Ares Games

Thread: If I were Ares...

Default If I were Ares...

If I were Ares & had just taken over "Wings of War", I reckon I would not just be changing the name & announcing new models at some indefined future point (maybe early 2012, maybe not) when I moulds just apparently sitting around doing nothing.

Surely when there is such an obvious demand for the Fokker DRi, Dvii Albatros etc why not continue production in the current liveries? Is it really a no-brainer or is that just me?

Well I think one aspect may be they may not own the rights to the old name nor have ownership of old designs. It depends on the contract they agreed to and cost may have played a factor in this.

Re-branding is probably an attempt to refresh the product in the marketplace. Agreed having moulds not doing much is frustrating for us. My only wish is that we see Ares getting the products rolling out in a semi regular basis.Fingers crossed

I would wager that it is not a case of Ares wanting to "sit on moulds", but rather have run into a case (or many cases) of unexpected production delays.

I also play "Battletech". Last winter, Catalyst Games Labs (the current Battletech publisher) released the 25th anniversary box set. It sold out at the wholesale level in something ridiculous like a week. Recognizing a moneymaker, Catalyst immediately went to order more from the suppliers they had just dealt with. Even though they had just dealt with their chinese suppliers, they ran into the inevitable "production delays". To me, I can imagine that situation to be similar to what Andrea must be going through. He (through Nexus) has dealt with suppliers and run into delays before. Bur, a reorder should be simple for him (through Ares), right?

You would think so. Read what happened with Catalyst and Battletech here. (The 4th message down the page, written by the Catalyst employee with the forum name "Precentor Martial". I don't think it's a stretch to say any number of similar snafus happened with "Wings".

part of my frustration that sparked the initial comment comes from having superglued my fingers together a good many times this week in building 1/144 kits. I think that superglue is now part of my DNA makeup.

Guys, it's not a case of Ares sitting on the molds doing nothing. They do in fact own the old Nexus molds. I can tell you that for the old Series 1 planes, they are actually re-tooling the molds to correct mistakes in the models. So, they are upgrading things to give us better and more accurate minis to play with. I've not had this confirmed, but I think they will also be doing away with the Series 2-4 molds that had all four plane types in one mold (each plane was a separate cavity). That will allow them to re-print the planes that are in high demand and not have to stockpile all those two-seaters.

Thats Great news oberst , realy want the couple of series 1's I am missing with out having to sell the car to get them.

Which ones are you missing? Not all of the original paint schemes are going to be re-printed... at least not in this first batch.

Remember they have just started a new company with all the set up costs that involves. They needed to pay for the rights to the products (IP and moulds and artwork etc), the company set up, the web site, engage new production companies for which they have no track record of payment so might have to pay up front for any manufacturing, advertising, wages, rent etc etc etc etc..it never ends I tell you.

By then what they probably really need is to get in money, quickly and a lot...and I wouldn't want to burst anyone's bubble but the market for Lord of the Rings is far bigger than WOG. So selling the product that is going to sell big and fast to re-capitalise the company from set up costs is number one priority, and by all accounts I'm reading they have achieved this with stuff sold out all over the place. Then they can proceed to release things that are easy (presumably the WW2 models which were ready to go before Nexus closed), reprint LOTR as the sales demand is still there, then the WW1 models.

I'm sure they would love to have everything out now but they are running a business that has to have cash flow and has to expand at a sustainable rate. As you all know the gaming world is littered with companies that exploded onto the market, grew huge then imploded just as quickly.

Like you I'm keen to see the new WOG and SOG releases (that could be a long time) but understand the economic realities. In the meantime I'll curse over having to paint models and the production issues of S....ys.

Quote Originally Posted by berthier View Post
    Remember they have just started a new company with all the set up costs that involves. They needed to pay for the rights to the products (IP and moulds and artwork etc), the company set up, the web site, engage new production companies for which they have no track record of payment so might have to pay up front for any manufacturing, advertising, wages, rent etc etc etc etc..it never ends I tell you.

By then what they probably really need is to get in money, quickly and a lot...and I wouldn't want to burst anyone's bubble but the market for Lord of the Rings is far bigger than WOG. So selling the product that is going to sell big and fast to re-capitalise the company from set up costs is number one priority, and by all accounts I'm reading they have achieved this with stuff sold out all over the place. Then they can proceed to release things that are easy (presumably the WW2 models which were ready to go before Nexus closed), reprint LOTR as the sales demand is still there, then the WW1 models.

I'm sure they would love to have everything out now but they are running a business that has to have cash flow and has to expand at a sustainable rate. As you all know the gaming world is littered with companies that exploded onto the market, grew huge then imploded just as quickly.

Like you I'm keen to see the new WOG and SOG releases (that could be a long time) but understand the economic realities. In the meantime I'll curse over having to paint models and the production issues of S....ys.
    there is always someone with a perfectly reasonable answer to burst my complaints bubble...