Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why so few French?

Default Why so few French?

Just pondering, but it seems we have a bit of an imbalance between the major nations when looking at the models produced, specifically, why so few French?

The initial releases have 1 Spad, 2 Nieport (inc Lufberry) and 2 Br14s

In comparison, the US get 2 Spads, one DH4, one SE5(!), one BR14

Is this because of the FFG connection - trying to "big up" the US contribution for the US market?

Our 3d designers are helping, with N11s etc, but we still seen to be short some major French aircraft - Salmson 2, Spad IX anyone? How about a Caudron R11 Gunbus?

Just an early morning ponder as I prep my Caudron G IV

We have been asking ourselves the question ever since the site opened Ken. The most obvious answer is the market demand, and the fact that with the first releases some models hung on the shelves. However, with the growing demand for more obscure models as evidenced in the upsurge in Shapeways production bonanza, I believe that a rethink on this marketing stratergy, if that is indeed what it was, is in order. It will be interesting to see which way Aries takes us.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Exclamation

That is interesting & I dont think we have many French players here on the Aerodrome? Maybe the game has not taken off in France?
    I think you forgot the Nungusser Nieuport 17 model & the Prince/De Gubert Balloon buster.
    Lots of Belgian players & they have only a token force with Olislagers Camel & the RE8 so they too deserve more "joy"!

Yes indeed Barry, and our Italian comrades are hard done by too, considering that the game emanated there and the rapidly growing membership in that country.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    That is interesting & I dont think we have many French players here on the Aerodrome? Maybe the game has not taken off in France?
    I think you forgot the Nungusser Nieuport 17 model & the Prince/De Gubert Balloon buster.
    Lots of Belgian players & they have only a token force with Olislagers Camel & the RE8 so they too deserve more "joy"!
    The French do have their own French language WoW/WoG site maybe that is why they are not on the Aerodrome which of course is in English (mostly)

http://merlindex.free.fr/spip/index.php

Ken, I suspect that you're partly right with the FFG connection - but we Brits moan about under representation too ! We may have the aircraft but many pilots represented are Commonwealth, however, you have to remember this was their first shot at the game & they had a lot of bases to cover. Besides if we weren't repainting & making 'unofficial' minis what would we have done in between releases !!

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Burt View Post
    The French do have their own French language WoW/WoG site maybe that is why they are not on the Aerodrome which of course is in English (mostly)

http://merlindex.free.fr/spip/index.php
    Had a look at their site - Like the maneuver sheet.

/Niclas

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    - but we Brits moan about under representation too !
    The reason is very clear!

The good work of our Jastas...
    Voilà le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Just ordered the last boosters for WoW.

There are a lot of French and Italian pilots represented.

If we're talking about the minis, it's another theme.

I like the Belgium Camel a lot. But many people don't like it and demand more UK, US and German planes.

By the way: This Thred belongs to the general discussion area.
    Voilà le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    The reason is very clear!

The good work of our Jastas...
    Easy Tiger !!

Lets not go there...

"He is wise who watches"

I ... being one of the American targets ... am surprised by the mix of planes... maybe I'm not typical but I think there should have been more Belgium, French and British planes... we Yanks didn't come into it until late in the game.. I think the game should have started with the early years and then branched out from there.. unfortunately that means many Americans might not have gotten into it right off... and that would be a shame..
    For histories sake I think they need to establish the main players in the war... then they can play to the egos and bring in the yanks... lol.. just my 2pennies

Well, if they want to put in all types of aircraft they inevitably end up with some that had only been flown by one nation.

I am actually surprised that the Italians are not represented much more, both card- and mini-wise.

Good that I have my pile of Citadel paints and brushes so I can repaint anything I like to.

