Ares Games

Thread: The Camels are coming!

Post The Camels are coming!

Here is a brief AAR of the game last night at our Games Club.
    The scenario was a slight mod of one Zoe ran at Cancon & Chris Halverson (halvo) & Phil Barlow flew the 3 German Albatross (1 x D.III & 2 x D.Va's)
    whilst Demil who is a new young recruit with only one game under his belt flew No. 3 Camel whilst I flew Camels Nos. 1 & 2 plus the RE8 which really just flew in a straight line across the table & back again.

The mission called for a Australian RE8 to fly along the front line of the German Trenches & photograph all activities. This required the Aircraft to fly across the table twice to accomplish the mission & it was not to deviate from its flight path. The German trench was 2/3s from the table edge of the German forces & 1/3 in their territory from the center of the table. The RE 8 was accompanied by a lone Camel flown by Capt "Sticky" Triggers of A Flight from the "Hearts of Oak" Naval Squadron.

3 German Albatross started from the opposite corner of the German Lines whilst 2 more Camels of A Flight, Deputy Flight Commander "Dusty" Rhodes & Justin "Kiwi" Thyme flew Camels Nos 2 & 3 starting from the center of the British Lines which ment they had a far greater distance to travel to help the RE8.

From Capt Triggers Combat Report:
    "At approx 0800 hours I moved into formation with the RE 8 to commence the mission. All went well at first with the "Quirk" making full speed along the target trench line whilst I manouvered behind & then to the RHS of the Aircraft to watch for any enemy activity. After about 15 minutes I noticed 3 German Albatross making for us at high speed on a diagonal intercept course.
    I waggled my wings & pointed in their direction & got a Thumbs Up from the Australian Observer.

In the meantime 2 Aircraft from my Flight, led by my deputy Flight Leader Flt Ltn Robert Rhodes were undertaking a morning Offensive Patrol towards the British Front line but were not visible at this time.

The Germans closed as we approached the center of the Trench line & I immediately flew to engage. All 4 Aircraft let off bursts of gunfire but we received no damage but I noticed both German pilots thumping the breeches of their Spandaus. So much for the vaunted German "Technical Advantage"!
    Whilst the RE steadfastly continued on its mission, 2 of the Germans attacked my Aircraft & one concentrated on the Quirk.

Soon I was heartened to hear the welcome sound of Camel Rotary engines as the 2 members of my flight joined the melee. Gunfire erupted all around & I felt bullets striking my craft. Managing to take a quick glance I was pleased to see Ltn Thyme's Camel going to the aid of the RE 8 which was in a good position to give one of the Albatross a good burst at close range. Shortly after the RE 8 made its turn for the return leg & I noticed the Albatross had caught fire.

I was still in a turning Dogfight with the other two, both the new DVa models but had now been joined by Flt Ltn Rhodes who fired off a couple of telling bursts which caused some damage to the Enemy who then inexplicidly collided with each other & whilst both obviously sustained some damage were able to keep flying & fighting.
    About this time I received a sharp blow to my left leg & glancing down saw blood coming from a bullet wound to my thigh.
    Determined to continue the fight I spun the Camel around in a tight RH turn & shot at close range & was rewarded when one of the DVa's burst into flames.
    As I took in the whole aspect of the battlefield I noticed the RE 8 smoking & from the sound of its engine it had certainly sustained some engine damage.
    The brave RE could now see that over half of the Trench line had been photographed & again I got a Thumbs Up from the Observer. Nothing much rattles those Anzacs.

I now saw Ltn Thyme administer the Coup de Grace to the flaming Albatross & it spun into the ground. Apparently the 2 German planes had again collided with the rear one hitting the tail of the front one with its propellar & together with the final shots from Ltn Thyme had caused it to crash. Perhaps the Pilots view had been blocked by the firey smoke?

With only one German Aircraft left in the Sky we all pressed our attacks & I managed to get on its tail & fired a long burst at very close range which resulted in it spinning off out of control to crash in No Mans Land close to the German Lines.
    With the RE 8 now in the safe hands of Rhodes & Thyme I flew back to the 'drome for some medical attention & a very large Scotch.
    Tonight we will celebrate 3 more victories by the Pilots of the Hearts of Oak Squadron."

Report Ends:

All in all a great game & the "Germans" accepted their defeat with grace (see pic of Chris Saluting as the last Hun crashes out)

Young Demil really shone & actually fired the last shots to finish off 2 Albatross both who were on fire & had taken damage from their collisions.
    The RE 8 was down to its last damage point so whilst it was a convincing win for the Allies it was as Wellington said "a near run thing" as victory would have been theirs if the RE 8 was destroyed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CaC Close encounters of the Dogfight Kind.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	124.2 KB 
ID:	33642
    Close encounters of the Dogfight kind.

Name:	CaC First blood to the Brits..jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	187.3 KB 
ID:	33643
    First Blood to the Brits!

Name:	CaC the last German goes down!.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	152.2 KB 
ID:	33644
    The last German goes down!
    Last edited by gully_raker; 02-11-2012 at 16:49.

Nice AAR and photos, but the observer of your recon plane should not have laughed so much when the first German had gone down, as his picture is a bit blurry.

Seems like your Heart of Oak Squadron are getting a bit of a name for themselves Barry. Yet another spiffing AAR from Cpt. Triggers, and some fine photographs taken by the Quirk's observer.
    Some of your chaps must be getting pretty near to Ace status by now, to say nothing of a gong or two in the offing. I will forward the names of your pilots to HQ. in my next set dispatches.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Hard to kill those "Kiwi Aces"

Very interesting AAR! Nice pictures.

Glad, my Jasta is stationed at another part of the Westfront.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Seems like your Heart of Oak Squadron are getting a bit of a name for themselves Barry. Yet another spiffing AAR from Cpt. Triggers, and some fine photographs taken by the Quirk's observer.
    Some of your chaps must be getting pretty near to Ace status by now, to say nothing of a gong or two in the offing. I will forward the names of your pilots to HQ. in my next set dispatches.
    Kyte.
    Thank you Sir! for your kind words.
    Indeed Flt Sub Ltn Thyme did in fact achieve Acedom in this battle with a total now of 5 victories. Ltn Rhodes is on 4, Flight Commander Triggers on 3 & FSL Gristhorpe has achieved 1 Victory.

The crew of the venerable Gunbus which naturally was not flying this scenario has already achieved 4 & has not yet been shot down!

Excellent narrative for the battle report! Thank you for posting!!

Nice AAR Barry! Gotta love the Camel!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Thumbs up

Thanks Chaps for all the Rep Points!
    Glad you liked the AAR.

Very nice report. Camels are quite fantastic.