Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you play Computer Games?

Default Do you play Computer Games?

I have been intrigued by the other thread on the subject of which games we all play. I believe only one admits to playing a computer game. I have dabbled with computer wargaming for years and have never been satisfied despite my hopes.

But that kind of changed about three years ago, I really was addicted for a time but now play only for fun, so at the moment;

Dawn of War 2 (sci-fi)
    Company of Heroes (WWII company/platoon level)
    Rise of Flight (WWI Aerial, sadly not my cup of tea and almost done with it)
    WoW PBEM (not a real computer game but PC required)

Day of Defeat
    Day of Defeat Source
    Battlefield 2 (pretty good jet and helicopter pilot!)

I am playing arcade Wings of Honour - Red Baron now. Just for fun, becouse there are just about 10 planes and 22 short missions. But it is pretty good for short breaks in my learning for exams at university
    From other wargames, I like Commandos serie and Korea, Forgotten Conflict.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Steve
    Sorties Flown

Does minesweeper count?

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierSteve View Post
    Does minesweeper count?
    Only on expert level

Users Country Flag

Name
    Steve
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    Only on expert level
    Oh no! I'm not that good!!!!!!!!!!

Ace of the Reich

Battlefield 2
    Battlefield 1942
    Command and conquer
    Company of heroes

I stick mostly to first-person shooters and puzzle games... so:

Anything Halo
    Bioshock
    Oblivion/Elder Scrolls
    Portal
    Assassin's Creed

and randomly, Avatar Golf

Battlestations Miday-My favorite
    Risk
    ACW simulations- I have not played in awhile cannot recall the maker.
    AAA- Basicallt Axis and Allies board game for the PC
    Entire Medal of Honor serries for PS2
    Famous Aces-Wii

Received Battlestations Pacific for X-mas, but have not been successful in getting it to load yet

I am not a big PC gamer or PS2/Wii, but my kids cannot get enough and quickly take over the few games I do have.

Two must haves in Air Combat Simulation:
    -Battle of Britain 2 Wings of Victory
    -IL-2 Sturmovik complete

In the same genre, a highly advisable ww1 air combat CFS3 addon:
    -Over Flanders Fields

Many Paradox Entertainment games (historical big scale strategy games, quite depth yet very playable):
    -Hearts of Iron 2 & 3 (ww2)
    -Europa Universalis 3 (from Renaissanse to lace wars)
    -Europa Universalis Rome Gold (from Phyrric wars to Augustus)
    ... and others. The company covers many historical timeframes

I also like tactical simulation wargames, I currently play :
    -Close Combat series (my fav is 'A Bridge Too Far')
    -Combat Mission Shock Force with its addons (modern day tactical wargame, quite awesome)

I enjoy good RPGs too:
    -Oblivion
    -The Witcher

I was hoping SOMEBODY would mention Combat Mission and Close Combat. Both damn good tactical sims which IMO have yet to be matched.

I bought a computer back in '99 specifically to play Close Combat. It was Microsoft's top-down WW2 real time strategy game. Battallion level and below. You give general orders to a squad and those men (each individual with his own spec sheet) do their best to follow through. They'd take a second to muster up, then move out, reacting to things like terrain and suppressing fire. They'd scream and panic and get pinned down, so using squads together, offering supportive fire was essential. Your average RTS twitcher who plays StarCraft could never get on with a game like that. Zerglings have no sense of self-preservation. Close Combat was a damn fine game, though it did have some problems with how the armor was modeled...

So in 2002 I upgraded to a new PC specifically to play Combat Mission. That game took things to the next level with 3-D terrain and units. You still had to use semi-realistic combined arms tactics, but now instead of RTS, it was a clever "simultaneous turn-based" system in which both players give (or update) orders, then watch one minute of combat play out. Such a deep game. So great. Though I did miss having a spec sheet for every last soldier...

Sadly, I've moved onto a Mac, and do my gaming on the 360. Mostly FPS and RPGs, but I truly lost a few years there to some fine fine PC military gaming.

So yeah. I play video games.

-Joe

I'm a fan of the Combat Mission series too, the modern-day Shock Force being my favourite. I'm also quite fond of RPGs (Dragon Age just now), military flight sims and the Total War series.

StormforceX

I play mostly sport games on computer, such as golf and football (soccer if your American.......why do you call a game played mostly with the hands Football?)

Fan of planes... try the new demo of wings of prey You will need a good computer and better with a joystick !!! The graphic = 9,5/10 :-)

http://www.airwargame.com/eng (official web site with pictures and videos)

you will find the demo on this web site :

http://www.jeuxvideo.fr/demo-jouable...tu-318172.html (french)

http://www.filefront.com/15253053/Wings-of-Prey-Demo/ (english)
    Last edited by franc3555; 01-13-2010 at 07:36.

I would really like to find a good World War I fighter game, but just can't seem to find one with good reviews.

Otherwise, I am content with playing war / boardgames against people sitting across the table from me.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Ken
    Sorties Flown

Thanks Franc3555 - I'll have alook at Wings of Prey this weekend.

