Ares Games

View Poll Results: Where do you buy your gaming supplies

Voters
243. You may not vote on this poll
  • I only buy local no matter the price (need to keep the LGS in business)

30 12.35%
  • I mostly shop online

95 39.09%
  • I do both, support the LGS as well as look for an occassional deal online.

118 48.56%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you buy your games?

Default How do you buy your games?

I tend to try and support any local game stores in our area so they will stay around. When looking for a single item or small purchase I always buy local. When considering a larger purchase I do have a couple of favorite online vendors that I support. In this economy with savings of 30-40% or more available online it just makes sense.

Here is a thread for recommended online vendors:
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?t=782

What do you do?

The only time I will not buy at my LGS is if they can not get it for me.

I live in one of those places that the LGS is the only one in the area... and boy do they let you know that.The prices aren't very good, and they almost never have anything new that I would be interested in. When I asked about ordering something, I was brushed off with a 'we already get everything that the distributor has...' Seriously! So, amazingly enough, I buy 90-95% online.

My LGS is rubbish, its all Games Workshop and chess sets with a reluctance for owner to go outside his comfort zone, not worth supporting really. I do all my shopping on line either direct from worldwide online stores or via Ebay. In the case of WoW stuff the local distributers retail markup in Australia is far too high, I can save upto 50% including postage by buying direct from US Ebay stores, I get the item in my hand 5 to 7 days after I pay for it. I also get hold of new releases within a few weeks of release dates rather than waiting a few months.

I bought the box sets and about half my models from 2 LGSs in Glasgow. The rest I picked up online since both shops have had trouble getting in new WoW releases and replenishing stock and only usually get in one of each colour scheme anyway. Nevertheless, I prefer using the LGSs as I like to get a look at the models before buying (I've had a few with badly misplaced decals and a few with damage) but the prices steer me towards online stores (WW1 fighters jumped from about £7 to about £11) since I can pick up models for almost half price in some cases. Very useful when I was wanting 8 planes for repainting.
    http://www.boardgameclub.co.uk/index...x&cPath=92_613

Here in the UK all LGS have mainly died out and have been replaced by GW or similar outlets, there never were a great many and tended to be in large cities. Mail order was the usual way to get stuff.

There was one in Scotland, I shall refrain from naming the establishment, which was infamous, the owner opened when he felt like it. So I would get up early, make a train journey only to find it closed. When he was open if I wanted ten of something he had eight or had just sold the last one, or they were on order, never to appear due to transport problems or some such excuse. I once purchased some Swiss only to find years later small piles of grey dust in amongst serried ranks of pikemen, he had been making his own and fobbing them off as originals, the metal was rubbish. The shop drew me like a moth, but I bought hardly anything in over 30 years.

And, believe it or not, he is still there, not in the same shop but nearby, his window display never having changed.

Thank god for the internet.

I did once make it to The Emperor's thingy in Chicago a long time ago, and was blown away, what a mecca for wargamers that was.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Steve
    Sorties Flown

Where I live there is only one LGS and when I went in and asked about WoW the proprieter said he had never heard of it. I got my first set from a shop in Aldershot UK whilst staying there recently with a friend, and they had a good selection but are too far away from me for regular use. Even if there were any more local shops on the near mainland to me the cost of getting to them would be too prohibitive as a return foot passenger ticket off the island would be more than the cost of a miniature. So for me it has to be the internet.

I have already ordered some stuff from a site called Games Lore. They had the best prices I could find even after taking P&P into account. Unfortunately the stuff hasn't arrived yet but as we have had no mail now for nearly a week due to the snow it is probably awaiting delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by Belis4rius View Post
    Here in the UK all LGS have mainly died out and have been replaced by GW or similar outlets,
    And this is why I buy from my friendly local game store (and I should emphasize "friendly"; they're family owned and service oriented, with weekly open gaming nights and specific game events many other evenings). Though when I can get way with it, I'm fairly unapologetic about waiting for one of their 10% discounts. I figure I make the effort to buy all of my Wings of War stuff through them, when we all know I can get them cheaper on-line; they can slip me a little discount every now and then...

