Ares Games

Thread: Alternative Rules

Name
    Jesús
    Sorties Flown

Default Alternative Rules

Hi!

It's a fact that the rulebook contains some main rules (that you MUST use) and a lot of alternative rules (that you MAY use)...

I've been playing some games using the main rules (really easy to learn, something I must thank)... After some games, we wanted to start with some of the alternative (or additional, I'm not sure which is the right term).

I like altitude rules, also the fuel ones, the tailing, the aiming...
    On the other side, I don't like very much the aceleration ones...

Which ones do you use (if you don't use the all of them)?

Which ones do you think are essentials??

Which ones do you prefer???

Thanks a lot!!

For WW2 we use 2 alternative rules. 1. Altitude and 2. fuel.
    Fuel usage is what makes the high low speed rules work. Otherwise everyone just zips around at max speed most of the time.

Pooh

It really depends who is playing with our group. We have players that range in age and experience.

The most common ones we use:
    Damage options (some not all, smoke and fire usually)
    Acceleration
    Hit the actual plane
    Tailing
    Aim

If we are introducing a new player we usually keep it simple with the basic rules

We have used altitude, but found it to be very time consuming and slowed play alot. Recntly saw the gauges someone posted which we will try in the future which I think will make altitude more playable.

One optional House rule I am considering is the reusing of damage tokens. This amke alot of sense to me and I am surprised it was not in the rules. When a damage token is drawn the damge can be rcorded and then the token replaced in the container. Harger to do with WWI, but for WWII it makes all the sense in the world. This way everyone has the same odds of drawing damage no mater how many planes are flying or what has already been drawn. Additionally it only requires one set of tokens no matter how many planes are flying. If using explosion then it is always a threat. I have always thought it was a bit "gamey" that when someone draws explosion other pilots start taking more risks.

Name
    Jesús
    Sorties Flown

This amke alot of sense to me and I am surprised it was not in the rules. When a damage token is drawn the damge can be rcorded and then the token replaced in the container. Harger to do with WWI, but for WWII it makes all the sense in the world. This way everyone has the same odds of drawing damage no mater how many planes are flying or what has already been drawn. Additionally it only requires one set of tokens no matter how many planes are flying. If using explosion then it is always a threat. I have always thought it was a bit "gamey" that when someone draws explosion other pilots start taking more risks.
    Completely agree with you

Is acceleration new with WWII? Has a Sturmovik come out yet??

Quote Originally Posted by afilter View Post
    I have always thought it was a bit "gamey" that when someone draws explosion other pilots start taking more risks.
    Explosions go back to the pool after drawn.

aricart

Default Engine power

Playing a game zero vs wildcat
    the cards show the zero as being able to turn at slower speed but the horsepower to weight in the wildcat was lower than the zero, which therefore would loose less speed
    has anyone posted house rules on how different aircraft would loose speed during tight turns?
    Alberto

I am a fan of all the alternative rules from the first two box sets... after that I have little experience with them, but that will be changing soon if all goes as planned!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Here is a list of optional rules I don't like:

-fuel: additional book keeping.
    -hit the real thing: ranges are low enough already.
    -tailing: additional rules to remember which don't add much to the fun factor.
    -aim: hard to remember and creates situations which don't make much sense like shooting someone head on, immelman turning after them and then firing with aim bonus.

We play WoW mostly.

having said that, we use:

MG jamb (occasionally use bullet checker)
    Smoke
    Fire
    Tailing + Aim (when we remember)
    rarely use altitude
    Aim/hit the actual aircraft vs the base