Ares Games

View Poll Results: Where do you buy your gaming supplies

Voters
243. You may not vote on this poll
  • I only buy local no matter the price (need to keep the LGS in business)

30 12.35%
  • I mostly shop online

95 39.09%
  • I do both, support the LGS as well as look for an occassional deal online.

118 48.56%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you buy your games?

I do both. I buy things from the local game shop because I use the game rooms to play WoW and as well as other games. I need to help the store "keep the lights on".

I also buy items online.

If anyone buys strictly online to save money and still regularly avails themselves of the local game store's game rooms, they should re-evaluate such behavior.

I've seen too much of the latter.

Gotta support the LGS!!

I too try to support the LGS but had no choice but order from the internet to get the WWI deluxe edition.

Didn't have the patience to wait for version 2. Especially not knowing when they will be available.

I first found WoW at a LGS while on vacation in Maryland. I didn't decide to get it until a few weeks after we got home - and did some online research (found this site too!). I approached two LGS and asked them about bringing the product in. The first one said he had no success with 144 scale and refused flat out. The other said he'd look into it and after 2 phone calls and a visit (at which I left my name and phone number) I still haven't heard from him and that was in Aug. Local research failed to turn up any retailers who carried WoW - ya, I'm patient. Then I went online.

Got the Deluxe WWI set from Quebec, ordered minis from another big box vendor in the US, then found CoolStuffInc.com (best postage to Canada btw). I have even ordered form overseas: 5x Fokker Dr.1's (France) and some D VII's (France and England) as they are no longer available from retailers in N.A..

I will pay more to get what I want, and if the LGS can't or wont supply it, what else can one do?

Pkay, d'où est-ce que tu fasses les achets du Québec? J'aimerais acheter une buite deluxe de WWI s'il en ont «in stock». Pour éviter des problèmes avec le sponsor, envoyez-moi un courriel: scott (caractère de soulignement) schelter @ hotmail (point) com.

Merci!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Stewart
    Sorties Flown

Unfortunately a complete lack of FLGS means my only option is to buy online

Users Country Flag

Name
    Gino
    Sorties Flown

I usually post my orders to my FLG and wait (9 last time)...

Occasionally, falling in shopping frenzy, I buyed some single plane in other shops.

G.

2 years ago, I got my first set and expansion cards at a LGS, then it went belly up a month later. I had to shop online ever since, until I found a new game shop had opened in town. The new LGS has the same prices and I don’t have to pay for shipping.

I believe in supporting the Brick and Mortar stores whenever I can. I also try to spend money in the dealer room at Origins every year. Having that place to play is a privilege that should be supported with loyalty to the store. Having the 2nd largest Gaming Convention in the US come back to Columbus each year is also important to me...

The only time I shop online for gaming goodies is if my FLGS cannot get them or chooses not to carry them.

Shop Where You Play!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Default support

we try to support are loco hobby stores but if thay don't have it we outsors!

Our local stores are kinda "lacking". If they had this great product, I would beat a path to their door, and spend a bundle. Seems that buying on line is the "only" way to go for me. Joe

I have done both, and will usually buy something from my LGS if I know they have it in stock. ( I guess I like the instant gratification.) But, if they don't have what I want, I'll just order it online.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by somaliavet View Post
    I have done both, and will usually buy something from my LGS if I know they have it in stock. ( I guess I like the instant gratification.) But, if they don't have what I want, I'll just order it online.
    Same for me. Although the LGS is supportive of WoW and has followed through both times I asked him to order more miniatures, he could not get any Fokker DrI's or DVII's, Udets DVa, Camels - Barker & Elwood, Albatros DIII's, or Nieuport 17's. I then had to resort to the net to purchase all of these. I would prefer to buy from my LGS and increase the WoW retail area. Currently, WoW is in a small corner while the other 98% of the store is Fantasy, D&D, Warhammer, Warcraft, 40K, Magic, boardgames, and Flames of War. The other LGS, across town, does not stock WoW. So the internet is a viable, though more expensive (in some instances), option.

I play at LGS buy there when convenient. But most time can find on line cheaper if I shop carefully.

I mix and match.

I try to support my LGS when I can and have the patience to wait for them to stock/restock the products I want.
    Nowadays, there's only a handful of (non-GW) game shops in the whole country - and none (that I've visited at least) that I would call "real".

There used to be shops where you could go in and say "I'd like a game that's something like this or that" and they'd recommend you something good, or simply say "suggest a good game to me" and they'd still come up trumps - You knew that they actually played the games themselves and usually they'd even bother to get to know you. (Boy, have I become a grumpy old man, or what?)

None of that around now, but it's still nice to actually try to be able to walk into a shop - any games shop. So I try to support them anyhow.

Actually, some of the online suppliers seems to me to be real game enthusiast - I try to support those to.

I'm more into availability than price (though I do have a budget limit - Or at least that's what my wife keeps saying).

