Ares Games

Thread: Speed Markers while performing Split-S or Immelmann

loupiot

Default Speed Markers while performing Split-S or Immelmann

Hey there,

my girlfriend and me play "Wings of War 2" a lot at the moment.
    We've got the Deluxe Set and bought seven airplanes to add some variety.
    We are really enjoying the game and try to add more and more optional rules.

We just started to get in touch with altitudes. It's really cool with different heights and collisions and a third dimension but there is one problem that we can't get fixed.
    We searched everywhere but there was nothing.
    Are we the only ones with that problem?

The Problem is:

1.) What is the correct speed for the following three maneuvres: Climb, Dive, Split-S ?
    Every Rulebook and Online-Thread talks about the correct speeds BEFORE and AFTER
    these moves, but not about the correct speed for the card itsself.

I think, that an Immelmann is performed like this: Straight card with fast speed, Immelmann card with high speed, straight card with low speed

So a Split-S should be played like this: Stall card with low speed, Immelmann card with low speed
    ( although there is a blue mark on the card ? )
    , straight card with high speed.

That's how I would play them because it appears more logic to me.
    My girlfriend on the other side means, that the Immelmann card indicates, that it has to be played with a high speed, no matter if it's played as an Immelmann or Split-S.

Is the speed indicator an indication for the acceleration caused by the throttle stick, or an indication for the plane's actual speed, not regarding the throttle.

Do we play right by using a high speed for climbing and a low speed for diving?

Please help us. We have a paused game that waits to be finished. My two Messerschmitts could really get her Spitfire and her Hurricane this time ;-)

Greets from Germany and sorry for my english,

Loupiot

Moin Moin.

The Reversal card is high speed for a reason - either it's in an accelerating dive, rapidly gaining speed, or is trading off previously gathered speed for height, so while it is decelerating, it has to be pretty fast while it's happening.

Your girlfriend is correct - the card means what it says.

loupiot

Are you really sure? I mean, there is this strange sentence in the rulebook:

When an airplane executes a dive or a Split-S, and the Low Speed marker is faceup on its console, its speed increases.
    If the airplane has a Low Speed marker on its console, it is replaced with the High Speed Marker, no matter which speed marker has been planned.

When an airplane executes a climb or an Immelmann turn, its speed decreases.
    If the airplane has a High Speed marker on its console, it is replaced with the Low Speed Marker, no matter which speed marker has been planned.

I always thought, that this means, that a climb or an Immelmann turn have to be played with High Speed markers both, while you have to choose a Low Speed marker for a dive or Split-S.
    Otherwise these two sentences make no sense to me.

What do you think?
    And thanks for your quick answer Zoe Brian.

Bye,

Loupiot

Hi Franky and co! Zoe's correct...We always play the fast token for an Immelmann (or split S). We use the optional rule of 1 fast token, 1 slow token and 2 blanks and I believe the rule you are quoting is for the beginner rule when you have 2 of each fast and slow. In our games if you have not got the appropriate token, you cannot perform the maneuver.
    Hope this helps.
    ps. If you need extra cards or custom planes, see my albums.
    Max.

Hi Franky & Co.,
    Think of it this way, when you dive your plane is going to pick up speed so you would use a high speed token and when you climb you will have full throttle but your airspeed will decrease so use a low speed token.
    In the Immelmann you start out at high speed. So the straight is high speed then the Immelmann is high speed and at the end you've lost airspeed so you use the low speed token for the last straight.
    The Split-S you start out losing airspeed in a stall. So you use slow speed token on the stall. Then you gain airspeed and use a high speed token on the Immelmann and a high speed token on the straight.
    I hope this helps.

Thomas

loupiot

Hey, thanks for your answers Cappy Tom, Max Headroom and Zoe Brian. I think I got it now. Seems logic.....somehow ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    We use the optional rule of 1 fast token, 1 slow token and 2 blanks and I believe the rule you are quoting is for the beginner rule when you have 2 of each fast and slow.
    Max.
    No, Max, these sentences are under "Acceleration Rules" for heights.

Now I know how to play it for sure. Thanks again you all.
    See you in the skies,

Franky