Quote Originally Posted by rote Flügel View Post
    I ... being one of the American targets ... am surprised by the mix of planes... maybe I'm not typical but I think there should have been more Belgium, French and British planes... we Yanks didn't come into it until late in the game.. I think the game should have started with the early years and then branched out from there.. unfortunately that means many Americans might not have gotten into it right off... and that would be a shame..
    For histories sake I think they need to establish the main players in the war... then they can play to the egos and bring in the yanks... lol.. just my 2pennies
    Sorry - no intention to make our US Cousins "targets" just seemed a bit unbalanced. It doesn't take much to realise that in many areas the French were real innovators and practitioners and that they sold their designs and armed the Entente. The Brits seemed to have provided France with the 1 1/2 strutter, but after that I cant think of anything else. The French provided the Brits (and everyone else) SPADS, N11s, N17, Farmans of every ilk, not to mention the Hanriots they sold to Belgium and Italy. The list goes on, but we dont seem to have that "on table".

I think this is "hobby" btw (apols if not) but even our Shapeways designers seem to think French is not popular (assuming popular = design) as C only has 4 French (inc variants) and K has 7, that's 11 out of maybe 60 designs (sorry - didnt do a full count). I'm not being critical, but it did make me ponder why?
    Last edited by PilGrim; 01-20-2012 at 14:27.

Actually, the game is quite popular in France but it is also sold in small games shop, not in large toys stores.
    There is a french language Wings of War forum site http://wingsofwar.forum2jeux.com/ , and a few of its members is registered on the WOG Aerodrome where we can find interesting informations and nice pictures.
    But we french people are usually not fluent enough with english language !!

As France in 1914-1918 was one of the main planes producers, I also consider that there should be more WOG miniatures with french colors.

Although I am from the US, I enjoy having a variety of countries represented in the game! After all, it was called World War I!

Quote Originally Posted by PilGrim View Post
    Just pondering, but it seems we have a bit of an imbalance between the major nations when looking at the models produced, specifically, why so few French?
    I think this is really a casualty of the way the sides were stacked in WWI. The producers primary need is to produce a balanced selection from both sides of the conflict. For the Central powers, that means splitting time between the Germans and the Austrians (and if you don't pay close attention, it can be hard to tell the difference). The Entante have to divide their production between France, Britain (& Commonwealth), Italy, Belgium, and the U.S. Add on top of that the oversized portion we Yanks get for being a massive commercial market, and the French just end up with an inordinately small slice of the pie.

Quote Originally Posted by monse View Post
    Actually, the game is quite popular in France
    Salut, Simon

Is there any way we can have more of a cultural exchange with the Francophone sites? Perhaps our database of what models are available might be useful to them, or the cards and stats. They certainly have many things useful to us, they are an invaluable resource when it comes to French markings.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwarflord22 View Post
    Although I am from the US, I enjoy having a variety of countries represented in the game! After all, it was called World War I!
    Actually, it was called the Great War by the players.... the historians changed it later to fit in with their concepts... and the politicians could not be blamed for the fact that ww2 was just a continuation of the the great war because of their stupidity in their part of the 20 year truce between the combats....

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    Salut, Simon

Is there any way we can have more of a cultural exchange with the Francophone sites? Perhaps our database of what models are available might be useful to them, or the cards and stats. They certainly have many things useful to us, they are an invaluable resource when it comes to French markings.
    In France, you may find the same models than in other countries (it means no more Fokker DVII !!!).
    Do I have well understood your question ?

Some of the french forum members have created these kind of documents among many others :
    http://merlindex.free.fr/spip/IMG/pdf/chronologie.pdf : it shows month and years when the planes where used during WWI (on main battlefront).
    http://merlindex.free.fr/wowadj/Mano...OWparMONSE.pdf : manoeuver cards for every planes WWI
    http://aeroplastic.free.fr/wingsofwar/ : manoeuver and damage cards WWII
    Last edited by monse; 01-20-2012 at 17:29.

Some of the french forum members have created these kind of documents among many others :
    http://merlindex.free.fr/spip/IMG/pdf/chronologie.pdf : it shows month and years when the planes where used during WWI (on main battlefront).
    http://merlindex.free.fr/wowadj/Mano...OWparMONSE.pdf : manoeuver cards for every planes WWI
    http://aeroplastic.free.fr/wingsofwar/ : manoeuver and damage cards WWII
    Magnifique! Now if we could extend those to all aircraft, including the ones one our unofficial list, that would be even better. That is the kind of "cultural exchange" I mean. Each of us can benefit the other.

