Ares Games

Thread: 1/144 Decals WWI German Sworl Camouflage

Default 1/144 Decals WWI German Sworl Camouflage

The latest decals on from ebay store '1/144 Direct' are WWI German Sworl Camouflage in a number of different colours.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-144-Deca...#ht_3349wt_794

Anybody know when these were in use? What aircraft? Any historical examples of these patterns in use?

I'd love an excuse to use these decals

Chris Maes

Found this on the Aerodrome forum

http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/ca...-1918-war.html

Pretty nifty camo

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Maes View Post
    Anybody know when these were in use? What aircraft? Any historical examples of these patterns in use?

I'd love an excuse to use these decals

Chris Maes

Well, in answer to my own question...

Here is an example I found of an Austro-Hungarian aircraft using "sworl" camouflage-http://www.wwiaviation.com/drawings/Albatros-DIII-Oefag-Ba-253-sn253-64-600px.png

Chris Maes

Yep, I think these camo types were limited to the A-H aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Yep, I think these camo types were limited to the A-H aircraft.
    Yes, it was a printed fabric camo used on some Alb. D.III (OEF).

Matthias

Figures.. now I need more DIIIs to do some A-H planes.. sigh.. lol.. very nice camo..

Thumbs up

I think Zoe showed some examples of that Camo in a post some time ago when the Austro-H aircraft were first getting some attention.
    Should look impressive on the games mat!

It looks like a couch.

OHHHHHH! Psychedelic! Nice paisley horses! So what aircraft must I build to do this on? Seriously what aircraft?

Clipper intrigued!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    OHHHHHH! Psychedelic! Nice paisley horses! So what aircraft must I build to do this on? Seriously what aircraft?

Clipper intrigued!
    The Austro Hungarian D. III, Hansa-Brandenbergs & possably the Phonix D.II.

The e-bay decals have the sworls too large, from my research. The Polish aircraft is correct, it matches photos. An Albatros wing is 4 sworls wide in chord, not 3.

OTOH Artistic license may be appropriate here, they will look better if slightly enlarged.

The e-bay decals are also right in one respect - there were 4 basic patterns, spring, summer, autumn, winter. Not sure if he's got the colours right though. Here's my interpretation of the three best evidenced ones, showing the width of each swatch, and how they may have been used in some aircraft with mixed schemes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test.PNG 
Views:	125 
Size:	399.7 KB 
ID:	33573

This profile appears to use the "spring" (dark green) version, though I think the ochre's not quite bright enough. The cloth was a yellow-ochre colour, with brown and green sworls printed on. They overlapped a little, giving dark boundaries.

Oeffag D.III Series 253 Pilot and Unit Unknown serial number 253.64 - 1917

This is an Oeffag D.III Series 253 powered by an Austro-Daimler, 225 hp (168 kW) 6 cylinder liquid cooled inline engine. The rounded nose section is bare metal and the top surfaces tailplane and rudder are covered in a camouflage pattern only seen in Austrian and Polish aircraft. It consisted in two different spiral elements. Common opinion is that the pattern was printed on fabric since painting such an elaborate scheme would be so labor intensive and time consuming that if hand painted it would be impractical. The Maltese Cross would place it after May of 1918. The two tone wheel cover adds some flash to the scheme. Also of note is the large number instead of a pilot identification design. Once again this aircraft is in shown in its warm weather configuration as there is no engine cover present.
    -- http://wwiaviation.blogspot.com.au/2...ii-part-2.html

I don't recommend trying to hand-paint this, not in 1/144. Certainly not in 1/350, that way lies madness...

The printed 'sworl pattern' could be found on the fuselage also----I suppose Dr. Martin O'Connor is still the accepted expert and although I don't have his book, I have articles from old C&C issues.

In one, (vol19 No. 2 1988) there is a lovely photograph of an Albatros DIII (Oef) 253.64 --his caption reads, in part, "Note the beautiful sworl printed fabric. The wooden FUSELAGE AND FIN have been camoufaged by clear doping the printed fabric onto them" (my capitals) The Photo. is----inconclusive as I look at it---sorry.

I don't think this was at all common, as the fabric was, apparently, always in short supply---but the photo. confirms it was done, whether top only or full fuselage the photo just does'nt confirm either way----but he seemed to think (by "fuselage") all of it...

I've previously had access to the photos used in Dr. Martin O'Connor's book. The serial number on the side of the fuselage is per standard factory practice/style and stenciled directly on the plywood skin. It wouldn't be so legible if it were painted over the printed pattern, the dark blue segment would obscure the black paint of the stencil. Austro-Hungarian practice on the Albatros D.III (Oef) was to camouflage the upper surfaces of the wings and top of the fuselage turtle deck including fin. Initially the type 53 and 153 series were in plain varnish and uncamouflaged wings. Godwin Brumowski at Flik 41j initiated the practice of having the camouflage finishes applied to top surfaces only w/ the series 53 aircraft delivered in the summer of 1917. This was done w/ paint and brushes or sponges. The fabric on this example is applied to the fuselage in the same areas, top surfaces only on/above the plywood seam along the top longeron, including the vertical stabilizer fin. After Flik 41j started the practice, applying camouflage finishes was done also at the Flep level.
    -- http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/ca...-flik-42j.html

I did manage to find the pilot and unit.