I too use both. I have a great local vendor here in Western, PA and have thrown a bunch a business his way. But, I don't believe that being an online vendor necessarily eliminates the "friendly" part of the old FLGS mantra.

The online vendor I use is very friendly and I have called him personally several times to discuss orders. Plus, as others have noted, the prices are much better than what can be found at an LGS. Saving a few bucks is still important after all.

Nice to see this one got some new attention.. I also use both.. My FLGS is one that I worked at 20+ years ago.. Royal Hobby here in Rockford IL is a great family run store.. I've known the owner, Ken, for near 30 years.. he is willing to accommodate my requests and tries to get what is available.. but he can't get it all.. but he has promised to get what he can when the new stuff.. and reprints.. come out.. so I gotta give him his props there.. I do go online when I can't get it there.. and my initial WoW purchase was at a local convention. ROC CON.. dropped about $200 that day.. lol..

My Osprey on Pfalz aces arrived in the mail, so I had to pop by my LGS and support them to the tune of of two Pfalz-minis (all they had) to repaint, and a Nieuport (realized I didn't have an Albert Ball one).

Luckily, they were rather short stocked, or I'd gone and ruined myself on minis - again...

With no source of supply within 2 1/2 Hours Drive & then at high prices I use online plus Ebay.
    We also do a bit of "horse trading" amongst Club Members.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    With no source of supply within 2 1/2 Hours Drive & then at high prices I use online plus Ebay.
    We also do a bit of "horse trading" amongst Club Members.
    I hear ya, Barry!

I split my business between two LGS's (one is the only one in my town, the other's a bit farther afield but its GM has been extremely helpful so that's how I say 'thank you', a friend's online store and forum sponsors.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mark Duncan
    Sorties Flown

I try to buy locally first, as I buy the planes in complete sets when they come out, however there are some things that I cannot get or the LGS can not profitably handle such as the foam carrying cases or the cool flight stands and markers. But one that note I've purchased 60+ planes, all the decks, balloons, 4 mats and additional boxes from the LGS and another 20 planes from Reveirsco/Skytrex.

I buy most of my 'hobby' items online. Even with shipping from the US to Canada, such items are usually much, much cheaper than the local vendors - and of course the selection is better.

I would prefer to buy from local businesses, of course, but the markup in the brick and mortar store is so high, that they're simply priced out of affordable range.

I buy from two LGS that provide gaming space, as well as the occasional on-line purchase. One of my LGS (very close to where I live) charges full retail for their product, but since I game there often I try to support them by buying from them. The more distant LGS (where I also game) discounts their product so I like to buy stuff there. I buy on-line for items my LGS don't carry.

I couldn't find any local. I even asked my LGS but no joy. So other than a couple of fantastic trades I put everything on line at Miniature Market. Good prices and that had a good stock of what I was looking for at the time.

No local shops carry within a reasonable drive so I buy online and at shows.

Unfortunately, the local hobby or game suppliers are pretty much gone in my area.
    I stop by my one local hobby store, but only to buy small supplies and not much else.
    They are more into trains... That only leaves online for just about everything. I usually like to "touch" what I buy, but I have to move with the times. My gaming needs are niche and are not available in stores. Heroclix is the only game I buy at LCBS, and I still purchase more online.

I try to buy in the Aerodrome store, therefore online and also there are no one selling WoG in stores in Holland.

There are no LGS in Toowoomba, and used to buy on line from Australian store's but due to several stuff ups I now only buy from Keith.

I buy mostly online as I get better deals. That being said, on Thurdsay nights when I go to the Local shop to game I always buy something like paints, modeling supplies, or the current wargaming mag. Now I even take a look at their half dozen or so WOG planes to grab one each week I do not have. I do not have a lot of cash so go for cheap deals, but you HAVE to support your shop somehow. SO they get ALL my paint and mag business and I get minis wherever I can cheaply. Did get the WOG rules there last week though, after all they sponsored the demo that got me hooked.

Update: When I originally answered I was only talking about getting the planes. Many were far over MSRP, some not, some from places like eBay, people here and Miniature Market.

As for gaming supplies, that's a broad question. When I'm getting supplies for WoG mostly I mostly order from the Aerodrome Store or Litko. Other supplies depends on the game.

But if I can, I try to get most of my things from Cool Stuff Inc.
    Last edited by Ken at Sunrise; 04-13-2018 at 05:55. Reason: spell'in n grammer

I buy from online because there are no local shops.

Smile

I have since my last post back in 2011 been buying from Keith via the Aerodrome Store but now we have our own Australian distributor, Rival Sky Games & as there is no local Games Store within Cooee of Moruya I have purchased direct from Evan.
    Postage & the US Dollar makes it too expensive to buy from Keith these days.

There are no shops anywhere near me, so I largely buy online. I do buy from shops at conventions when I can.
    B.

I buy online, mostly ebay but also Aerodrome Accessories and Entoyment (that way I'm supporting a bricks-and-mortar store by buying from them online).

