Ares Games

Thread: Christmas Truce 1914

Default Christmas Truce 1914

Wishing all of you on both sides a Merry Christmas!

The Story of the Christmas Truce

Merry Christmas and that "truce" is an amazing part of History.

Merry Christmass, Paul!

Jure

Here is one I posted of the Christmas 1914 truce earlier.
    Rob.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Christmas_Truce_1914.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	29730
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I have often wondered if this was a God given opportunity for the war to finish but the men in charge Weren't listening.
    Makes you wonder.
    Linz

Quote Originally Posted by Linz View Post
    I have often wondered if this was a God given opportunity for the war to finish but the men in charge Weren't listening.
    Makes you wonder.
    Linz
    I don't wonder at all; They weren't in the trenches, after all. Besides, the emotions at home were too raised to consider ending it.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Karl you make a Good point.
    I just find it interesting that the truce started through Christmas Songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Linz View Post
    Karl you make a Good point.
    I just find it interesting that the truce started through Christmas Songs.
    Never underestimate the power of music.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I read a nice book about the Christmas 1914:

Michael Jürgs - Der KleineFrieden Im Grossen Krieg

Attachment 29750

Thi book was translated in italian as "La piccola pace nella Grande Guerra Fronte Occidentale 1914: un Natale senz'armi" but I'm sorry I don't find and english translation of if.

A good reveiew at:

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...329560402.html

I found also this nice link: http://thebluevoice.blogspot.com/201...e-of-1914.html
    Last edited by Attila57; 12-26-2011 at 03:09.

Nice link Attilio.
    I will look for the book.
    Rob.

Yes you are right Attilio.
    I had a look on Amazon and they have it, but not in English.
    Rob.

I found also a picture: Joyeux Noël

Look the trailer at: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0424205/ for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Yes you are right Attilio.
    I had a look on Amazon and they have it, but not in English.
    Rob.
    It's a really nice book I hope it will be translated in english because as wrriten in the review "The book, by German author Michael Jurgs, is the first to be written from a German perspective about the impromptu.... It includes extracts from a diary by a German lieutenant, Kurt Zehmisch. The diary was found four years ago in an attic near Leipzig. Zehmisch was a schoolteacher who spoke English and French. He describes how, on Christmas Eve, the shooting suddenly stopped. His Saxon regiment then blew a whistle. The English immediately whistled back"

There are at least two english books:

Malcolm Brown - Christmas Truce: The Western Front December 1914 (Pan Grand Strategy Series)

Stanley Weintraub - Silent Night: The Story of the World War I Christmas Truce

and also a DVD of History Channel: The Christmas Truce but

Thanks for the extra info Attilio. I'm onto it.
    Rob.

I was going to say there is a movie about the truce but I see it has been mentioned. However there was a show on the History Cahannel about the truce. Since I wasn't here for Xmas I wish all a safe, happy and joious New Year.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Attila57 View Post
    I found also a picture: Joyeux Noël

Look the trailer at: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0424205/ for example.
    Yes I have seen that one. Quite moving.

I love the story... Have been hearing about it from a new source in the audio lectures I down loaded from audible.com. We did not do a truce in our house on Christamas though..... We have been hamering the planes daily....including Christmas Day

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    I was going to say there is a movie about the truce but I see it has been mentioned. However there was a show on the History Cahannel about the truce. Since I wasn't here for Xmas I wish all a safe, happy and joious New Year.
    And the History Channel movie is The Christmas Truce. You can find it on Amazon, for example.

Today I bought the DVD "Joyex Noel". I hope to see the movie this weekend.

As reported on wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joyeux_No%C3%ABl):

"... It was screened out of competition at the 2005 Cannes Film Festival. The film was nominated for Best Foreign Language Film at the 78th Academy Awards...."

Quote Originally Posted by Attila57 View Post
    Today I bought the DVD "Joyex Noel". I hope to see the movie this weekend.

As reported on wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joyeux_No%C3%ABl):

"... It was screened out of competition at the 2005 Cannes Film Festival. The film was nominated for Best Foreign Language Film at the 78th Academy Awards...."
    I bought the movie last Christmas and I thought it was great. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. A somber movie though; but it makes you believe in the spirit of Christmas.