Ares Games

Thread: RNAS Black Flight Colour Suggestion

Skid

Default RNAS Black Flight Colour Suggestion

I am embarking on a project to assemble the Blackflight using Revirecso Tripe models. The question I have concerns what is a good clour match to the PC12 RN used at the time for the upper comouflage? I have a bunch of Citidel and Valejo paints, has anyone come up with a good mix?

Thanks in advance;
    John
    Last edited by Skid; 01-26-2012 at 08:21.

There have been endless discussions on WWI forums regarding PC10 and PC12, and there have also been endless discussions on WWI forums on which was painted on Sopwith Triplanes, including the Black Flight. Albatros/Windsock publications has an issue "WWI British Aeorplane Colours and Markings" that includes close-up photographs that it says depicts actual samples of PC10 and PC12. Assuming the color registers of the magazine are correct, they are extremely close in darkness and tone. Both are dark blackish khaki. PC10 has a very slight bit more yellow tone to my eye. PC12 has a very slight bit more red tone to my eye. Below is my Tripe model with a match according to my eye. Light and dark areas in the photo - the correct color is on the centerline.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1671.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	136.7 KB 
ID:	32567.

Skid

Mike;

Perfect. I think I can match something close to this.

Thanks;
    John

Personally, since the two colors in the publication are so close and it takes exterior sunlight to tell them apart, and since my miniatures are only used indoors for wargaming and a little "show and tell" prior to a wargame, I use the same color as PC10 on other British aircraft that I'm currently painting. Only a true WWI aviation devotee would know the difference and I don't believe there are any in my local wargame clubs....

From most of the colour plates etc. I have seen I always assumed one tended toward green (PC12) and the other brown (PC10), I always go for the greener shade for my British aircraft apart from two triplanes which are brownish.

Remember that the colored dope used on the plane would tend to fade over time when exposed to sunlight.
    The fading was probably faster during WW I than it would be today.
    However, it is still a problem today.
    See: http://www.supercub.org/forum/showth...ding-on-wings&
    Regardless of which dark blackish khaki you choose, as long as it is somewhat close, there probably was a plane which matched that color at some time.

See Scientific American article from 1919 about effect of sunlight on (PC10):
    http://books.google.com/books?id=3AM...fading&f=false

See discussion of weathering WW I aircraft models:
    http://cs.finescale.com/FSMCS/forums...8/1324344.aspx

Ken

I use Vallejo Chocolate brown...

My Version of Black Prince & Black Death

I used GW Scorched Brown as a base then added Revell Dark Earth & GW Snakebite Leather untill matched the colour in the Osprey book

Very nice Chris

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Skid

Thanks all for the information. Anoher question what set are you using for the lettering decals, especially for the names around the cockpit?

Thanks,
    Skid
    Last edited by Skid; 01-27-2012 at 05:35.

Quote Originally Posted by GilmoreDK View Post
    I use Vallejo Chocolate brown...
    I've started using Vallejo Russian Uniform mixed with varying amounts of Saddle Brown
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

For my Black Flight, the decals are a mix.
    Roundals/lettering are from Shed models, the names "Black......." all home made

Exclamation

For what its worth here is a pic of my Shapeways Tripe painted with Vallejo "Brown Violet"Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sop Triplane rear side.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	32676