Thumbs up

Actually, the game is quite popular in France but it is also sold in small games shop, not in large toys stores.
    There is a french language Wings of War forum site http://wingsofwar.forum2jeux.com/ , and a few of its members is registered on the WOG Aerodrome where we can find interesting informations and nice pictures.
    But we french people are usually not fluent enough with english language !!

As France in 1914-1918 was one of the main planes producers, I also consider that there should be more WOG miniatures with french colors.
    G'day Simon, great to hear from you!
    Mate, if the other French players can post in English as good as you did they will have NO problems.

May I echo what my fellow pilots have said Simon. It is great to have some contact with you on the Drome.
    Merlin seems to be theother main French poster, and we do need more interaction with our gallant Allies.
    Rob.

Mate, if the other French players can post in English as good as you did they will have NO problems.
    Thank you but I know I make many mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    . It is great to have some contact with you on the Drome.
    Merlin seems to be theother main French poster, and we do need more interaction with our gallant Allies.
    Rob.
    Thanks for your welcome.
    (gallant allies but we also play german !!).
    Merlindex is one of the senior commander of 2 WoG websites.

I will post on a next message creation proposed by french players (deck proposal for unofficial planes …) but I've read that there is an unofficial list. Where could I find it ?

We enjoy the kind of great job you make on the aerodrome.
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...do=file&id=395

Hope we can help by sharing useful informations.

You will find it here Simon.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...p?do=cat&id=59

Rob.

Thank you Rob for those interesting files.

Here are some french tricks for the cultural exchanges (I don't if it is the correct thread to post it).

Pictures and cards used for complex manoeuvers :
    http://merlindex.free.fr/spip/IMG/pd..._Complexes.pdf

month and years when the planes where used during WWI (on main battlefront) :
    http://merlindex.free.fr/spip/IMG/pdf/chronologie.pdf

manoeuver cards for every official WoW WWI planes :
    http://merlindex.free.fr/wowadj/Mano...OWparMONSE.pdf

manoeuver and damage cards WWII :
    http://aeroplastic.free.fr/wingsofwar/

Picture of homemade stands for maneuver cards (with Ticket to Ride Asia wooden card holder, and with audio tape plastic box)
    http://wingsofwar.forum2jeux.com/t78...s-de-mouvement

Bombardment board with 2 seaters ("ligne droite" means straight line and "decrochage" means stall)
    http://i41.servimg.com/u/f41/16/61/82/79/tablea13.gif
    Difficult to explain this one : space between horizontal lines represents imaginary lenght card.
    You are not supposed to measure the distance between the bomber and the target center.
    You have to estimate the number of card (in their lenght) between the front of the 2 seaters stand and the target center and then you announce that you are going to start a bombardment : you put the next maneuver card (line/turn or stall) to move the plane, then this same maneuver card and then the bomb card (if altitude > 1, need to place the maneuver card for the bomb again).
    If the plane stand was located in the orange area, the target center will be masked by the bomb card. Success !!
    If you start bombardment before or after the orange area, only half of the target card may be masked.
    Hope it sounds clear. Better try it !

Quote Originally Posted by PilGrim View Post
    Sorry - no intention to make our US Cousins "targets" just seemed a bit unbalanced. It doesn't take much to realise that in many areas the French were real innovators and practitioners and that they sold their designs and armed the Entente. The Brits seemed to have provided France with the 1 1/2 strutter, but after that I cant think of anything else. The French provided the Brits (and everyone else) SPADS, N11s, N17, Farmans of every ilk, not to mention the Hanriots they sold to Belgium and Italy. The list goes on, but we dont seem to have that "on table".

I think this is "hobby" btw (apols if not) but even our Shapeways designers seem to think French is not popular (assuming popular = design) as C only has 4 French (inc variants) and K has 7, that's 11 out of maybe 60 designs (sorry - didnt do a full count). I'm not being critical, but it did make me ponder why?
    Ken, perhaps I was misunderstood, I only meant Americans as Targets of the market.. I took no offense at your remarks.. I agree with you I feel the Europeans muchly under used by the company's market strategy.. I also feel that those who were in it from the start should get the market share of the planes.. the US came into the war late.. they could have made US aircraft later in the game as far as I'm concerned

Thanks for sharing Simon!