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudotheist View Post
    I figure I make the effort to buy all of my Wings of War stuff through them, when we all know I can get them cheaper on-line; they can slip me a little discount every now and then...
    Good point the two LGS I primarily support both offer me a 10% discount on all purchases.

One has a club which I belong two which also provides a instore credit when you purchase x amount and the other because I have been a customer for over 15 years.

I mainly buy from a U.S distributor as the stores in New Zealand have limited range are expensive.

cheers
    GW

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    I mainly buy from a U.S distributor as the stores in New Zealand have limited range are expensive.

cheers
    GW
    How much are you paying for one WoW model?

I buy in my LGS most of the time but if internet prices are to good I occasionaly order online, too.

I try to balance my orders - my local game store hosts the campaign we're playing, the owner is a good friend of mine and we are both in a gaming club. The store is also the first contact for future members of the club. Therefore I think it is really important to support the shop. But I'm also tempted now and then by good online discounts. I also play lots of other games and especially the German RPGs have a fixed price by law (books), so I order these at the store. The store is not just a selling point but a social place for lots of gamers, so my town definitely needs this place.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilco View Post
    How much are you paying for one WoW model?
    I can get them in for around $21NZD [single seaters] and $24NZD [two-seaters]. This can drop a little depending on how many planes the order has. [eg the more planes the bigger the discount is.] I have bought planes into NZ and also sent some to Oz for my mates as well.

Most of the companies here sell them from $24-$26NZD for the single seaters and $27-$30NZD for the two-seaters.
    Box sets are between $55NZD to $70NZD depends on which box set you want. [I can get the box sets for around $49-$55NZD]

Cheers
    GW

My local game store has been awesome. I give him a list of what I would like and he gets it in for me. He is reasonable with his pricing and a great guy to deal with. He is a member of our Wings of War League, Our Poker Club, and our Formula De League. He is in touch with games and enjoys playing them. One of the ingredients to running a successful store in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    I can get them in for around $21NZD [single seaters] and $24NZD [two-seaters]. This can drop a little depending on how many planes the order has. [eg the more planes the bigger the discount is.] I have bought planes into NZ and also sent some to Oz for my mates as well.

Most of the companies here sell them from $24-$26NZD for the single seaters and $27-$30NZD for the two-seaters.
    Box sets are between $55NZD to $70NZD depends on which box set you want. [I can get the box sets for around $49-$55NZD]

Cheers
    GW
    Gosh thats expensive!

There are two (well known) companies in Aus that distribute WoW and both are too expensive for retailers to sell for a reasonable price and a 2 seater can cost $25Aus, which is a joke as they are only about $10-$11US.

Do you have an E-Bay and PayPal account?

I can recommend 2 excellent and cheap US Ebay sellers with very low postage and handling costs but you need to buy 4-6 models at a time to keep the postage per unit cost negligable.

With WoW Series 4 (6 singles and 6 two seaters) just around the corner, I am considering buying the entire set at once which will work out to close to $12US a plane including the postage.

$10-$11 They cost £11-£13 in shops over here !

I live about an hour from my hobby store. I go up every other weekend. I buy from them if they have it or can get it. If not then I look on-line. This gives us a place to play and meet new gamers as well helping the local economy.

Tom

There's nothing like the feeling of walking into a good gaming store. I can waste hours poring over racks of miniatures and inspecting all the games in their heavy boxes. I try and treat myself to a trip at least once every few months with the promise of buying something, be it a pair of new planes or a board game. I try and buy games for friends and family as gifts, just to get an excuse to go down to the local store.

I feel lucky to have a hobby/gaming shop not too far from my house. I know I can get most anything they sell for cheaper online, but the magic of having it all there in one place is well worth the premium. It would be a tragedy to lose these places. Anyone with the option of going to a game store locally should do what's best for gaming culture at large and avoid online buying whenever possible.

Of course, if your LGS is run by jerks... buy online.

-Joe
    Last edited by Rum Demon; 01-13-2010 at 11:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Rum Demon View Post
    I'm feel lucky to have a hobby/gaming shop not too far from my house. I know I can get most anything they sell for cheaper online, but the magic of having it all there in one place is well worth the premium. It would be a tragedy to lose these places. Anyone with the option of going to a game store locally should do what's best for gaming culture at large and avoid online buying whenever possible.