253.64 Albatros D.III (Oef) Flik 42J Friedrich Hefty

Hefty was wounded in the right foot by Italian anti-aircraft fire on 7 October 1915. He transferred to Flik 42J in the Isonzo sector of the Italian front in October 1917, scoring his second victory during the Battle of Caporetto. During 1918, Hefty formed a strong friendship with fellow pilots Johann Risztics and Ferdinand Udvardy. Amongst the airmen of Flik 42J, the trio became known as the Arany Triumviratus (Golden Triumvirate).

Hefty began marking the sides of his Albatros D.III with the number "6."
    http://www.theaerodrome.com/aces/austrhun/hefty.php

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    The Austro Hungarian D. III, Hansa-Brandenbergs & possably the Phonix D.II.
    At least one Phoenix C.I and possibly a UFAG C.I too. Phoenix D.IIa as well.

Most of the Polish D.IIIs were post-war production, or late-war still in their crates. These came with Sworl as standard, but they may not have used the AH practice of doping the cloth on the top surface of the fuselage.

A good source for A-H D.III profiles is http://www.feudal.cz/html/albatrosy_...ag__v_bar1.htm

This one gives another pilot who flew this aircraft:

Albatros D.III (Oef) 253.64
    Flik 42J, Pianzano, August 1918,
    Kpl. Geza Keisz
    This particular aircraft was flown by Friedrich Hefty of Flik 42J, and it was forced down August 28th 1918 when being flown by Geza Keisz.
    Last edited by Zoe Brain; 02-09-2012 at 22:55.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Now a new realm for my madness! And I just happen to have a few Shapeways birds ready to cover! Of course I will have to name names to my Doctors . . .

Clipper

Now a new realm for my madness! And I just happen to have a few Shapeways birds ready to cover!
    Um... it just so happens that I have some sworl cammo printed up on decal paper.... PM me if you'd like some.

Just what I've been looking for Zoe. My own effort for Linke-Crawfords DII was frankly disappointing. I tried to do it to scale and the colours appeared muddy and undefined unless you studied them very closely. An effect of good cammo I expect. I would like another bash at it with some slightly oversize worles to see how much better it looks.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thumbs up

Definately give those bigger sworles a worle Rob. Might be just the go.

It appears the bottom of the wings was left natural fabric? And would the Hansa Brandenburg C-1 be a candidate? I have a plan . . . Clipper

It appears the bottom of the wings was left natural fabric? And would the Hansa Brandenburg C-1 be a candidate? I have a plan . . . Clipper
    Virtually all the fabric was delivered to the Oeffag (Oesterreichische Flugzeugfabrik AG) factory from J Backhausen and Sohne. The only aircraft where it was standard was late-model D.III 253's, plus a few of the later 153's. H-B C.Is were only produced by H-B, Ufag (Ungarische Flugzeugfabrik A.G.), and Phoenix (Phönix Flugzeug-Werke).

However... some fabric was delivered to airfields for local repairs. It was rare though.

This represents preprinted fabric from J. Backhausen & Söhne (sons) for the Oeffag factory and applied to the wings and horizontal tail unit of four late production 153. & about 1/3 of all the 253. series Albatros D type machines.
    See http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...l=1#post110462

Thanks for the sworl cammo Zoe. I'll print some off today.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Thanks for the sworl cammo Zoe. I'll print some off today.
    Rob.
    Those aren't oversize with the dimensions I gave you - but since you have the digital file, you can make them any size you like. I find that with my printer (and YMMV) they're OK as is.

If you hurry, you could make a Polish Kosciusko squadron D.III before the D.III comp deadline... no need to do the fuselage bit, which is tricky as it extends past the cockpit.

Note sworl "hubcaps" on this one, a nice touch.

The lower picture suggests a 100% coverage. Upper wings, lower wings, fuselage.... but the upper picture of the same aircraft (No 5) shows a contrast.

– Kościuszko Flight (Klucz "Kościuszko") – BLUE nose
    – Pułaski Flight (Klucz "Pułaski") – RED nose

Too late they cried with one accord. I sent my offering in a couple of weeks ago Zoe.
    The print out of your decals are superb thanks.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    The print out of your decals are superb thanks.

Just what I wanted to hear.

It's always a gamble with different printers, decal papers etc. I look forward to seeing some pics of the results.

As soon as I get back onto my Austro Hungarians, you will be the first to see them Zoe. I have been sidetracked this week on a little project which I hope to get up on the Drome tomorrow, if the decorating of the Hall goes O.K. Before anyone asks, no the hall is not getting a medal, it's not that type of decorating.
    Rob.