I've been thinking of trying to re-install my old BaronBaron PC game on an XP PC to see if it still works. Another old favourite was EuropeanAirWar.
    Still play SteelPanthers games occassionally along with CloseCombat3.
    Some Dawn of War 2 - dislike having to connect to the internet for it. Sometimes Harpoon.
    Loved RedStormRising on the Amiga.

Have RedBaron Arcade demo for PS3. The planes look ok but flying through coloured symbols for power ups is just too bizarre besides my reflexes are that fast these days.
    I think the most addictive PS3 game is Fallout3.

Razide: You don't need to connect to Windows Live to play DOW2, if you're not connected and you sign in it'll say that it can't connect but still allow you to play as normal.

Re Red Baron: I play Red Baron 3D on my Windows 7 system. I have the Full Canvas Jacket mod installed, but the base game is the same (just 100+ extra planes and far better graphics). You will need to use something like Isobuster to install it and a Glide wrapper to emulate the original 3DFX graphics.
    Have a look here:http://www.hellsangels.firstflare.com/main.htm

Users Country Flag

Name
    Ken
    Sorties Flown

IRM: I recall seeing somewhere that you don't need to connect to WindowLive to play DOW2 but my setup doesn't progress if not connected.
    Mind you the last time I tried the Eldar whooped me good and I haven't tried since.

I've the original Sierra RedBaron and had downloaded some files to upgrade to the 3D version but the old PIII it was on died and I haven't yet tried on the newer PIV with XP. I'll have alook at that site, thanks.
    I've been spoilt by PS3 & PS2 console gaming where you simply stick in the disc and play.

Now:

Lord of the Rings Online
    Dragon Age: Origins
    Batman Arkham Asylum
    Anno 1404
    Fallout 3

Past:

A lot.

Cujo8-1 : http://www.jeuxvideo.fr/jeux/wings-of-war/ maybe that will interest you !!! This one is more arcade than simulator but maybe you will download the demo on this page

Users Country Flag

Name
    Andreas
    Sorties Flown

Hi folks...

I Play first of all, Call of Duty Modern Warefare 2
    -Dawn of War 2
    -Empires Total War
    -Company of Heroes, Opposing Fronts , and Tales of Valor
    -John Tillers Campaign Series ( Matrix games)
    -Left 4 Dead

MfG

Andreas

I'm not much into computer games. I game mostly for the fun of getting together with friends. WoW is perfect for that as it plays fast with lots of interaction and is simple to play.

Pooh

- Half-Life 1 & 2 (+ Counter-Strike: Source)
    - Command & Conquer / Red Alert
    - Combat Mission 1, 2 & 3
    - Steel Panthers: World at War
    - Strategic Command 1 & 2
    - Silent Hunter III
    - Star Wars: Empire at War

Thumbs up Computer Gaming

My own computer gaming goes back to 1969. I played in a Civil 25mm game
    and the combat results were generated over a phone connection connected to a main frame 10 miles away.
    If you are as old as i am you might remember the arcade game THE RED BARON MACHINE. That gave out tokens for kills and high scores i hold the Flying Ace Medal and the Red Baron patch many times over.
    My PC days go back to the C-64 playing Seven Cities of Gold and Pirates of the Caribbean. My favorite clone game was and is still Master of Orion. Secrete Weapons Of the Luftwaffe was a great one. Doom by the hour. Now i do mainly shooters and have been up through ranks of Call of duty 4 online several times.

Hello

I play Call of Duty Modern Warefare on internet
    and now my old Wing of War (computer combat flight simulation)

Users Country Flag

Name
    Geoff
    Sorties Flown

Rome Total War
    Silent Hunter 3
    Neverwinter Nights (for which I build mods under the name of Quillmaster)
    Dragonage Origins
    Fallout 3

Battlefield 1942
    Battlefield 2
    Forgotten Hope
    Flyboys
    Pacific fighters
    Medal of Honor
    Call of Duty

Mass Effect
    Civilization 4
    HPS Simulations Campaign Gettysburg
    Galactic Civilizations 2

It's funny but if I had to guess my total time investment in these games in the last 6 months has been tiny with the exception of Mass Effect. Before my kid was born I used to play a ton of Counter-Strike:Source, but it's just a lot more fun playing with him than shooting up people I've never met over the interwebs

New:

Overlord II
    Mass Effect 2

How do you like Overlord? (Since we all know ME2 is awesome...)

Belis4irus ...what is wrong with Rise of Flight? I just stumbled into it. http://riseofflight.com/en/about/features
    It looks great and I was thinking of getting copy.

Hi Dorb here are a few things I dug up on Rise of Flight that steered me away from it.

Decent performance requires a very good rig. I just got my computer last year and I'm not sure it could handle it very well to be honest. I've got pretty high end stuff on it as well like an i7 processor, 6gb of 1066 DDR3 RAM, a 7200 RPM HDD and a GeForce 9600GT.

I don't like how the company has put out a bunch of uber-planes that dominate the planes they ship with the game. 2 average, but high use planes to be sure...now they're into creating the planes that have the best engine variants, with the optimal gun setups, etc. So if you buy into the game, look at spending at least another 32 - 40 dollars on planes to be competitive.