-Joe
    I could not have said it better my self! If you have a good local game store, support them to the bitter end. If you have a bad local game store, make it a point to go in and talk to them and help make them into a good store. The returns on your gaming experiences will be well worth it.

Well spoken, Demon.

I'm feel lucky to have a hobby/gaming shop not too far from my house. I know I can get most anything they sell for cheaper online, but the magic of having it all there in one place is well worth the premium. It would be a tragedy to lose these places. Anyone with the option of going to a game store locally should do what's best for gaming culture at large and avoid online buying whenever possible.

-Joe
    Here! Here! Buy that man a drink.

There's nothing like the feeling of walking into a good gaming store. I can waste hours poring over racks of miniatures and inspecting all the games in their heavy boxes. I try and treat myself to a trip at least once every few months with the promise of buying something, be it a pair of new planes or a board game. I try and buy games for friends and family as gifts, just to get an excuse to go down to the local store.

-Joe

OK, I will play devil's advocate on this one. I fully understand your points and do agree with them. Your reasons are the only reason I buy at all from our LGS. They host a weekly SWM night which my son enjoys. I also have attempted to host several historical game events there, but without much support. The store is primarily interested in supporting the fantasy and Magic crowd with sponsored events.

I buy from them because I want them to stay and be an option for a quick impulse buy of $50 or less. I belong to a $15/yr club that gives me 10% off and $10 store credit for every $200 I spend. I get the $10 credit a few times a year.

I am also involved in CMG specifically Axis and Allies and War at Sea.
    I have an online vendor that will sell be a case for $95-110 depending on the product that would retail for $180/case. I approached the LGS about getting a case discount and the best they will do is the 10% I already get for being a member of the discount club I pay for annually. So, when it comes to a game that they do not support my loyalty will go to my wallet first considering I usually buy 1-2 cases when a new product is released. That is a difference of $120-130 per purchase. I do not expect them to give me the online price, but meeting me part way would be nice.

If the LGS showed more support to the games I enjoy then yes I would suck it up and pay the extra. As it is by me sponsoring games there(which they profit off of in sales) and splitting about 50% of my purchases I fell I am doing more than many to support the local guy. I am the only reason they even stock certain products.

I wish I had an LGS that supported my games more...as it is the majority of my gaming is done at home.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Ken
    Sorties Flown

I've bought most of my WoW stuff from two Sydney shops Tin Soldier & Games Paradise as they are fairly close to where I work, one is three blocks away & the other across the road. They both charge wildly different prices for the same items.
    GP also has an online presence which is much cheaper than their physical shop especially if you order enough stuff to qualify for free postage which also saves having to carry the boxes (eg FA &WYB) home on public transport.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Geoff
    Sorties Flown

I mostly shop online, mainly because there are no local shops (to my knowledge) that stock it. Given the choice I'd rather shop. I like to see things in the flesh so to speak, and get the immediate satisfaction of owning it on the day of purchase, but the nearest shop I can think of would involve a train journey that would buy me another model if I went online instead, so online wins for me unless the journey is justified to do something else.

kaarem

Hi

I shop online.

It is (or rather was, until my buddies went "shop-amoc") possible to get WoW in Copenhagen, but I've found a British shop, who offers 20% discount and fair P&P.

They are not lightningfast, but dependable.

As I'm unsure about the rules for advertising, I've chosen not to name the company.
    Besides the abovementioned "shop-amoc" has already let to some models going "Not in stock".

Regards
    Kaare Myltoft

I'm a hard core customer. I'm very loyal if I get good service and support. I shop at my local store.

Frank.

I mostly shop online despite having a great local store.

My problem with the local stores is two-fold.

1 - Full price is not competitive and while I understand there is an incredible amount of overhead a storefront has that a warehouse doesn't it's still a bit much to ask if you wanna stay competitive.

2 - Throwing up their noses at ever having anything in stock local players ask for. A non Wings of War example...Dominion. Well loved by everyone locally, when a copy hits the shelves it's typically gone within a few days. So how many do they order? 1 or at most 2 every few months.

