Ares Games

Thread: Archaeology Brings to Light the Sad, Grim Reminders...

Default Archaeology Brings to Light the Sad, Grim Reminders...

I agree A sad story but wonderful photos.

Great article. Thx for sharing

Attilio

Great pics, great story. At least those found will be laid to rest properly at last

More of the missing who now have more than a name on a memorial.

Fantastic photos, but it must have been a 'slow news day' at the Daily Wail to 'resurrect' a story that was 4 months old.

http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/show...-in-the-Alsace

War is hell. Millions died only on the Western front, so no wonder bodies are still found now and then.

What confuses me is how the archaeologists cannot identify some of the most common pieces of the WWI soldier's gear, such as riffle ammo pouches, entrenching tool holster etc...

Well I'm glad they did resurect it for whatever reason because it is the first time I have seen it.
    What a time capsule.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Watchdog View Post
    What confuses me is how the archaeologists cannot identify some of the most common pieces of the WWI soldier's gear, such as riffle ammo pouches, entrenching tool holster etc...
    Watchdog,
    Given the journalistic gravitas attached to the Daily Wail, I'd suggest the lack of identification of items is down to the hacks and editors who picked up the story and photos from a French archaeological paper or website rather than any shortage of knowledge on the part of those archaeologists and investigative archivists.
    BofB
    Last edited by Baldrick62; 02-10-2012 at 12:31.

Yes, Baldrick62, you are probably right.

I have my own experience with journalists and especially the investigative ones.

Yes, Baldrick62, you are probably right.

I have my own experience with journalists and especially the investigative ones.
    There are some people who many wouldn't mourn if they were buried alive!
    Last edited by Baldrick62; 02-10-2012 at 13:00. Reason: PC

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick62 View Post
    There are some people who many wouldn't mourn if they were buried alive!
    Well it has been said of some Journalist that they dont let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Thumbs up

What an amazing find after all those years. Lets hope there are still some family members who will now have closure.
    There will I am sure be more discoveries like this as time goes on.

Great photos!!!!I agree too, sad story.
    Is beautiful the well preserved itens.
    Salute to all those soldiers.

Nick

Amazing article. Thanks for sharing this link. It's good to see that the soldiers will be repatriated and the articles will be taken for further study by archeologists. Knowing where we have been can give insight into where we should be going.

War is hell. Millions died only on the Western front, so no wonder bodies are still found now and then.

And I've got a boot remover just like that one in the garage, my son knocked it up on a wet Sunday afternoon.

I had seen this before in a number of different places ,but a reminder of these things is always good.I recently put a WW1 album up and there are a number of photos of walls with thousands of names of soldiers with no known graves ,in Ypres they pay tribute to these every night .We do need to remember and every reminder helps .

Archaeologists probably can, but journalists sometimes can't.