Ares Games

Thread: How big is Australia?

Default How big is Australia?

It's almost exactly the same dimensions as the continental USA.

Compared to Europe:

*sighs* Not again...

I apologize, but I just have to:

This map is wrong. The name of my country is The Czech Republic, not "Czech", that is an adjective, not a noun. It is the same if you called The United States of America only using the adjective "United".

In addition to that, the shape of the country is totally wrong (even within the room given by the artistical license) as it includes Slovakia, or Slovak Republic, which is an independent country. The former Czechoslovakia, or Czechoslovak Republic, divided into the two above mentioned countries peacefully on 1st January 1993.

Where Sicily? Where Sardinia?

I'm joking Zoe. It's clear that Australia is really big And a wonderful and interesting place. I hope a day to visit your country together New Zealand.

The Isle of Wight's missing!
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Ok, ok...it's clear now.

You can fill up all the deserts, salty swamps and rocky zones of Australia with good old Europe.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

It's really difficoult to compare Mont Blanc with Uluru or Sydney Opera House with Colosseum but the area of Australia is enough for all of them

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Now that's just too Scilly Gunners, to say nothing of the Channel Islands, Latvia Lithuania Estonia, and how about that bit that says Yugoslavia on it.
    Where is Serbia. After all they started it.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Jan I see the map and also wonder where is Slovika on the map? I thinks its still part of Europe. My grandparents were form Czechoslovkia. My grandfather was in the 23rd Rgt of the Czech Legion.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Attila57 View Post
    Where Sicily? Where Sardinia?

I'm joking Zoe. It's clear that Australia is really big And a wonderful and interesting place. I hope a day to visit your country together New Zealand.
    G'day Attilio! Dont forget to bring some WoG models when you come.
    Last edited by gully_raker; 02-03-2012 at 15:27.

Smile

Dont forget that big rock off the North east coast that some of the Armada found.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    Ok, ok...it's clear now.

You can fill up all the deserts, salty swamps and rocky zones of Australia with good old Europe.
    Haaa, Sven, I see you know our Country very well!

And yet: When I tell Europeans "the front-line of the American Civil War was longer than the Eastern Front in WW2", they won't believe it.

(For reference: The eastern end of the ACW front line was Chesapeake Bay; the western end was somewhere in what is now Arizona....)

Quote Originally Posted by Watchdog View Post
    This map is wrong.
    Yup.

Not only is the Czech Republic and Slovakia depicted as one country (Czechoslovakia), but Slovenia, Serbia, Macedonia, and Croatia are depicted as one country, Yugoslavia, too.

It was correct for the years 1991-1992 though.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    My grandfather was in the 23rd Rgt of the Czech Legion.
    Following the Russian Revolution of 1917, the Bolshevik government concluded the separate Treaty of Brest-Litovsk. The Bolsheviks and the corps agreed to evacuate the Legion to France to join the Czechoslovak corps and continue fighting there. Because Russia's European ports were not safe, the corps was to be evacuated by a long detour via Siberia, the Pacific port of Vladivostok, and the USA.
    Masaryk advised the Legion to stay out of Russian affairs, but as it turned out, this was not possible.

The slow evacuation by the Trans-Siberian railway was exacerbated by transportation shortages – as agreed in the Brest-Litovsk treaty, the Bolsheviks were at the same time repatriating German, Austrian and Hungarian POWs from Siberia. Around this same time Leon Trotsky, then People's Commissar of War, under intense pressure from the Germans, ordered the disarming and arrest of the Legion, thus betraying his promise of safe passage.

Various governmental authorities along the way requested that the Czechoslovaks give up increasing numbers of their guns. In May 1918, tensions with the Bolsheviks provoked what is generally referred to as the Revolt of the Legions.....
    The various parts of the Legion found themselves strung out and separated along the railway. These scattered forces fought a complicated series of battles with the primary objective of re-connecting the various groups and then getting to Vladivostok for their exit to the Western front.

THEN it got complicated. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czechoslovak_Legions

At its peak, the Legion took over a considerable area around the railway from just east of the Volga River all the way to Vladivostok. In the process, they captured a large amount of military and civilian equipment and material, controlling their temporary territory through the use of heavily armed and armored trains
    The retreat through Siberia became an element of the heroic military legend surrounding the legions, compared to the Anabasis of Greek mercenaries across Persia.
    It's also why a Czech General is honoured in Korea for helping them regain their independence from the Japanese. I told you it got complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    And yet: When I tell Europeans "the front-line of the American Civil War was longer than the Eastern Front in WW2", they won't believe it.
    Ever heared the word "Frontbegradigung"

Germans don't like crumpled fronts!

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    Ever heared the word "Frontbegradigung";)

Germans don't like crumpled fronts!:erk:
    Even with the straightening ops, the US front is still longer (and that's just the land front -- if one decides to include the blockade... :) ).

That's why we invented the "Zwei-Fronten-Krieg" to have a much larger frontline then the American Civil War frontline.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Before anybody says anything ... This was sent to me by a friend in Queensland:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aus Giggle With Yell ....jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	186078

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Tonx View Post
    Before anybody says anything ... This was sent to me by a friend in Queensland:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aus Giggle With Yell ....jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	186078
    But it does not mention Drop Bears!

OK, I'll bite - who's Miranda Palmer?

And where's Kylie?
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

OK, I'll bite - who's Miranda Palmer?

And where's Kylie?
    Not too sure as to the Miranda Palmer part of the joke but I think Kylie is omitted for having genuine talent ... Well IMHO she has anyway. BTW did you know that Kylie is Aborigine for boomerang?!

Danni Minogue? Oh, her! More of a meteorite than a star but again IMHO ...