3 - Being so wholly consumed with Games Workshop games & Magic: The Gathering that everything else is not even on their radar. The markup and market for those two games are virtual cash-cows. They should just run themselves practically! The looks the people give there to anyone not in the store for one of those two things is unbelievably uncomfortable.

So...do I feel bad about not always shopping from my local shop? No way. They're so slow to restock that it's faster to get it online and cheaper. Not to mention, I play there once a week, but there are far more events far more frequently hosted at people's homes locally so it's not like I'd even lose a place to game.

I buy exclusively online. Not because i don't like to shop local, but there is only one LGS within 75 miles of me ,and although he said he would order them in for me, the markup would be so high, it wouldn't be worth it. I can get them alot cheaper online.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Chris
    Sorties Flown

I buy online. A new game store opened locally last year but the only time I bought a miniature there (more expensive than online) they tried to short-change me. When I showed them the error of their ways it was turned into a joke 'he nearly got away with it that time' etc. I wasn't convinced that they don't try this on all the time. So if you do go to a certain game store in Brighton (no names, no pack drill)...make sure you give them the right money!!! Personally I'm not going back.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

I do abit of both myself but having said that, most, about 75%, is on line.

I buy almost everything at my local game store (save the fire markers here)...
    I found that as far as it concerns WoW, eBay and other sites don't have bargains worth the effort.

Got 6 from a games convention in Falkirk, but the rest will all be bought on-line as it'd be a 2 & 1/2 hour trip south, buy what I want and another 2 & 1/2 hour's to get home.
    Basically a whole day out for a few hours shopping in 2 shops that won't have what I want, too expensive with petrol or bus fairs or train fairs and food.

Due to the problems with my eyesight, and not being able to drive, i do all my shopping on line these days.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

NeilCFord

Quote Originally Posted by Gauntlet View Post
    I buy online. A new game store opened locally last year but the only time I bought a miniature there (more expensive than online) they tried to short-change me. When I showed them the error of their ways it was turned into a joke 'he nearly got away with it that time' etc. I wasn't convinced that they don't try this on all the time. So if you do go to a certain game store in Brighton (no names, no pack drill)...make sure you give them the right money!!! Personally I'm not going back.
    A situation made worse by a distinct lack of stock. Seems that unless you are seriously in to figure painting or Work****e, they aren't interested. Shame really as it's a prime location with lots of potential.

Thankfully for me there are a number of alternatives, especially with a quick trip in to London.

- Neil.

I have been into gaming for over 20 years. I have been into about two dozen different games.
    "The Armchair Adventurer" The best store in town... Every time I walk in, Glen brings me what I need, or is ready to order it for me.
    I have never needed to look online for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Anav View Post
    I have been into gaming for over 20 years. I have been into about two dozen different games.
    "The Armchair Adventurer" The best store in town... Every time I walk in, Glen brings me what I need, or is ready to order it for me.
    I have never needed to look online for anything!
    Now that is service. Other stores could learn from Glen. I'm glad to see stores like that still out there.

Tom

He is great. I am broken up that we have to move off island next year. The only store I will miss!

I mostly buy online as I have no LGS that stocks WoW - I've had some really good bargains from the online stores & e-bay. As we seem to be paying premium prices over here I tend to go with the best deal & have found a number of good suppliers. So far I haven't paid over £10 ($15 - yes we pay that much as rrp ! ) for a plane except for 2 seaters & a couple I got insanely cheaper than that.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    The only time I will not buy at my LGS is if they can not get it for me.

I'm of this opinion.

My real local shop, a couple of minutes from me, can often get me all my gaming stuff. Sometimes he can't. Then I go to my other local shop, only 150km away. I have purchased almost all my Wings of War from the shop 150km away, due to crummy distribution.

But I am actually waiting a few days, as my real local says he can get me the Wings of War WW2 series 2 aircraft. Could have bought them yesterday. But the local always get the effort.

Don't care about online discount shops - my real local provides gaming space for 16 6x4 tables, and free gaming time. I ran the club there for the first four years, so I have seen the shop and the club grow. Online shops don't grow anything.

