Ares Games
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: "Series 5" Update!

If there is a delay in Ares' answer, please consider that they are closed for holydays until next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    If there is a delay in Ares' answer, please consider that they are closed for holydays until next week.
    Well, Andrea, they've been closed for the holidays for quite awhile because they have yet to answer my e-mail from last week. Maybe they took the month of August off?

Jim

Thanks Andrea.
    I'm not in any real puther about it, as I can use one of the Oberst's bases if I need to.
    Rob.

Jim, they have been on "skeleton" crew for a short while now. A lot of the staff were away at GenCon or off site supporting it last week and as Andrea said, they are closed this week. I expect them to start catching up on thing next week.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!! Ahem, sorry, needed to get that out of my system.... Just had the "Monday's new releases" email from the UK distributor. And it has the WWI rules and accessories pack on it. But still not the Series 5 miniatures that were released 2 or 3 weeks before that was. If anyone wants me, I'll be whimpering in a corner....
    Last edited by Dom S; 08-31-2012 at 08:20.

You getting the accessories packs? If so, stash one away for me.

Carry on whimpering Skelton!

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!! If anyone wants me, I'll be whimpering in a corner....
    Just make sure you've printed those decals Dom before you go into your corner!

I'm very happy. I just got a mail from my store that the miniatures are ready for shipping! 2 of each single-seater model and a nice gotha bomber are on their way - oh and I added also a happy balloon too! (they have a few leftover from WoW) XD

Went to Partizan today (UK Wargames show) and noticed that Caliver had Series 5 in stock. Decided to buy a Halberstadt and two DH 2's. The cost was GBP 12.50 each, but I was able to choose which versions I wanted. I realise that I paid a premium price for these but at least I was able to get my hands on them. It will be interesting to see how long it is before this series becomes available to other UK retailers via the UK distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by sniperscout View Post
    It will be interesting to see how long it is before this series becomes available to other UK retailers via the UK distributor.
    It already is interesting. It's nearly a month now since they became available in the U.S. Just how long are other countries supposed to wait? I hate to say this (for the sake of UK retailers and the likelihood of attracting new players to the game in the U.K. - as Dom S has already pointed out elsewhere), but with every passing day my decision to buy from the U.S., and to probably keep buying from there in the future, seems to have been the right one for me. To my mind Ares really need to examine their release strategy - always assuming that they have one.

Luckily I am not desperate to lay my hands on series 5 so I will wait and see what UK prices are before I buy.
    It's a great shame for UK retailers to have to wait and lose trade to the US because of these poor release dates.

Series 5 are now available in Brisbane Australia from the Emperor's Legions in Annerley. Eindeckers are already sold out, one Halberstadt left, two DH2's and plenty of Moranes. Selling for AUD 18 each. Guess where the proprietor sourced them? 12-7 Games!

Series 5 have been announced to be available in the Czech Republic on 11th September, together with the Rules and Accessories pack.

One german online-shop had the Series 5 planes but only one of each and several are already sold out

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
    One german online-shop had the Series 5 planes but only one of each and several are already sold out
    I see a pattern here, retailers initially buying small quantities of the product to test demand.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Not necessarily - I suspect the pattern is more "buying small quantities (because they're buying from US retailers, so paying more than they will when they're available from domestic wholesalers) to sell at somewhat marked-up prices, and at least partially satisfy the more impatient demand." Limited quantities are probably not about testing demand, but rather about avoiding ending up with a pile of stock bought at higher than usual prices, when they become available through normal channels, and the general market price drops from "somewhat inflated" to "rrp" or "discounted a bit"....

So Dom - how much for the rules package?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

£24.99 rrp, but I've not ordered them - will probably get a couple of sets when Series 5 shows up, but it's not really worth putting in an order for them on their own.
    Last edited by Dom S; 09-04-2012 at 07:34.

Thanks to my deal with Evan, AKA Xen, the whole series 5 is on the way to my place

I received my series 5 minis yesterday (2 of each, so 8 planes in total). Together with a Gotha and a Balloon Buster set.