I looked at this one earlier:
    Pictures and cards used for complex manoeuvers :
    http://merlindex.free.fr/spip/IMG/pd..._Complexes.pdf
    ...but I didn't quite get that shooting bonus - Do you get a +1 damage bonus for making those maneuvers?
    Or do others get a +1 damage bonus against you?

/Niclas

I've always thought this was an interesting discussion. The actual nationality of the minis has to be broken down in two ways. First by the air service it flew in and secondly, buy pilots that actually flew them.

By Air Service

Italy = 1
    France = 7
    USA = 4
    Canada = 0
    GB = 8
    Belgium = 2
    Australia = 3
    Russia = 1

For the average family gamer (which is a big target market for this game) Canada, Australia and GB are basically all the same, so the GB number should really read 11 for ID purposes.

By Pilots

Italy = 1
    France = 6
    USA = 6
    Canada = 5
    GB = 4
    Belgium = 2
    Australia = 3
    Russia = 1

For the two seaters, I only counted them once and the credit went to the pilots country only. Also of note, I only counted the prominent pilot when a plane was listed as flown by more then one person.

As you can see, the US (since everyone always points to them as the over inflated party in these discussions) is right in the middle of the pack for actual aircraft, and tied with France for number of pilots. In fact, France takes top honors in both lists! GB is hurt on pilots because they have to be split over so many different countries. The lack of Italian and Belgian planes and pilots I think is purely marketing. Keep in mind however that Nexus (and now Ares) has planned for the future. When the Hanriot HD.I shows up, I'm sure there will be at least 2 for Belgium add to both of the lists above. Also, the Caproni is going to add to the Italian lists. Keep those future planes in mind

I believe Nexus used the combo of pilots and planes to get a very broad coverage of all nations.

Quote Originally Posted by Niclas View Post

...but I didn't quite get that shooting bonus - Do you get a +1 damage bonus for making those maneuvers?
    Or do others get a +1 damage bonus against you?

/Niclas
    Here is the translation of the 3 explanations on the lower part of the board :
    - "gain/perte d'un jeton d'altitude" : the plane gets/looses a climb counter.
    - "bonus pour tir en piqué" : if you fire when you play this card, damage cards score one additional points.
    - "perte d'un niveau et tous les jetons d'altitude" : the usual dive rule -> Take away a peg from under the model for 1 level, and discard any climb counters that the plane has on its control panel.

So, about your question, you get a +1 damage bonus for firing when playing the card where the jammed guns counter is shown.
    Is it OK for you ?

Here is the translation of the 3 explanations on the lower part of the board :
    - "gain/perte d'un jeton d'altitude" : the plane gets/looses a climb counter.
    - "bonus pour tir en piqué" : if you fire when you play this card, damage cards score one additional points.
    - "perte d'un niveau et tous les jetons d'altitude" : the usual dive rule -> Take away a peg from under the model for 1 level, and discard any climb counters that the plane has on its control panel.

So, about your question, you get a +1 damage bonus for firing when playing the card where the jammed guns counter is shown.
    Is it OK for you ?
    Thank you, Simon!
    That did answer my question. I like the maneuver sheet a lot, card sequence + graphs a very explanatory concept - I think it will come in handy when playing with less experienced pilots.

/Niclas

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    I've always thought this was an interesting discussion. The actual nationality of the minis has to be broken down in two ways. First by the air service it flew in and secondly, buy pilots that actually flew them.

By Air Service

Italy = 1
    France = 7
    USA = 4
    Canada = 0
    GB = 8
    Belgium = 2
    Australia = 3
    Russia = 1

For the average family gamer (which is a big target market for this game) Canada, Australia and GB are basically all the same, so the GB number should really read 11 for ID purposes.

