Ares Games

Thread: WoW/G Balloons

Default WoW/G Balloons

Just picked up two balloons on ebay for $130, new unopened. How do people find them to play with, any tips.

I am hoping to have them in my possession before the weekend.

First off, you're in for a splendid experience. I just bought a 3rd one myself. Generally you're going to plan a scenario around their use.

A few popular ideas:

* Protect the balloon - Use 1 balloon about 8" from the back edge of the table and centered at one long end. Then either go with multiple AA guns surrounding it and a single defending plane, or use multiple planes and only 1 AA gun right next to it. I've not played this kind of scenario where the balloon can be reeled in though the rulebook has rules for that and it definitely adds some urgency to getting those hits. The thing you'll want to play with a bit is scenario balance if you're going to allow incendiary rounds or rockets. You'll just want to ramp up the defense if you do that.

* Runaway Balloon - I believe that there's a file at: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...do=file&id=782 you may want to check out for this one. Essentially a balloon loses its moorings and drifts away. Good stuff!

* Artillery Observation - Each side gets one balloon. This is the Wings of War equivalent of Capture the Flag with balloons. The premise is that the balloons can bring down artillery on enemy trenches while they're still in the air. So the first side to lose their balloon loses because they can no longer effectively suppress the enemy infantry. This is made more complete by having 2 larger teams of flyers and plenty of ground AA & AAMGs. It can get a little complicated, when everything is in full swing, but honestly, it's probably one of the better dogfighting experiences out there. To add another element of fun to the game limit pilot communication to just hand signals because this one requires teamwork to succeed and hand signals can really help support the confusion.

Cheers Sparky

I have 5 balloons (yup addict - 3 AIM , 2 WOW). I quite like the booby trap scenario myself. Keeps them pilots on their toes.

I don't have the manuals in front of me. Is the "Booby Trap" one of the scenarios from the manual? If not, could someone please post a link to the "Booby Trap" scenario?

I believe the rules for it is in the Burning Drachens manual.

Check out the files section here Chad - Balloon Busters & Burning Drachen rules to download

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Glad to be back! I'm in one of those lulls when I can actually have some gaming fun! Thanks for keeping the torch burning here and I'm incredibly impressed at the membership numbers and active participation.

Thumbs up

Balloons really do add an extra dimention to the game & you can build many scenarios around them.

Yes looking forward to a few games with them.
    Thanks fellas.

Balloons Chad! Bring em on. I can't get enough of them. I think I've gone Balloon mad.
    Rob.

Name:  balloon2.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  79.5 KB
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

That looks awesome. I cannot wait to get my balloons to the table again after participating in this thread. They add a great look and a lot of nuance to the game. This is particularly true if it's attack/defend with hand signals only.

Thanks Keith, and did you notice that I hadn't even had to use any of my rockets on the gasbag. That will teach them not to mix it with our French Allies.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."