My overall impression with the series 5 is very positively. Good assembling-quality and a nice level of detail.
    Hawkers D.H. 2 had a loose landing gear, which i could fix with a few drips of glue - otherwise a lovely model with fine details! Initially I had my doubts about the stability of the D.H.2's tail construction but my concerns weren't confirmed at all.
    The Morane is indeed a very small machine. I think remarks about its lack of detail is simply due to its size. Especially compared to the "big bird" Fokker E.III which simply has the edge here.
    The Halberstadt D.III however did really surprise me. Such clear lines and an amazing level of detail on the engine. Its a really beautiful bird and - with its classical biplane-tractor-configuration its looking more "serious" than the whimsical D.H.2.

The Gotha on the other hand has slightly warped wings and 2 struts were broken. The Broken struts were something I could fix pretty easily - but its still annoying. Especially for the rather high pricing. Apart from this, the level of detail is very convincing. I just miss the crew! But I doubt that I will buy another bomber. The price-value seems simply much better for single-seater.

The Balloon-Buster set however is a lovely addition to the usual minis. The Balloon itself is looking simply flawless, but the real gem is the Nieuport 16 with its rockets and its hightly detailled machine-gun mount on the top if its upper wing - its one of the finest looking models WOW/WGF has to offer!

All in all my resume is very positive. Great looking little machines! The only real disappointment was the Gotha.

interesting thoughts.
    I find the bombers excellent value for money myself, simply due to the added game play options. Its not a lot more money to introduce a new line of scenarios. The Balloons are at least 3 times the price too!

Quote Originally Posted by Xen View Post
    I find the bombers excellent value for money myself, simply due to the added game play options.
    Well I did concentrate on the level of detail and the assembling-quality, not game-scenario options (which should be clear in my post) and there the Gotha didnt really excite me.

I have said many time I am just glad to have the planes. The models to me are very good mostly because I don't have to paint and put them together. Can't wait for the next series or the Series 1 repiants.

Update for the Brits, Boardgameguru are expecting stock in on the 18th Sept. Only selling them as complete 12 aircraft sets for £101.64 plus p&p.

£8.50 a plane plus postage seems pretty reasonable. It would be nice to think that sales of individual planes will settle down to this kind of level in the UK rather than the £12 that they seem to be just now

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Deleted as I'm tired of sounding like a nay-sayer. It really *is* time I went....

Oh go on Dom, we don't mind. A voice of realism is always welcome here.

Oh go on Dom, we don't mind. A voice of realism is always welcome here.

My local games shop owner told me that he will be receiving the series 5 models next week but he did not know how much they would cost.

I have noticed that Games Lore (UK store) is showing series 5 as being available from this week.

Funny about that they have been available in Australia since last week but only at one major store that I know of, is this the WoG at the LGS?

My order arrived yesterday via the good offices of Dom - cheers m8!

My fix from Dom arrived today!

Wife's wondering where I'm planning to put them all (I've run out of shelf space in the library)...

/Niclas

Quote Originally Posted by Niclas View Post
    My fix from Dom arrived today!

Wife's wondering where I'm planning to put them all (I've run out of shelf space in the library)...

/Niclas
    I just looked at Dom's site and can't find anything in WoG except the Bombers. Where is he hiding them?
    Rob.

I haven't been on the site as often as I used to because I find this What's New a real pain compared to how it used to be. Anyhoo, am I right in deducing that here in the UK we still cannot 'easily' buy the new rules update or Series 5?

Quote Originally Posted by Belis4rius View Post
    I haven't been on the site as often as I used to because I find this What's New a real pain compared to how it used to be. Anyhoo, am I right in deducing that here in the UK we still cannot 'easily' buy the new rules update or Series 5?
    Orc's Nest have got it in George.

Also Patriot Games.

http://www.orcsnest.com/blurber.asp?Title=WW1 Rules and Accessories Pack

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Belis4rius View Post
    Click on What's New and then Today's Post that shows up on the new page (upper left) that will get you what you used to see under the old software version.

Sorry, was this the thread where somebody told that his local shop had problems with the new planes being sold in packages of 9 from the distributor? Maybe 12-7?
    Anyway I wanted to let him know:
    - this is not the rule, for example the Italian distributor allows shops to choose between single planes and packages of 9, so ther US distributors couņld behave differently too;
    - each package features 3 different color schemes of the same plane (for example 3 German, 3 Austrian and 3 Turkish Fokker E.III), so with a pack a shop gets what is aimed to three good customers, not nine (repainters apart).

