Ares Games

View Poll Results: Where do you buy your gaming supplies

Voters
243. You may not vote on this poll
  • I only buy local no matter the price (need to keep the LGS in business)

30 12.35%
  • I mostly shop online

95 39.09%
  • I do both, support the LGS as well as look for an occassional deal online.

118 48.56%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you buy your games?

I buy some equipment from my local games shop because I feel that it is important to support to help keep it open as a source for the games. Also I buy from internet stores.

I buy from my local games store where possible as I feel its important to support your gaming venue. Where stock is unavailable though then ebay and forum members are useful for filling in gaps.

I voted "both". I've bought online from Keith and via the Giants Kickstarter, the closest I can get to buying from an FLGS is biting from traders at shows, as our FLGS has never stocked the game

My only local (20 miles away) shop is mainly a train and model shop. 20 years ago I asked the owner if I could put up a small notice to start a gaming group, miniatures and board. He refused. I have bought supplies there but because of distance and attitude my support is minimal.

99% of my Wings purchases are online. Larger conventions are the only place I usually can find any planes.

I would like to support a FLGS, but...

The FLGS won't bring in Ares products, because the local community doesn't buy it. A WGF RAP has sat on the shelf for two years, despite my demos and convention appearances, probably because there are no planes on pegs in the store, and no visible 'community' playing it, just one 'old guy' raving about an old game.

For BSG, I can order stuff in, but for the last wave of Raptors and Heavy Raiders I had to go to an online store, as the FLGS was unable to acquire them from the distributor.

I was going to get them from the Aerodrome, but the exchange rates, postage, and customs would have driven up the price of the models too high. As it turns out, I found a site in Canada that could provide them at near US prices, which should end up being almost half of what the FLGS wanted to charge me.

Don't know what I will do in the future, with that price difference. I don't want to loose the gaming venue.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 12-28-2019 at 09:52.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

My "local" game store is "Entoyment" which is over 100 miles away! I have always found the customer service and relations second to none, and wish to support it as far as I can.

It is located less than 3 miles from the house I grew up in, but is 40 years too late!

Fortunately, it is the venue for "Flight Club" so I find myself down there every 6 weeks or so. I order from them online as well as making 'spot' purchases when I visit.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Sorry, I thought the answer to this was “without the wife knowing”...

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    I thought that went without saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    I thought that went without saying.
    Wow! I must be the lucky one. Mine tends to encourage me though she does say I may have a gaming addiction.

Got no local Well its200km away and does not stock WGF or2

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    My "local" game store is "Entoyment" which is over 100 miles away! I have always found the customer service and relations second to none, and wish to support it as far as I can.

It is located less than 3 miles from the house I grew up in, but is 40 years too late!

Fortunately, it is the venue for "Flight Club" so I find myself down there every 6 weeks or so. I order from them online as well as making 'spot' purchases when I visit.
    Mr Valinski is currently trying to secure better supply amounts so watch this space.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    Wow! I must be the lucky one. Mine tends to encourage me though she does say I may have a gaming addiction.
    Mine is supportive, in fairness she has watched me shift a lot of other systems on in the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Gangleader147 View Post
    Mr Valinski is currently trying to secure better supply amounts so watch this space.
    Goody!

On reflection there should have been another voting option which read “without the wife knowing”

On reflection there should have been another voting option which read “without the wife knowing”
    Your previous post, #107 ?

D’oh it’s been a long day...

D’oh it’s been a long day...
    It's been a long YEAR!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    It's been a long YEAR!
    Goodness is certainly has...

I give up. Okay not really but sometimes I feel that way.

I'm with you Ken its been a catalogue of ****e since February.... just cannot wait until Jan 1st and praying there is no more heartache between now and then.

Think positive guys - next year is going to be a good year .....

We just need to make sure the venues that can support the game being played don't vanish in the process. (although they do need to earn our support)

If the vaccine works as hoped and people take it, then by June 2021 the world should be, hopefully, back to normal. Fingers crossed. On the bright side, I've saved a fair bit more than I would have by not traveling abroad. Yeah!!! More for games. So as soon as this pandemic subsides I can have friends (you call them mates ) to the house for a game or several games.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Missions

1. What to buy first as a new player
    By Oberst Hajj in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 03-30-2014, 18:31
  2. WWII Games
    By Wildcard in forum WGS: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-26-2012, 21:49
  3. Geeking out during games with sound effects
    By bsmith13 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-01-2010, 12:27
  4. What other WWI airplane games have you played?
    By usmc1855 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 01-18-2010, 11:23