Ares Games

Thread: Playing Surface materials

Default Playing Surface materials

Just wondering what other people use for a playing surface?

Obviously the games can be played anywhere cards or minis. I aquired the playmats which work great, but I do like a change of scenery. Especially when playing Pacific theater.

I have found that a large piece of felt works very well as the planes/cards do not slide around once placed. Best yet a extra wide yard will cover one of my 6' tables, so it is inexpensive and looks good. I have Sea blue and brown. The blue is obviously water and the brown I would place other small pieces of felt and other materials to represent fields and other terrain.

So, What do you use?

I use a piece of slate blue duveteen. Its a type of short-napped velour. The biggest advantages are that 1) The cards don't slip around, but are easy to slide out from under the minis, and 2) The base of the mini's leaves a very light impression when you put them down, making it easy to see where you've been, or help to easily mark overlaps, etc.

Our group prefers felt as well. As you said it seems to be the best non skid surface, and we have found it gives slightly when you need to scoop up a plane stand or slid a card out of the way.

I use felt as well, I like the way it lets you slide the cards but holds them in place when you get then where you want them.

Green felt that I am slowly modefying by using spray paint and felt tip pens into a western front landscape

Thanks for sharing.....love the pics.

Where do you play with that big of a surface?

How are those planes not constantly toppling over?

Name
    Victor
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudotheist View Post
    How are those planes not constantly toppling over?
    We quite regularly fly at heights of up to 12 pegs, no problems. The WoW aircraft/stands work well at that peg height, for metal models I use a solid plastic base, but others use the WoW bases and they have good results. We actually found at low heights, 1 to 3 pegs, that we have more problems with tip overs due to people accidentally knocking over planes that at higher heights.

Nice ground mat.

Users Country Flag

Name
    José Paulo
    Sorties Flown

Hello,
    That's a very nice ground mat.

José Paulo Vieira

I throw a blue or green sheet over the table....really....look at my pictures.

What I really want it a table mat like Brian's! Gotta save up for that -- though somehow there are always more planes and balloons to buy...

I built a 4x6 table top covered with a Citadel Battle Mat, which I secured using wall paper paste and staples (along the edge); then finished the edges with white molding. It is two 3/4 inch pieces of plywood (4x3) with latches to keep the halves together. Problem is I over engineered it, and haven't yet carried it down to the LGS to play; though I do play on it at home.

Running a demo at the local convention, I broke down and ordered the official play mats for ease of carry and for eye candy in the hopes of attracting players.

Tomorrow (nothing like procrastinating) I am building a much lighter table top (4x6) out of that peg board material you use to hang your tools (though this is solid and doesn't have the holes); it is 3/8" thick and much lighter while still being sturdy. I have cut this in half to make carrying in my car easier, and will use a tape hinge to allow folding it up. I have a choice of either an upholstery "leather look" vinyl in a dark green, or a suede-like material in an brownish olive. Not sure which I will use, but since I got both at $2.99 a yard, I'll see which provides a better surface for the cards and planes. I am leaning towards the vinyl just because it has character and provides easy clean up should anything get spilled (I know, drinking a flying usually don't mix except in war time).

I'll post pictures when I finish it up.

Cheers,

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Arizona (Otherwise known as Hell's back porch)
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by KiltedWolf View Post
    What I really want it a table mat like Brian's! Gotta save up for that -- though somehow there are always more planes and balloons to buy...

I built a 4x6 table top covered with a Citadel Battle Mat, which I secured using wall paper paste and staples (along the edge); then finished the edges with white molding. It is two 3/4 inch pieces of plywood (4x3) with latches to keep the halves together. Problem is I over engineered it, and haven't yet carried it down to the LGS to play; though I do play on it at home.

Running a demo at the local convention, I broke down and ordered the official play mats for ease of carry and for eye candy in the hopes of attracting players.

Tomorrow (nothing like procrastinating) I am building a much lighter table top (4x6) out of that peg board material you use to hang your tools (though this is solid and doesn't have the holes); it is 3/8" thick and much lighter while still being sturdy. I have cut this in half to make carrying in my car easier, and will use a tape hinge to allow folding it up. I have a choice of either an upholstery "leather look" vinyl in a dark green, or a suede-like material in an brownish olive. Not sure which I will use, but since I got both at $2.99 a yard, I'll see which provides a better surface for the cards and planes. I am leaning towards the vinyl just because it has character and provides easy clean up should anything get spilled (I know, drinking a flying usually don't mix except in war time).

I'll post pictures when I finish it up.

Cheers,
    Can't wait to see how it came out!!

Similar Missions

1. Playing without buying a box?
    By Seiseki in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-01-2010, 06:02
  2. Role Playing
    By KirkH in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-20-2010, 22:38