Ares Games

Thread: Litco stands

Default Litco stands

I found the Litko stands and want to order some however the only picture on the site is not very clear...Are the arrow heads in the front of the stand or the rear, and are they the same size as the plane cards?

I don't have any of the Litko stands myself mind you, but from what I've read about them from the FFG site and on BGG, the bases do have the arrowhead and leading edge mark, as well as the cone of fire for the MGs.

The flight altitude pegs are somehow different to my understanding. On the Litko website, they make mention of Wings of War flight peg adaptors for the planes. If I remember right, this is a special adaptor that allows the post on the underside of the WoW planes to fit into the Litko altitude pegs.

I've read several comments from people who have them, and they all seem to like them. For me, the important thing was to realize before hand that the Litko altitude pegs are not compatable with the WoW ones. Other than that, they look pretty good.

Kaufschtick summed it up well. Quoted from their site...

Each peg topper measures 15mm long by 9mm wide and includes two circular cutouts. The large cutout is designed to fit snugly over the standard Litko 1/8inch flight peg like our stock peg toppers. The smaller hole is sized for use with the WoW aircraft miniatures. These adapters allow you to use your WoW aircraft miniatures with any of Litko's flight stand bases and accessories which use the 1/8inch flight peg.

I've looked at these several times and never broken down and bought any. I think I am going to change that tonight!

I went with Litko stands for my WWII minis. Love them...they are the same size as the cards. To me they are more sturdy than the WoW stands as not as many pegs to come apart. If not using altitude they are even better as they hold togehter.

You can see some pics of them in the pics I posted in the hobby section.

Highly recomend!

thankyou! know I can order some so we can use some of the planes we have no mini's for. We have used a mix of cards and mini's and it just does'nt quite cut it.

I order some last night. When they come in I'll do a review on them. I also picked up some of the round altitude counters to go with them. My local group has been looking for a way to add altitude to our games in a very simple method. These look like they might give us that option.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    I order some last night. When they come in I'll do a review on them. I also picked up some of the round altitude counters to go with them. My local group has been looking for a way to add altitude to our games in a very simple method. These look like they might give us that option.
    For altitude they also make a die holder that attaches to the base of the stand. I have some, but have not used them playing yet. Seem like a good solution and eliminates the need to change pegs.

I looked at the dice holders, but wanted some thing a little different/nicer and went with these instead...

With these, you never have to switch out pegs as you track altitude with the dial.

My group have been talking about simplifying the altitude rules down to altitude bans, so 6 counters should be enough.

You could also use these for keeping track of limited ammo, something we have done to represent planes returning from the front. Did you notice the altitude marker that looks like a small set of steps with a cloud shaped indicator that clips on?

I did see their altitude markers... they just looked a little more difficult to tell which altitude someone was at with just a glance.

We also use limited ammo, but we do that by having everyone draw 10 damage cards at the start of the game. Once they are gone, you are out of ammo and better head for home!

I tried to get our group to do that but they felt that it pre-deturmined everyone's damage. I explained the random draw for a 2 card shot and they still didn't buy it, so when we use the rule we just use some of those clear red bingo chips and pay for each shot.

Lol, that's kind of funny. It's randomly pre-determined just as drawing a single card from the "community" deck. lol Speaking of a community deck, we also use one of those to pull the 2nd card from shooting at close range.

We use the litko altitude disks as pictured in the post above. We also use litko altitude pegs, with the peg toppers. In our Balloon busting missions we have a Skytrex type Ae800 balloon as the target, and having it atop one of litko's 6" flight stands requires the aircraft to also be at a greater height than is easily obtained with the small flight pegs which come with the miniatures.

This image is from a previous balloon busting mission. The Balloon is on a Litko flight peg mounted out of a a custom made litko base.

This image shows a Litko airburst marker. We use it to mark the Anti-Air Artillery burst.

Last edited by usmc1855; 08-29-2009 at 19:38.

Cool stuff Brian! I really like the gaming surface you guys are playing on. You should start a thread on that!

I looked at the flak burst markers, but opted not to get them. They seemed like they would be in the way more then any thing. I've found I prefer 2D terrain and such for this game as it is easier to more the planes around it and such.

We use the airburst marker on a 4" stand with our planes on a 6" stand, and with the markers only being in play for one maneuver turn, they aren't on the board long enough to have proven an obstacle for any of our games.

I really like to see the pictures of some groups using those huge stacks of alt. pegs.
    You guys must all be surgens and can handle delecate items. The people I play with would shere the pins off of half of those pegs in the first turn! I have done several pin-ectomies at our League nights to get the busted part out of the base.

Really though the pictures are impressive I love the balloon WAY UP THERE!!!!

Lol, that's kind of funny. It's randomly pre-determined just as drawing a single card from the "community" deck. lol Speaking of a community deck, we also use one of those to pull the 2nd card from shooting at close range.
    Yeah I get a chuckle out of it too, but they are gamers...What can you do?

In the picture above, those long stacks of short pegs are all super glued together. We now use the 4" 0r 6" pegs from Litko along with their peg toppers. For using the Litko pegs, I super glued a peg topper to each base and snap another one on the peg on the bottom of the plane. Fortunatley, the peg toppers on the bases still allow for us to use either the Litko pegs or the original short pegs.

Just got the email that my stands shipped this morning. So, two business days from time of order to time of shipped... not to bad.

This looks awesome!
    I want to know where you got that mat and those small flak vehicles.

Seiseki, the mat info can be found here. The flak markers are made by Litko, the link is in one of my earlier posts in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Seiseki View Post
    This looks awesome!
    I want to know where you got that mat and those small flak vehicles.
    The Flak Vehicles are from Skytrex, and can be found on line here: http://www.skytrex.com/index.html?la...rget=d143.html

Another source for very nice WWII ground vehicles is Flames of War. The scale is a little off as they are 1/100 (15mm), but the quality and ease of availability are super nice.

Cool!
    I really wish nexus would release some official flak minis as well as small machine-gun emplacements, because playing and making campaigns is awesome, and even more awesome when it's played with models.

Another source for very nice WWII ground vehicles is Flames of War. The scale is a little off as they are 1/100 (15mm), but the quality and ease of availability are super nice.
    You may consider Axis & Allies Miniatures for WW2 vehicles, artillery and infantry. They are 15 mm, durable prepainted plastic and cheaper than Flames of War - those are metal and you have to paint them.

See: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/aam/gallery

Just my 2 cents

Yes they are the same size and work great. The arcs are laser cut and can be highlighted with crayon. Do not hesitate ordering some!

Similar Missions

1. Review: Litko Flying Stands
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 05-05-2012, 13:09