Patching seems to break and fix. So they'll patch the game and it'll fix the issues they noted, but break other things. It's like they don't have a true QA team to review patches, etc. before general release.

I'm waiting and hoping they release a "gold box" deal where you get the game in a stable patched up state with a large selection of addon planes at a much reduced price. Like 60 bucks for the game + 12 planes or something.

Thanks for the info. My wife just gave me the green light the other day for a new gaming rig so the spec won't bother me, but good to know some inside info on the game. I think I will put this game on the sideline for now.

Battlefield 2 ( computergame)
    Dawn of war ( coputer Game )
    Ogame ( browser game )

and also:

WH40K ( yeah yeah..I know )
    WoW PBeM ( computer moderated )
    Boardgames
    Squad leader ( the original )
    Last edited by Bluedevil; 03-20-2010 at 07:28. Reason: forgot some :-)

Users Country Flag

Name
    Bruno_Stachel
    Sorties Flown

Rise of Flight
    Empire:Total War (and now the Napoleon:Total War sequel)
    Lord of the Rings Online (a lot of this one)

and still playing to a lesser extent Rome:Total War

Users Country Flag

Name
    Ken
    Sorties Flown

Accidentally discovered Gratuitious Space Battles for the PC this weekend.
    http://www.positech.co.uk/gratuitousspacebattles/
    Scroll down towards the bottom of the homepage to see some YouTube gameplay videos.

A very entertaining game of designing spaceships (from fighter, frigate & cruiser hulls), deploying them with behaviours & range options then letting the battle take its course.

The actual battles look wonderful even though you have no control when they run. The animated explosions, weapon beams, torpedoes, missiles look fantastic. Watching your ship's shields fail is a mortifying experience.

Empire Total War
    Rome Total War.
    Gettysburg
    Antitam.
    Mostly, however, tabletop wargames. A.W.I, A.C.W, E.C.W. Zulu, And am just painting up a W of The Roses Army. Any good W.W.1 flight simulations available?
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Rise Of Flight and Over Flanders Fields (Microsoft CFS 3 mod) are recent sims you might want to take a look at.

There's a couple of older ones I prefer to those, with better single-player gameplay and simpler (but not simple) controls: Red Baron 3D (with player-made mods - Full Canvas Jacket - to improve the graphics and flight models) and the more lightweight but fun First Eagles (again with player-made mods to add new aircraft and campaigns and a more realistic flight model). You can pick up the base games for those for peanuts.

Thanks Iain.
    I'll look into those asap.
    Rob.

Default Battlefield Heroes Free EA Game

I play battlefield heroes it a free ea game.

I have played more computer and console games than I could possibly remember to list here... many types, many genres... but I would still rather sit at a table and face my "enemy" any day! (Even if it means they are on the network playing aginst me from across the table...)
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    I have played more computer and console games than I could possibly remember to list here... many types, many genres... but I would still rather sit at a table and face my "enemy" any day! (Even if it means they are on the network playing aginst me from across the table...)
    I'm with you Ken. You can't beat watching that bead of perspiration run down their brow, before you send them to ...... oh well|
    Rob.

In my past i played - ehrm... countless. Nowadays they became drastically less. The last games i did enjoy were "Oblivion" and "Fallout 3" - interrupted with some emulated "Wings". Oh and i loved playing Civilization 2 & 3 loooong time ago.

I'm mostly a board gamer...but enjoy ROME: Total War (with the EB mod) and Civilization IV BTS. Have also played Red Baron, but not for a few years. Am looking into Flanders Fields maybe sometime next year.

I don't play as much as I used too. But I still play...
    City of Heroes
    Lord of the Rings online
    occasionally pop in Starcraft
    or Red Baron Arcade for the PS3( It is a videogame not a flight sim)
    and many more than I can remember over the last 30 years

I'm hooked on "World of Tanks", it's only a Beta test at present. 15 players a side in mainly WW2 tanks (from PZ2 to Maus) with so far Russian, German and USA armour. (French (???) to arrive soon).

A few of us platoon up and play using Skype, great fun....

I am a big Over Flanders Field Between Heaven and Hell fan.

I am intrigued by Rise of Flight but I suspect my rig is not up to specs as the planes become very unstable when I hit the action. It is almost impossible to aim and shoot, even at stationary targets. I have managed to down some balloons but that is about it. I can't even strafe trucks/trains. I can't believe I'm that lame because I was a god in Red Baron.

Has anyone had a similiar experience?

Foobs

For me if I am not on my PS3 I am playing flight sims - IL2 and Rise of Flight

None, i have never had the patience or skill to play them. Just like the old way of gaming with people, not a machine that can out think me every time!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. How do you buy your games?
    By afilter in forum Polls
    Replies: 120
    Last Post: 12-13-2020, 06:04
  2. WWII Games
    By Wildcard in forum WGS: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-26-2012, 21:49
  3. What other games do you play?
    By afilter in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 02-17-2011, 12:24
  4. What other WWI airplane games have you played?
    By usmc1855 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 01-18-2010, 11:23
  5. Custom Computer Game
    By Walahalla in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-25-2009, 07:07