By Pilots

Italy = 1
    France = 6
    USA = 6
    Canada = 5
    GB = 4
    Belgium = 2
    Australia = 3
    Russia = 1

For the two seaters, I only counted them once and the credit went to the pilots country only. Also of note, I only counted the prominent pilot when a plane was listed as flown by more then one person.

As you can see, the US (since everyone always points to them as the over inflated party in these discussions) is right in the middle of the pack for actual aircraft, and tied with France for number of pilots. In fact, France takes top honors in both lists! GB is hurt on pilots because they have to be split over so many different countries. The lack of Italian and Belgian planes and pilots I think is purely marketing. Keep in mind however that Nexus (and now Ares) has planned for the future. When the Hanriot HD.I shows up, I'm sure there will be at least 2 for Belgium add to both of the lists above. Also, the Caproni is going to add to the Italian lists. Keep those future planes in mind

I believe Nexus used the combo of pilots and planes to get a very broad coverage of all nations.
    That has come as a bit of a suprise Kieth. I guess that's one urban myth out of the window then.
    Rob.

Thank you Rob for those interesting files.
    Thank you in return for these Simon. Noted for future reference when inducting new pilots.
    Rob.

All i can say, is that French players won't be 100% happy till we get our Guynemer Spad 13 miniature....

and some Hanriots too (even if not really famous with French Pilots)

Thanks to F-toys and their Spad VII's I own 9 of them. The Spad VII is probaly the most important aircraft not made by WOW. The French aircraft industry was the best in the world during WW1. I would love to communicate more with French players. John

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    That has come as a bit of a suprise Kieth. I guess that's one urban myth out of the window then.
    Rob.
    If you make the outrageous assumption that people only really care about the single-seaters, then France plummets to... 3 pilots, I believe? One of them in a Balloon Busters set, which many thought was too expensive. If you're so inclined, you can look at it as 2 of the 30 individually released scouts are French, which would seem a bit of an underrepresentation.

Quote Originally Posted by john snelling View Post
    The French aircraft industry was the best in the world during WW1. I would love to communicate more with French players. John
    Best? I think so. The best engines, indubitably. Certainly the largest, providing much of the strength of the RFC for the first half of the war, and virtually all of the Russian and Italian, plus the AEF. In the air, the Entente flying strength was French-built or designed, with British aircraft only really approaching French numbers in late 17.

We know of the Felixstowe F2a's - but what about the French flying boats?

I collect british aircraft, of the RNAS and sometimes the RFC, That means such fine british aircraft as the Caudron G.4 and Farman F.40 for the RNAS, and the Morane N, Morane L, and Nieuport 17 for the RFC. The all-british Sopwiths have such fine british engines as the Clerget 150hp and Gnome Monosoupape 110 hp.

Quote Originally Posted by dans le mille View Post
    All i can say, is that French players won't be 100% happy till we get our Guynemer Spad 13 miniature....
    Totally agree with that! But I think I could be happy with his SPAD VII if they ever get around to doing one of those (but I already have the FToys version to cover it).

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudotheist View Post
    If you make the outrageous assumption that people only really care about the single-seaters, then France plummets to... 3 pilots, I believe? One of them in a Balloon Busters set, which many thought was too expensive. If you're so inclined, you can look at it as 2 of the 30 individually released scouts are French, which would seem a bit of an underrepresentation.
    Well, if you only look at half of something, you can't really complain about what you left out can you?

By Air Service

Italy = 1
    France = 7
    USA = 4
    Canada = 0
    GB = 8
    Belgium = 2
    Australia = 3
    Russia = 1

By Pilots

Italy = 1
    France = 6
    USA = 6
    Canada = 5
    GB = 4
    Belgium = 2
    Australia = 3
    Russia = 1

Thanks for this mon Colonel - puts it all nicely into perspective, now we can all be friends & go for some tiffin

"He is wise who watches"

Well, if you only look at half of something, you can't really complain about what you left out can you?
    Sure, sure... It's disingenuous to ignore the two-seaters, but perfectly reasonable to dismiss the 20 or so German pilots from the nationality count.
    All I'm saying is people tend to see what they're looking at, and they usually only bother to look at what they care about.

