Ares Games

Thread: Is WoW Expensive

Users Country Flag

Name
    Steve
    Sorties Flown

Default Is WoW Expensive

I wanted to run this as a poll but couldn't work out how to. Either that or I don't have access rights.

Anyway, As I am very new to wargaming I may be completely wrong but I do think it's quite expensive. Here in the UK a basic game retails for £27.99, the cheapest miniature is £9.99 rising to £12.99 and the booster packs are also £9.99. If then you want the mats they're another £29.99 each. Of course it can be cheaper to get them off the internet but then you incur postage charges as well. I don't know how these prices compare with other places, bear in mind that for £1 we can currently get 1,13 Euro's or 1.63 USD.

Unlike many games, it's really as expensive as you feel the need to make it. If you feel the need to have everything, including all versions of all released modles, you're probably going to spend a couple hundred dollars a year to keep up with releases, but that can be easily scaled back of you decide you only need 1 or 2 of each model. And if you're not the type who feels you need to have everything, a couple of the base sets can set you up fairly nicely for about the cost of many board games these days.

And more importantly, there's no time pressure to buy everything at once, because it'll never be available again (like most collectible games). So, you can start with minimal investments and pace your spending at whatever rate seems best to you.

I'd say, compared to most collectible games, or most miniature wargames, you'll find that Wings of War is pretty darn cheap. That's my experience, anyway.

Compared to miniature figure wargaming no , all you need to get started is the basic box of cards ,rules etc and 2-4 planes

Quote Originally Posted by mosstrooper View Post
    Compared to miniature figure wargaming no , all you need to get started is the basic box of cards ,rules etc and 2-4 planes
    Agreed...says the guy who owns just about eerything.

It really is relative to what you want to do. Unfortunatel we do not have an active club (YET), so I have collected most of what is available and host when we play(usually with my children and friends).

Fortunately, things are a bit less expensive in the U.S. and you can find most of the models for $9-12 USD and box sets for as little as $20.

If only the WWI deluxe set was available in the UK you'd be laughing.

We're being discrimiated against!

It is not as bad as miniature soldiers but if you get bitten you will simply want more and more, mats, planes, balloons, decals, new models, bases, card for decks, ink for printer etc. etc. I am now approaching the point where I could have got a miniature army for what I have so far bought, and I am still desperate for real players!

If you look around at the prices you can get some planes for around £7.00 (ebay), others will cost you around the £10 mark, but with them you can sometimes get the postage for free (IGUK). Also if you can paint planes, then you go for the cheapest, whoever flies it, and then change it to what you want.

The WW1 Deluxe set is actually available in the UK. I got mine from Stafford Games. It does come with the rules in another language (my version had German language rules) but the rules in English can be downloaded (and Stafford Games will provide you with a photocopy of the rules in English in any event.

You can order online from Stafford Games. The Delux set is a cost effective way of starting out and you get the Red Baron as one of the four models !

Hope this helps

Mark

The advertising slogan on one of czech lemonade says: "If you like it (her / him), there is nothing to solve (everything is clear)." and I think it is same with Wing of War. You can buy first DeLuxe set with just-this-one voice in your head, but if you will really like WoW after several games, you will must have almost everything. Sorry, it is a kinf of a drug

Users Country Flag

Name
    Ian
    Sorties Flown

The game is not to expensive and the Model Planes are optional.

But its the cost of getting extra Manoeuvre decks that start to cost

Users Country Flag

Name
    Ian
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by AlgyLacey View Post
    If only the WWI deluxe set was available in the UK you'd be laughing.

We're being discrimiated against!
    We are, but we live in Europe

You can get the deluxe sets from Germany or France, they cost about €35.

I have ordered a second copy of Fire from the Sky €14.99 plus PP against £26.
    Last edited by DAKorps; 01-20-2010 at 15:18.

No, it is not expensive.

Name
    Jesśs
    Sorties Flown

I don't think it's expensive.

I play lots of other wargames (like Warhammer, Warmachine, Flames of War...) and Wings of War is not as expensive.

The Deluxe Sets are great to start... and after them you only have to buy what you want!! You don't need anything else. In warhammer, flames of war... you need lots of minis to start playing. That's the difference.

I am involved in another collectible miniature wargame....we refer to it as "plastic crack" once you get some you have to have more.

At least with WoW there are limited quantities.....right?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Andre
    Sorties Flown

While I agree that the game overall is cheaper than almost everything else I play. Its start up cost is above average in my opinion.