Unfortunately, I don't have a 'local' games store and have to wait until I go to London to find anything that fits the description of a games store. Therefore most purchases are done online.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

So far I've gone the LGS route. There's only one stocking WoW, but they're nice folks, and helpful. Since prices are reasonable, spending time hunting for bargains online isn't really worth the effort. However they haven't brought in the recent boosters, and aren't sure about the upcoming ones...bit of suspense there.
    best regards
    Aris K.

In Rome there is a well-known LGS (and his new second store) where I can easily find WoW packages and minis.

I have some problems to buy with mail-order purchase (to receive the parcel) and I've to add the courier expense.

So the store price is competitive for me.

A.

i do both.
    Usually i buy boardgames in a local shop not so far from my home.
    but sometimes when i need particular bgs or my shop doesnt have what i want, i buy online.

Im a big fan of "I have to touch it to buy it" which puts online purchases in the toilet for me. It would have to be something really hard to get for me to purchase online. Im weird that way!

Dave

When my son and I first discovered WOW we bought all of our Minaitures at the LGS. That was the first 8 or 10 miniatures. However, when I discovered the prices of the online stores, I inevitably switched to online purchasing do to the massive savings. We simply can't afford to buy at the LGS prices when they are $3-5 more per mini. It's unfortunate, but in this economy you have to save where you can.

Scott

I like supporting my LGS, and spend quite a bit there, but I am venturing more to online purchases. I have a diverse range of games I like to play (WoW, Monsterpocalypse, Warmachine, Heroclix) and if I paid full price for all of them, I'd be in the poor house. For the most part, I have restricted my online purchases to single items in the collectible games or out of stock items, like the Udet DVII for the non-collectible games.

In one case, the online store provides far more support for continuing the game than the LGS. They organize conventions, video finals games, provide podcasts and articles about tactics and the future of the game - in short, they really support the game. My LGS is filled with great guys and they provide lots of gaming space, but pretty much if you don't play Magic, you're a second-class gamer. Totally reasonable, seeing as Magic keeps the store in business, but it makes it easier to spread my purchasing around a bit.

I buy my stuff on-line either mail order from dealers or from e-bay or Amazon. The only LGS in Worthing is exclusively GW, and occasionally I buy paints from them.
    John

Users Country Flag

Name
    Abe
    Sorties Flown

I would support my LGS if it were well-run. It's not. I come in looking for something and invariably they don't have it, never heard of it (even if the rest of the publisher's games are on the shelf), and won't suggest ordering it.

One time I asked if they were planning to stock one of FFG's Tolkien games. The guy said they'd read about it on BGG and think about it. Umm, if I came in asking about the game, probably I would have bought it if you had it. I might even have let you order it for me rather than do it myself! You don't need to pass judgment on my tastes; you need to sell me games!

Another time I asked about an in-print WotC product. "We used to have those, but we sold them." Well, I guess I shouldn't tell you how to run your store, but shouldn't you have restocked in hopes of selling more? Shouldn't you ask me if you can place an order?

I am moving to a town with better LGSes and an looking forward to shopping in them.

Richard Bliss did a video interview with Nexus's president in which he lamented that Nexus hasn't found a good retail channel for this game. It's not really a game for hardcore gamers and many potential players wouldn't think of going into the usual Magic-and-GW game store. They mentioned selling it at Borders or Barnes & Noble (large bookstore chains with game departments). I think this is an excellent idea. This is the type of game that sells there. Employees of those stores do a better job selling, too.

Edit: I want to emphasize that this post reflects my experience in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. I have moved to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and received excellent service from Games Unlimited, which kindly ordered me Flying Legends.
    Last edited by Delnore; 01-07-2011 at 21:27. Reason: Update location

I use my LGS which has an online store which means normally I can have a look at new products but still get the discount prices. Before it openned last year the only option was online.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. What to buy first as a new player
    By Oberst Hajj in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 03-30-2014, 18:31
  2. WWII Games
    By Wildcard in forum WGS: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-26-2012, 21:49
  3. Geeking out during games with sound effects
    By bsmith13 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-01-2010, 12:27
  4. What other WWI airplane games have you played?
    By usmc1855 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 01-18-2010, 11:23