Mr. Kyte, thanks for the info, but it is too late, I have now moved my smart money into Dux Britanniarum, so it will be some time before I get the new kites.

At Col. thanks for that, much better, I should experiment more.

Boardgameguru, you have to buy all 12, now that really is extracting the *&^%!

I have just done a search and found them between £10 and £12, there is no way I am paying that, and I am not a miser simply because I am Scottish, I just bought 40 figures to use 25 because I wanted the best and a choice, but these prices are daylight robbery. Bah humbug!
    Last edited by Belis4rius; 09-25-2012 at 08:27.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    £8.50 a plane plus postage seems pretty reasonable. It would be nice to think that sales of individual planes will settle down to this kind of level in the UK rather than the £12 that they seem to be just now
    £8.50 is about where I feel comfortable. £12 and it'll be rather fewer purchases. I want to buy to repaint. If I'm buying a lying of say 4 or 5 planes of one type that soon adds up.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    £8.50 is about where I feel comfortable. £12 and it'll be rather fewer purchases. I want to buy to repaint. If I'm buying a flight of say 4 or 5 planes of one type that soon adds up.

I took my new series 5 miniatures to my local wargames club to try them out last night. We had a 3 DH2's v 3 Halberstadts fight using basic rules because the members were not used to them. After two hours of maneouvering no-one had been shot down and then poor Lanoe Hawker drew the explosion card. The Fortunes of War. The Germans had drawn far more cards from the damage deck. Only having one machine gun makes it more difficult to shoot a plane down.
    Sadly, there were only two other members present last night but I think they enjoyed it, except the one flying Lanoe Hawker was a bit miffed at being blown up.
    Here are a couple of pictures.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG0013A (2).jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	61224Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG0014A.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	61225

Got my set from Dom on Tuesday

Sorry, was this the thread where somebody told that his local shop had problems with the new planes being sold in packages of 9 from the distributor? Maybe 12-7?
    Anyway I wanted to let him know:
    - this is not the rule, for example the Italian distributor allows shops to choose between single planes and packages of 9, so ther US distributors couņld behave differently too;
    - each package features 3 different color schemes of the same plane (for example 3 German, 3 Austrian and 3 Turkish Fokker E.III), so with a pack a shop gets what is aimed to three good customers, not nine (repainters apart).
    It may have been on this thread or another (I commented on it a few places).
    This is a policy that Alliance Distributers has; they are selling the new series (not bombers) as display sets of 9 of the same type; i.e 3 units of each of the 3 SPADS. Unfortunately, my LFGS deals with Alliance exclusively (at least for games). So in this case, while I like to support him, I'll go elsewhere. I realize that this is not a policy from Ares, but Alliance's policy.
    Karl

Ok thanks, good to know. I think that there are 3 main distributors in USA: what I meant is that the shop owner could go elsewhere, but of course if that shop just stick to Alliance that's it. If he does not want to bother telling them that others do differently (if they do), hoping it helps Alliance to change their policy.

The other thing I hoped it was clear is that the 9 pieces have 3 different color schemes (I guess they knew, but you can never bne sure).

Previous Nexus/NG policy was to have miniatures available singly or in packs of 24: 4 models x 3 color schemes each x 2 item of each scheme. Future policy could be to release one or two sets at each time, so actually 9/18 liniatures will have to be ordered instead than 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Got my set from Dom on Tuesday
    How, what, where, why

I cant find them on his website.

How much are they.

Don

Not on his site yet. Need to check, but a figure of £101 seems to ring a bell.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    This is a policy that Alliance Distributers has; they are selling the new series (not bombers) as display sets of 9 of the same type; i.e 3 units of each of the 3 SPADS. Unfortunately, my LFGS deals with Alliance exclusively (at least for games). So in this case, while I like to support him, I'll go elsewhere. I realize that this is not a policy from Ares, but Alliance's policy.
    Karl
    Sounds to me like someone needs to set up a competing dealer....

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Karl
    Sounds to me like someone needs to set up a competing distributor....

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast