers, or should it be restricted to only one altitude marker?

Level 1 is definitely too high.
    Last edited by Marechallannes; 02-17-2012 at 02:43.

I agree Sven

Nice.
    How about the torpedo card to have the torpedo pointing opposite on each side of the card so that it moves just by flipping the card over and it takes, after it its the water, two flips to arm. Also to slow the torpedo down have it pointing toward the long side of the card as appose to going down the length of the card like the planes do. These are just ideas right.
    For the ships pick a slow speed movement deck and to use place the card under the back of the ship and slide the ship out to the end of the arrow.

Just some "deep thoughts" by (Jack ...)

Thomas

Another idea is for the ship captain is to have him/her pick 3 cards like WGF so to give the torpedo bombers a chance.

Thomas

Hi guys here are torpedo rules am using for my scenarios and mini campaign.

Torpedo run rules:

To launch, a torpedo the attacking aircraft must be at altitude 0. The plane must execute the following three maneuvers in order: first a straight, then a stall, then a straight. Before revealing any maneuver, if the airplane's last executed maneuver was straight and its next planed maneuver is stall, the bomber can decide to launch the torpedo. The planed maneuver is executed and then, before resolving firing torpedo card is placed in front of the plane base, with its rear side matching the front side of the airplane. Torpedo card travels in a straight line for five turns after the turn they are launched. Torpedo card moves at the beginning of each moving phase after all ships moved and planed their next move. Move torpedo cards by flipping them end over end in the direction of travel once per turn. If torpedo card touches any target in the water it explodes and the target takes two D damage tokens.

When searching for torpedo data i discovered that allies since late 1942 early 1943 were using acoustic homing anti-submarine torpedo. the "Fido" Mk 24 torpedo and as my next mission is modeled after successful usage of those here are rules i devise for it to.

Rules for “FIDO” Mk 24 Torpedo:

Mk 24 Torpedo can be used only against submarines.
    Torpedo card will travel for four turns after the turn they are launched. Torpedo card move at beginning of each moving phase after all ships moved and planed their next move. At the beginning of each moving phase adjust eading of the torpedo towards closest and loudest target. Move torpedo card by flipping them end over end in the direction of travel once per turn. If torpedo card touches any target in the water it explodes and the target takes one D damage tokens.

Quote Originally Posted by Shivaja View Post
    Hi guys here are torpedo rules am using for my scenarios and mini campaign.

Torpedo run rules:

To launch, a torpedo the attacking aircraft must be at altitude 0. The plane must execute the following three maneuvers in order: first a straight, then a stall, then a straight. Before revealing any maneuver, if the airplane's last executed maneuver was straight and its next planed maneuver is stall, the bomber can decide to launch the torpedo. The planed maneuver is executed and then, before resolving firing torpedo card is placed in front of the plane base, with its rear side matching the front side of the airplane. Torpedo card travels in a straight line for five turns after the turn they are launched. Torpedo card moves at the beginning of each moving phase after all ships moved and planed their next move. Move torpedo cards by flipping them end over end in the direction of travel once per turn. If torpedo card touches any target in the water it explodes and the target takes two D damage tokens.

When searching for torpedo data i discovered that allies since late 1942 early 1943 were using acoustic homing anti-submarine torpedo. the "Fido" Mk 24 torpedo and as my next mission is modeled after successful usage of those here are rules i devise for it to.

Rules for “FIDO” Mk 24 Torpedo:

Mk 24 Torpedo can be used only against submarines.
    Torpedo card will travel for four turns after the turn they are launched. Torpedo card move at beginning of each moving phase after all ships moved and planed their next move. At the beginning of each moving phase adjust eading of the torpedo towards closest and loudest target. Move torpedo card by flipping them end over end in the direction of travel once per turn. If torpedo card touches any target in the water it explodes and the target takes one D damage tokens.
    Sounds good Radek, I will try it when I get my torpedo planes painted and top side. I will take photos of the scenario.

Thomas

Good idea Shivaja. A combination of meneuvers should be the condition for a torpedo strike.

Solving three maneuvers straight-stall-straight for firing the torpedo seems not easy.

Non steep maneuver - stall - straight

Would give the pilots a possibilty to change the direction on their run. Especially if the target moves.

What about the speed? Fast/slow? Should there be restrictions?

I remember, that the torpedo planes had to pay attention to the speed. Releasing the torpedo with too much speed and it will be lost. (sinking - not armed - etc...)

I don't know how many speak Spanish here, but Firebrand posted an interesting torpedo run breakdown on his blog here:

http://elhangardewingsofwar.blogspot...S%20DE%20JUEGO

Good information, Frank.

Those pictures look interesting and the system looks tricky according to the slow speed of a torpedo.

Unfortunately I can't speek Spain.

If several pilots are interested, an english version can be published. My english shall not be as Shakespeare, but it will be better than google's.

This would be a great idea, Vik!

Maybe a seperate new thread, here at the WW II house rule section?

Quote Originally Posted by Firebrand View Post
    If several pilots are interested, an english version can be published. My english shall not be as Shakespeare, but it will be better than google's.
    That would be fantastic.

Thanks
    Thomas

Well It's done. I have the work in a word file. It can be copy/paste ina new thread or is better to upload as a file in some section?

Think a new thread would be fine.

Any chance to upload the pictures, too?

I've never done that here... I don't know how to do it. I suppose it will be similar to other forums. But it will be tomorrow, I have to work all night long

The easiest way is to create an album an upload the pictures.

After this, you could insert the pictures with the "manage attachments" button to the posts.

Thank you for the advices, I've just posted the new thread with the English Version for International Players. I hope it has not too many grammar errors