Andre

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierSteve View Post
    I wanted to run this as a poll but couldn't work out how to. Either that or I don't have access rights.

Anyway, As I am very new to wargaming I may be completely wrong but I do think it's quite expensive. Here in the UK a basic game retails for £27.99, the cheapest miniature is £9.99 rising to £12.99 and the booster packs are also £9.99. If then you want the mats they're another £29.99 each. Of course it can be cheaper to get them off the internet but then you incur postage charges as well. I don't know how these prices compare with other places, bear in mind that for £1 we can currently get 1,13 Euro's or 1.63 USD.
    your about $3NZD cheaper then us in New Zealand [our planes range from $25-$30 each and the box sets are from $50NZD to $70NZD]

Cheers
    GW

As a miniature maniac, I think Wings of War (WW I) is quite expensive: here in Finland the Deluxe Set costs 42 €, an extra plane 13 € and a two-seater 16 € (card-based Booster Packs about 12 €). Anyway, as everyone may agree, they all are worth of the price.

Here are very few shops to by from, but they all have good supplies of WoW. However, before the second wave of Series 1, I bought a couple of planes from UK.

Default As expensive as you make it

Solder Steve

I would agree the cheapest way to get into the miniatures side of WoW (WW1) or DoWW2 would be to buy the Deluxe Set. You get four aircraft plus damage cards/chits, manouvre decks, rules, all other game pieces for the same price as 4 planes.

Of course once you have those four miniatures you will not be able to stop there.......

Cheers,

Carl Brisgamer
    (who started with 2 miniatures in December 2007 and now has 53 WW1 and 44 WW2 miniatures!)

I think it cheaper than every other wargame with minis I know. I mean those planes are well produced, good quality and prepainted. Ans still you can forget about them and order other minis in the right scale or just stick to the cards. For European buyers it's a great deal. Of course the weak pound and the dollar makes the game more expensive in the UK and in the US.

It's not so expensive that getting a second job won't take care of the cost... the real problem is that it seems that most of us (on this site) are addicts, and That is why it's expensive...

'Hi, my name is Kent, and I have a gaming problem...'

Name
    Jesśs
    Sorties Flown

'Hi, my name is Kent, and I have a gaming problem...'
    Hello, Kent.

Yes, that's the real problem. It's not expensive 'cause you don't need to expend a lot of money to play...
    But it's veeery expensive if you want all the planes and all the things an you want it, you know you want it!!!! xDDDD

I would say it has one of the cheapest entry costs for a game. The basic box sets are not over priced and you do get a lot of stuff in them. The minis priced nicely as well.

One of the things I really like about this game is how cheap it is for a second player to get in. If the group is playing with minis, all they have to do is pick up one mini and they are set to play with the group. This one fact brought about 8-9 new players to our campaign.

Expensive? I reckon I've spent a kings ransom on this stuff, and with the way this year is going to turn out, I reckon I'd better set my sights on kidnapping another one to get my hands on some more gold! But its all because I'm addicted in a bad way.

To be honest with you as far as other games go it should be pretty good on the pocket. To get into Dawn of War (WW2 version) buy the Deluxe version and thats all you need, and with Wings of War (WW1 version) grab a set like Famous Aces and four models of what takes your fancy and you'd be set for a good while........... Then two weeks later after a few games you'll probably want to buy everything else you can get your hands on, then you've got a problem.

Come to think of it the answer is.....
    Yes its expensive and hideously so!
    Last edited by Roger Wilco; 01-22-2010 at 00:27. Reason: Forgot to take my medicine, and a shot from my puffer

Users Country Flag

Name
    Brian
    Sorties Flown

No but it can be.

Hi, my name is Brian, and I have a gaming problem...

It looks like the game's price scales with your interest in it.

There are very few boardgames that have a base set available online for under $30 USD. Buying 2 of the base games is only gonna cost you around $50 USD.

Now...where you take it from there is entirely up to your interest level. I am starting with cards after literally years of just looking at this game and trying to figure out how I want to handle it.

My thought was that I'd get Famous Aces & Burning Drachens. If I want to go Miniatures I'd pick up the Deluxe Edition since it's cheaper than buying those models individually and then buy models as needed.

From what I can tell ownership of every single model is a luxury not a necessity by any means.

As a former miniature wargamer I can relate this to you...

