Ares Games

Thread: Project: _Wings of Glory_/_Crimson Skies_ Crossover

Default Project: _Wings of Glory_/_Crimson Skies_ Crossover

There's been some discussion of taking Microsoft/FASA's _Crinsom Skies_ air-combat game, and converting it to use _WoG_ rules.

Meanwhile: I've been actually *doing* it (with aid from Max Headroom's computer-graphics skills).

Here's where we are at the moment:

_CS_ planes had three stats, which varied according to the unit: Maximum Acceleration; Maximum Speed; and Maximum G-load (respectively hereafter MA, MS, and MG). These are being retained.

_CS_ armor value will determine the Hit Points [HP] of the unit.

Given the plethora of weapons available, WW2 damage chits will be used.

A feature which _WoG_ players will not immediately be familiar with, but _CS_ players will: Hardpoints [HP]. Each unit will have a certain number of HP, on which can be hung various types of rockets, bombs, and such. Chits will be used to indicate rocket types.

The Speed of a unit will be from 1-5 (with 0 included for Stalls). When choosing which maneuver card to use, the unit's current speed will be a factor (that is: If its speed last turn is 2, and its MA is 2, it cannot perform a Speed 5 maneuver this turn). Speed will be marked with a numbered chit (for reason explained below).

Each maneuver will have a Speed value (which the unit must be traveling in order to perform the maneuver), and a G-rating; if the maneuver's G-rating exceeds the unit's MG, the unit must draw damage chits.

Rather than every acft. having its own unique maneuver deck, there will be a single maneuver deck type, with all possible maneuvers included therein; if a unit is insufficiently fast to perform a maneuver, the player can ignore those maneuvers. The speed marker mentioned earlier will be used in combination with the card to indicate which maneuver the player has planned to use (that is: If the card chosen has a "3" marker on it, the player has chosen the Speed 3 maneuver on that card); of course, both card and marker will be placed face-down.

As this is the "interstice" between WW1 and WW2, a variant of the WW2 movement-selection will be employed: A Novice Pilot will have to plot moves two turns in advance; a Regular Pilot, one turn (in essence, the normal WW2 rules); an Expert Pilot will not have to plan in advance. (Experience levels are as-yet undetermined.)

So, that's where we are at the moment.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Rob
    Sorties Flown

This looks really interesting. I've only ever played the Xbox version Crimson Skies, but I may have to buy myself so of the clix models and try this out.

Update: Rockets are more-or-less sorted. I do need one question answered, tho'.

Place one of the circular markers one full ruler-length in front of an airplane; then move the airplane once, using any legal maneuver. Is it possible for the moving plane to *not* be within one ruler-length of the marker after that movement? (This has to do with one of the special rocket types.)

Has any more progress been made on this project?

I wish! Sadly the date was 2012 and Chris left us a few years ago. I have a box of planes tucked away for this hope . . . any others?

Only version of Crimson Skies I have played was the Wizkids clix version. Pretty fun. The models were very nicely done.

Chris uplifted 4 files on this; actually, the only files he did.
    Go to his profile page, and click on the files tab, and you'll see the links.
    I downloaded them back when, but did no playtesting with them. I also have a box of CS clix, so......
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

HHmm... I will have to take a look.