Ares Games

Thread: Building the Skytrex Halberstadt C LII.

Default Building the Skytrex Halberstadt C LII.

Building the Skytrex Halberstadt CLII.

This was a simple build excepting that no propeller is supplied with this kit so I made my own.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1154.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	32945
    1. As usual clean off the flash. This particular kit was quite a clean one.
    2. Clear out the fixing holes with an appropriate drill and test fit the struts etc. I also drilled out for the flight peg at this stage so that I could mount the plane on my painting stand.

Name:	DSC_1159.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	43045

3. Print out, draw up, and cut out the wing decals, tail decals and wheel decals if required.

Name:	DSC_1163.jpg 
Size:	108.4 KB 
ID:	43047

4. Glue in cabine struts the correct way round. Do the back set first, using the top wing as an alignment jig. Then once set, add the single forward strut in a similar manner.

Name:	DSC_1155.jpg 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	43043

5. Next put in the main struts and using the top wing again to get the alignment correct.

Name:	DSC_1157.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	32947

6. Then set up the plane for spray painting the white undercoat.

Name:	DSC_1162.jpg 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	43046

7. Spray paint undercoat.

Name:	DSC_1165.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	43048

8. Disassemble wing members, but not cabines.
    9. Paint all parts not being decaled. Start with the hand painted camo. Colour test against the printed camo and try to get the dappled effect of the original. I used a foam eye makeup applicator to get the sponged on effect.

Name:	DSC_1166.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	32952

10. Next paint the rest of the body of the aircraft, pilot wheels and struts etc.

Name:	DSC_1168.jpg 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	43050

11. Decal the bottom wing and tail, using Micro set to aid the positioning and adhesion. After ten minutes apply Micro sol to contour your decal to the model.

Name:	DSC_1199.jpg 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	43051

12. Clear out the strut holes where they are covered by the decals. Then fit the main struts in pairs, using the top wing as a jig once more. This time glue them in place.

13. Once set, glue on the top wing.

14. Invert the plane and assemble and glue the undercart.

Name:	DSC_1201.jpg 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	43053

15. Allow to set and then apply any insignia using the Micro set products as before.

Name:	DSC_1203.jpg 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	43054

16. Allow to dry overnight and varnish to taste.

Name:	DSC_1204.jpg 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	43041

The decals used on this model were APC. They are very fine in texture and show up all the underlying detail very well but because of this tend to wrinkle if overworked.They also loose colour if the top surface gets wet, so I would not recommend them unless you are an expert decaler.

Rob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_1154.jpg   DSC_1157.jpg   DSC_1166.jpg   DSC_1200.jpg   DSC_1155.jpg  

DSC_1159.jpg   DSC_1162.jpg   DSC_1163.jpg   DSC_1165.jpg   DSC_1168.jpg  

DSC_1199.jpg   DSC_1200.jpg   DSC_1201.jpg   DSC_1203.jpg   DSC_1204.jpg  

Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 04-27-2012 at 12:09.

That looks great. So tell me, what was up with the prop? Did it come as two separate blades that needed to be glued in place?

Oh, never mind. I see the explanation at the top of the page.

Another great 'how to', and with the red flames, Schlasta 26b is always going to be a favourite.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick62 View Post
    Another great 'how to', and with the red flames, Schlasta 26b is always going to be a favourite.
    Thanks Baldrick. Don't suppose you have the namesof any pilots for that outfit?. I am getting fed up with having to ask Max to put unknown pilot on these cards.
    Rob.
    Last edited by 7eat51; 08-09-2013 at 11:27.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

The Mirage kit gives the names of one Schlasta 26b crew, and it's even for the same aircraft ID number. http://www.gdkits.com/images/10_MIR-48136_L.jpg

It's Pion. Paul Schwarze (pilot) and Uffz. Franz Schumm (observer). FYI longform that's Pionier (Bavarian equivalent of Flieger, or Private rank for aircrew) and Unteroffizer (Corporal).
    Last edited by IRM; 01-31-2012 at 04:45.

Quote Originally Posted by IRM View Post
    The Mirage kit gives the names of one Schlasta 26b crew, and it's even for the same aircraft ID number. http://www.gdkits.com/images/10_MIR-48136_L.jpg

It's Pion. Paul Schwarze (pilot) and Uffz. Franz Schumm (observer). FYI longform that's Pionier (Bavarian equivalent of Flieger, or Private rank for aircrew) and Unteroffizer (Corporal).
    Thanks Iain.
    That will do nicely.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

That looks truely awesome Rob well done.

Very nice and clean build - Amidst the discussion on Shapeways quality and other options. Just a note on the kit: Is it me or does the nose look rather pointy?

Quote Originally Posted by GilmoreDK View Post
    Very nice and clean build - Amidst the discussion on Shapeways quality and other options. Just a note on the kit: Is it me or does the nose look rather pointy?

Nothing a little milliput under the nose won't fix.

Default Schlasta 26b Crews

Sorry Kytie,
    I can give you individual names, and some crew pairings, but unfortunately not the serials or unit numbers of the aircraft the crews flew in S26b.
    BofB