Warmachine from Privateer Press gained A LOT of good press back in 2004/05 when it was released because of the low cost of entry. I decided to jump in because of that...here's the price of entry in 2004/05 for that game.

Rulebook - $20
    Faction Box Set - $40
    Zap a Gap Glue - $7
    Black Spray Primer - $10
    Blue, Dark Blue, Gold, Gunmetal, Yellow Paints - $20
    Pin Vice - $7
    Small File Set - $10
    Basing Materials - $10
    Shoebox with craft foam for transporting everything - $10

Total Cost of Entry for a "cheap" miniature wargame: $134

Now...that's the base cost of entry for the smallest fieldable army for friendly games. If you wanted to play locally against other people it was around another $75 bucks in miniatures which meant I needed a real case like an Army Transport with Foam, etc. which was around $60.

So by the time everything was said and done with year 1 of that game...I was in at least $300 bucks.

You can buy A LOT of WOW for $300 and you field a much greater variety of planes and scenarios for $300 in WOW than I could in Warmachine.

By the time my Warmachine days were over I auctioned everything on Ebay and got over $850 for everything which was a slight loss on what I paid retail for everything.

For $850 you can own everything for WOW and DOW probably! Cost is a relative thing and Wings of War doesn't penalize you as harshly as other games might for not owning everything under the sun.

I guess there is another gaming system you could compare the pricing to and the amount of gaming you could achieve.

Grandma Wendy [aka Games workshop]

When I was a young fella I was paying very little to get into warhammer 40k. an army then would have been around $150NZD to $250NZD and that would have been a decent amount of troops. But now your paying close to $1200NZD -$1500NZD for a decent amount of troops considering a Dreadnought is $90NZD [and you may need more then one] tanks are any where from $70NZD to $120NZD and a squad of troops are around $50NZD to $70NZD....plus the rules are made up of alot of "chart searching" roll on this chart compare the result on this chart then add the effect from this chart now roll 100 dice and see if you actually did anything.

breath count to 10....1...2...3.....

sorry about the rant but it boils my blood seeing young kids get hooked on to a game system and then bankruppt their parents as they are dragged over the super heated and over inflated prices some game companies demaind for their product.

Now compare that to Wings of War. A simple game that adheres to the K.I.S.S rule [Keep It Simple Stupid] And gives both card and mini players a great range of product [and certainly gives us mini players some great toys to play with. Some of those new expansions sets and new box sets coming are looking GREAT. Its going to be a great year for WoW players.]

now that i have had my $0.10 [we no longer have 1c, 2c or 5c coins]
    I shell slink off to the pits....

Cheers
    GeyWolf

Quote Originally Posted by sparty View Post
    My thought was that I'd get Famous Aces & Burning Drachens. If I want to go Miniatures I'd pick up the Deluxe Edition since it's cheaper than buying those models individually and then buy models as needed.
    You may want to consider Watch your Back and Burning Drachens instead. That way you will have all the damage decks, and be able to expand by booster packs or miniatures without worrying whether or not you've got the right deck for them.

Yeah...I already caved....

I've got Watch Your Back and some minis on order. I figured that I'd kick myself if I didn't at least try the game with minis and get all the boxed sets.

As stated compared to some other minatures (such as game workshop who produce crap and rip of the consumer) the price of the WoW is fair considering you gat a painted model which you can use imediatly (I am one of those people who don't like unpainted minatures used in a game) I also do a lot of figure wargaming in 10mm the figures are quite cheep but you have to paint them up. So in comparisome I would say I am getting my money's worth with the WoW minatures. Finaly if you are a true wargames fanatic price don't matter! and yes I have been like that for all my wargaming life.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    As stated compared to some other minatures (such as game workshop who produce crap and rip of the consumer) the price of the WoW is fair considering you gat a painted model which you can use imediatly (I am one of those people who don't like unpainted minatures used in a game)
    Even compared to other airplane miniatures available, it's true that you can get a kit for a few dollars cheaper, but that won't come with a maneuver deck. And even if you're planning to do a custom paint job, the assembly time and hassle alone is worth an order of magnitude more than the price saving.

Similar Missions

1. WoW 1/144?
    By costampede in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-25-2010, 05:35
  2. What did you get for Christmas? (WOW related)
    By pflanzer in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-01-2010, 22:55
  3. Availability of WOW
    By Bigman in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-06-2009, 09:39
  4. In praise of WoW
    By Belis4rius in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-09-2009, 15:27
  5. WoW B.E. 2c?