Recently I have stopped buying from Miniature Market owing to exorbitant postage costs.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Bloody thread necromancers...
    Voilà le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Keith is my go to guy at the Aerodrome Store, all my orders of the branded items come from him. For the 1/144 planes and other things I use Miniature Market and this brand new webpage called Eebay? Am I typing that Correctly? eBay? I doubt any of you have heard of it.
    “Flying is hours and hours of boredom sprinkled with a few seconds of sheer terror!” Gregory “Pappy” Boyington, USMC”

I also go to Keith at the Aerodrome. I have recently ordered several of his custom etched bases for some shapeway planes I have built. The bases are unbelievable perfect. He etched in the data for the planes including climb rate and ceiling. Fantastic.

If he is out of a plane I have gone to Miniature Market. Their prices are good and they deliver quickly.

Here's to them what are like us. Damn few and they're all dead.

No local shop stocks them here. Otherwise I'd be happy to buy local if the price wasn't too steep.

Unfortunately, it is becoming harder and harder to find WOG items in my area and there is only 1 hobby shop I know of nearby so while I would rather buy from a LGS, I buy most of my WOG items online.

I am yet another Sussex lad that has no LGS that will stock wings. I shop online for almost all my gaming needs because it costs the price of another two seater plane to use the London to Brighton train line. After which you have to travel all over London to visit many small stores that are off the beaten track, only to find that they don't stock wow or can't get any wow or only have the duel packs and accessories pack. It still staggers me that the South East of England is one of the most affluent areas in Europe and yet it is the the wargamers black hole for retail outlets.

I support my local game store.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Bart
    Sorties Flown

I bought my LGS out of WoW/WoG several years ago and they never restocked so I buy all online now.

If any of the LGSs in the area stocked anything other then XWing, 40K, or Magic I’d buy from there. We’ve even tried to get the closest to host any number of historical games with no success. Can’t reserve tables and if you are willing to wait they then charge you for the table. That would be why I left the F off that LGS!

Brings up a good point though. Other than MiniatureMarket and TheWarStore (not counting Aerodeome here) where do others shop online in the US? I saw someone mention CoolStuffInc but it looks like they don’t really carry anything but SW stuff anymore.

CSI still stocks, they just don't advertise or do sale-prices as much anymore. Usually of late Miniature Market has made better offers, though, even with my loyalty-program discount.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

I do try to buy from Cool Stuff whenever I can, but they have more pages of 'Out of Stock' than in stock for Wings of Glory. I think I have more types of planes than they do what really should never happen. Some things they have been out of stock since I started playing.

I do both, but both of the local shops (within 30 miles) have limited historical stock, and have stopped restocking WOG due to over ordering and stagnant sales. Part of the problem being Ares slow release of new aircraft for the game. Our local gamer's still enjoy the game, but flying the same old aircraft under new colors isn't making the sales. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by James Denberger View Post
    [...] but flying the same old aircraft under new colors isn't making the sales. :-(
    There might be more reasons that that. X-Wing is a huge success and you pilot 4 identical X-Wings or a half-dozen identical TIE Fighters. There were plenty of double freighter lists in tournaments; yes freighters are often better than actual attack fighters in X-Wing.

X-Wing has a huge fan base for Star Wars where Wings of Glory has an issue there and several others. Lack of production leads to 'Out of Stock' for years, consistent 'it will be out within a year', etc. Even when we play with new people or take the game to conventions we often (always?) use planes that simply are not available or can only be purchased via third party. Then you have to paint them yourself and find maneuver cards, etc. We play the planes we like and fun, but at the same time we tell the new players, sorry you can't get this without paying huge amounts on eBay or taking a more self-limiting DIY approach.

This and a few other issues makes it very hard to attract new players who might have otherwise been tempted. Unless you're a HUGE and very dedicated fan of WWI aerial combat most gamer types will prefer games that are more complete and more readily accessible. We wish it was otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    Bloody thread necromancers...
    And I'm going to do it again!

The primary source for my Wings habit is Cool Stuff Inc.
    I live in an area with a huge gamer population, enough to support at least a half dozen game stores if not more, but at the moment as far as I know only one actually carries WoW/G. So while I do support stores when I can, it is mostly rpgs and rpg minis that I buy from the locals.

Quote Originally Posted by jbmacek View Post
    And I'm going to do it again!

The primary source for my Wings habit is Cool Stuff Inc.
    I live in an area with a huge gamer population, enough to support at least a half dozen game stores if not more, but at the moment as far as I know only one actually carries WoW/G. So while I do support stores when I can, it is mostly rpgs and rpg minis that I buy from the locals.
    Las Vegas is like that, as well. So far, I've seen one shop with a handful of WWI and WWII planes, but that's that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. What to buy first as a new player
    By Oberst Hajj in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 03-30-2014, 18:31
  2. WWII Games
    By Wildcard in forum WGS: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-26-2012, 21:49
  3. Geeking out during games with sound effects
    By bsmith13 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-01-2010, 12:27
  4. What other WWI airplane games have you played?
    By usmc1855 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 01-18-2010, 11:23