Ares Games

Thread: WWI-String bags revisited

Default WWI-String bags revisited

Finally had the opportunity to play WWI WoW yesterday for the first time in a very long time.

We have been playing WWII since the release of the Set 1 minis.

I have to say it was a great time. There are many things I like about WWII, but overall I think the 3 card manuever system is a big plus in WWI combat.

Better yet we recruited a couple new pilots, my brother and father in law, in two 3 on 3 down and dirty dogfights with six different planes. They are hooked. The age of pilots ranged from 10-65 once again proving this is a game that can be enjoyed by any age.

Tuesday we start our Historical Wargame night at the LGS and I think Wings of War WWI will be out first game we introduce. The LGS carries it and has all the boxed sets as well as a variety of minis available if others get the itch.

I will make sure to get some pics when next we take to the skies.

Happy flying.... and of course "watch your six"

Good show afilter! If you can swing it, try having the new Red Baron movie sound track playing quietly in the background... it adds a nice touch to the games!

Cool idea! Is the Red Barron available in the states yet? I looked for it this Summer and no one even heard of it.

I've not see the soundtrack here in the States. There is a thread that links to the UTube of the soundtrack though. I also recall some people listing where you could get it here in the US.

Not to put you guys off, but I wouldn't buy it. Also the movie is completely in German. Over here (Belgium) there were even no subtitles. I just didn't understand what was going on. I also feel the movie suffers from the romantic point of view.
    I really wonder why all the war movies nowadays always need to include a romance.

Yes, the movie is not good (third thread about this...) but the soundtrack is really great!

Quote Originally Posted by Vigfus View Post
    I really wonder why all the war movies nowadays always need to include a romance.
    According to the experts it is because MOST movie tickets are bought by women, so what woman is going to go see a boring old war movie unless it has something intresting in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie3 View Post
    According to the experts it is because MOST movie tickets are bought by women, so what woman is going to go see a boring old war movie unless it has something intresting in it?
    When someone will make a film about pilots of recoinnassance pink Spitfires (and their wives and sweethearts), it will be the most prosperous warfilm ever
    How many girls and women saw (for example) Pearl Harbour? And how many saw Battle of Britain or Battle of Midway? I think, the answer is clear

Toolian

Link me to the vids and I can extract the audio, convert them to MP3 and post them for down load.

The movie it self was OK-ish. Not great. Ordered the DVD on Amazon.com