There are lies, damned lies, and statistics!

I would suggest the French figure is inflated (pardon the pun) by the inclusion of the two Balloon Busters. Taking them out of the equation leaves a Spad, 2 N17s (one flown by an American) and 2 Br14s.

I still think there is an imbalance here

By Air Service

Italy = 1
    France = 7
    USA = 4
    Canada = 0
    GB = 8
    Belgium = 2
    Australia = 3
    Russia = 1

By Pilots

Italy = 1
    France = 6
    USA = 6
    Canada = 5
    GB = 4
    Belgium = 2
    Australia = 3
    Russia = 1

Hold on, there are 2 Spad XIIIs, 1 SE5a, 1 Br14, 1 Dh4. That's 5 USA planes by service. Granted I assume we would all like to ignore the Se5A. Given the French war effort in the air outstripped the US by a very wide margin, it does seem rather unfair.

On the other hand you can really only say that given the choice of models the only one you could grumble much about would be one of the Spads which should should probably have been French rather than US, as they did get the majority of the options when a model was released that was mainly French, and the Se5a which seems totally out of place

I would also argue that Canada \ GB \ Australia ARE the same nationality from a historical point of view, all being British Commonwealth \ Empire, which is probably how they would have thought of themselves in at the time.

OK - maybe the better question should be, how many of each nationality do you have in your collection and what does this represent as a % of the whole?

The main problem was NG's refusal to issue new subsequent schemes on their models. If instead of keeping the same 3 original SPAD schemes in production for several years, they would have issued new a new paintscheme series after a year or so of availabilty, we could have been looking at 9 different SPADs, which I think we would have everyone very satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by john snelling View Post
    Thanks to F-toys and their Spad VII's I own 9 of them. The Spad VII is probaly the most important aircraft not made by WOW. The French aircraft industry was the best in the world during WW1. I would love to communicate more with French players. John
    Keith,John, you are right Guynemer Spad VII would be also great.
    Do you have some pictures of your F-toys available somewhere ?

thanks
    Stéphane

Stéphane, I do not have any photos that I have taken of it, but is are lots of Google Images of F Toys' Guynemer Spad VII.

They have been long out of production, but you can still find them on eBay for a reasonable price. The fit of the parts is not great up close, but they look wonderful on the table. Well worth getting all 6 of them (3x SPAD VII and 3x Albatros D.III).

Skid

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Ken, I suspect that you're partly right with the FFG connection - but we Brits moan about under representation too ! We may have the aircraft but many pilots represented are Commonwealth, however, you have to remember this was their first shot at the game & they had a lot of bases to cover. Besides if we weren't repainting & making 'unofficial' minis what would we have done in between releases !!
    I think it may have been the research material used. I am not sure how deep the people of Fantasy Flight Games got into the research side, but if you do a general google search on WWI aces, you will find those 1st mentioned in various lists are the ones that had a model produced.

Quote Originally Posted by Skid View Post
    I think it may have been the research material used. I am not sure how deep the people of Fantasy Flight Games got into the research side, but if you do a general google search on WWI aces, you will find those 1st mentioned in various lists are the ones that had a model produced.
    So, Fantasy Flight didn't have anything to do with the research; they were just the U.S. distribution channel for Nexus. But also, a Google search for WWI aces will turn up the most popular aces, which are exactly the ones that will be in greatest demand, so in that respect it's just evidence they went in the right direction.

Skid

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudotheist View Post
    So, Fantasy Flight didn't have anything to do with the research; they were just the U.S. distribution channel for Nexus.
    Ah I never realized that, I always thought one was a subsidary of the other.

Thanks!

thanks
    Stéphane
    I know this sounds bad but, I do not own a camera. I'm always spending my money on planes and miniatures. I really stocked up on them to trade in the future. I own 20 of them but only one of each of the rares.

Bonjour Stephan.

The three F-toys Spad's and the most common two Albatros's are mixed in with the rest below:

Thanks Zoe

Nice collection ! Congrats !

Stéphane

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast