Ares Games

View Poll Results: What is the MAIN reason YOU play WoG?

Voters
262. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am an aviation history buff.

89 33.97%
  • I like it's simulation aspect.

59 22.52%
  • I like it's socializing effect (whatever it means).

37 14.12%
  • It's just another brain burner.

2 0.76%
  • I am a model maker and the game suits my interest.

21 8.02%
  • Other.

54 20.61%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is the MAIN reason YOU play WoG?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    But the main reason is that as an adult I have an excuse to move little painted miniatures across the table and yell "thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, got'cha!"

Army men for grownups. Well... older at least.
    Brilliant response!

A fun game I break out with family members and friends. We always have a great experience and there is never of issue of having someone sit out, because as long as we planes available anyone can join in. The added bonus is that I have developed an interest on WWI aircraft, that has me reading books on the subject and watching documentaries. So beyond the social enjoyment of the game, I'm learning from it as well!

Quote Originally Posted by tpierce66 View Post
    A fun game I break out with family members and friends. We always have a great experience and there is never of issue of having someone sit out, because as long as we planes available anyone can join in. The added bonus is that I have developed an interest on WWI aircraft, that has me reading books on the subject and watching documentaries. So beyond the social enjoyment of the game, I'm learning from it as well!
    Tom,
    Welcome to the 'drome!
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by tpierce66 View Post
    As good a reason as any I can think of . Welcome to the world of WoW Tom

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

All of the above and more Andy.

To sum up, my gaming buddies tolerating me bringing it out, they don't have to wait till I get something painted, we have a good time, it looks nice on the table, we get to wrap our brains around the game and not the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco Lucchini View Post
    ... we get to wrap our brains around the game and not the rules.
    Definitely what got me back into gaming I think.

It brings the history alive and encourages you to delve into the subject but after all that -Its great fun

It takes me back to boyhood memories of me and three brothers building model aeroplanes. The frustrating part was then just looking at them after they were finished. Now I can buy model aeroplanes and pit them in combat against each other. Plus these days I don't have the time to build model aircraft.

It's a fun game that I enjoy playing with my best mate and my daughter.

I went with "I like the simulation aspect" because I read all kinds of military history and wouldn't characterize myself as an "aviation history buff". One thing not mentioned in the poll that I love about the game is its visual appeal -- it is just flat out a beautiful game to play.

I like airplane history.

My parents consider me a "aviation history buff"

Users Country Flag

Name
    Derrick
    Sorties Flown

Marked other: programmed movement is my fav board game mechanic and WGF is the best for this.

WGF is the most beautiful in its simplicity. 3 cards down. Execute. Rinse repeat. No other game is as much about the movement above all else imo.

Through WGF, I learn history, but it was not the reason I came to the game.

OF COURSE the main reason I play WoG is really obvious....its because of the groupies....here are some photos outside the Doncaster event as Flying Officer Kyte, Hedeby, Flying Helmut, and Naharat were entering to play:

Beatles-Groupies 2.jpg

Beatles-Groupies-43.jpg

quod erat demonstrandum
    Last edited by NewFlyBoy; 06-11-2020 at 05:34.

Lol that’s brilliant...

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

I wish!
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123