Ares Games

Thread: Rare one by a famous WWI designer

Default Rare one by a famous WWI designer

Here's a rare bird by a famous WWI designer, any one have a guess? I give Zoe 3 seconds, how about you?

Clipper's archives leaking a bit . . .

Come on troops! You can do better than that! Here's a shot of the illustrious designer climbing into the cockpit surrounded by a team that will make aviation history into the present day, oh yeah the date of the picture is June 7, 1911

Clipper's ticking . . .

Had to be before August 18th IIRC though.

Here's a clue - though a cryptic one. It has a tenuous connection with these three aircraft :

That certainly is a very fine model in several ways.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Looks like a wrong brothers plane if I am wright.

Well... if I'm not mistaken, the top plane in the pic of three hints is a Santos-Dumont machine...

Quote Originally Posted by jbmacek View Post
    Well... if I'm not mistaken, the top plane in the pic of three hints is a Santos-Dumont machine...
    You're not mistaken.

http://wwiaviation.blogspot.com/2011...-1911-se1.html

Instead of doing it the easy way and seeing where Zoe's link was coming from, I did an image search on "early pusher canard biplanes." The result was some fascinating images, such as:

Quote Originally Posted by jbmacek View Post
    It's the RAF SE 1.
    Correct. A Santos Experimental 1, made from parts of a crashed Bleriot, by De Havilland.

More data and photos at http://flyingmachines.ru/Site2/Crafts/Craft28562.htm

Well done troops! Have an extra pint! Zoe of course, well done to you too! The Faber sea plane was one I also built four different sizes of for free flight, some where I have some pictures . . . very stable flying model and quite unorthodox in construction as well. Okay, back to the production room for me! Thanks for having my fun! Clipper

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    Correct. A Santos Experimental 1, made from parts of a crashed Bleriot, by De Havilland.

More data and photos at http://flyingmachines.ru/Site2/Crafts/Craft28562.htm
    I thought the fuselarge looked like Bleriot but I knew it wasnt one.
    Did not pick it as a S-D though.

"Santos" here means "in the style of a Santos aircraft". That is, a canard design. Similarly "Farman" and "Bleriot" styles.

Thus a "Santos Experimental" (as in SE.1) is a canard aircraft, a "Bleriot Experimental" (as in BE.2c) has the tail at the back, and a "Farman Experimental" (as in FE.2b) has a cage tail.

Later SE became "Scout Experimental", hence SE.5a etc.