Ares Games

Thread: MOVEMENT CARDS

Finns69

Default MOVEMENT CARDS

Hello all i have a question about movement cards from a noob lol. Is there a limit to the amount of cards u can use. We have been playing with just the 3 we selected at begining of the game.
    Thanks ,
    Bill

Welcome Bill! Each plane has a lettered deck of cards. Each time you play 3 maneuver you can choose any three cards in your deck. With a few exceptions (can't play a steep twice in a row) you can choose any three cards in your deck each turn.

That doesn't sound right. You should be selecting 3 each turn from the complete deck associated with your aircraft (including cards you selected on previous turns).

Each individual card played represents a round. Three cards played one after the other is Turn. At the end of each turn (every 3rd card played), you return those three cards to the maneuver deck, and then you choose your next three cards form that full maneuver deck. There are a few restrictions, such as you can not play two 'steep cards' (these are the ones with the little diamond on the lower left corner of the card) one immediately after the other. These restrictions are in the rules book. During teh game, you are likley to (at one time or another) use all of the cards in your maneuver deck.

Finns69

Thanks very much all gotta it now. I have one more question if at the begining of your move u are within firing range can u fire before moving or do u have to move than fire
    Thanks Again,
    Bill

You fire after all players have played and moved their plane for that particular round. (in other words you play at the end of the move, not at the beginning....ie. play the card, move the plane, and if you have an aircraft in range, you fire.) If you have two planes in range in your firing arc, you can only fire on one of them. You choose which one you fire on.

Finns69

Thanks again r the altitude rules worth using and where should we start next as far as rules or campains go we have the famous aces box set
    Thanks bill

Once you feel comfortable with the basic rules, altitude rules add another dimension (figuratively and literally) to your game play. Not everyone uses altitude rules, some really like 'em, and some folks don't. Once you feel real good about the basic rules, give 'em a try.

Play the basic rules until you get used to them. I do not use altitude because I always want new players to be able to come into the game(s) and not get lost because of the the rules. Basically keep it simple. I do like using limited ammo but not with new players.

Quote Originally Posted by Finns69 View Post
    Thanks again r the altitude rules worth using and where should we start next as far as rules or campains go we have the famous aces box set
    Thanks bill
    Altitude is a lot of fun, but before you get started you should know a few things going in:

1 - It slows down the game some. If you love speedy games, the altitude will add maybe 10-15 minutes total onto a 4 player (1 plane each) game.
    2 - Having the stands from Aerodrome Accessories will help a lot because the dials work great for tracking climb tokens. I still like having pegs physically represent the height.
    3 - The rules can be fiddly for newish players. Make sure that everyone is incredibly comfortable with the base game, advanced damage, and collision rules before moving on to Altitude.
    4 - Altitude is not recommended in 1 on 1 dogfights because the plane with the faster climb can really slow the game down quite a bit. I almost wish someone would introduce fuel consumption so people would consider their actions a bit more.

Other than those quick warnings...the game system is great, it's well done and once everyone is comfortable with their climb rates you should be good to go!

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Sparty's given some good points to consider. I say follow his sage advice and when you're comfy with the basic rules and feel you would like to add more realism, then go ahead and start using the altitude rules.

Finns69

Thanks all for your help. Quick question , can you play a climb after a turn , and can u play 2 climbs in a row or a climb , turn , climb?
    Thanks Again,
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Finns69 View Post
    Thanks all for your help. Quick question , can you play a climb after a turn , and can u play 2 climbs in a row or a climb , turn , climb?
    Thanks Again,
    Bill
    Yes, yes, and yes.

Example - play straight, turn, climb in one turn, then climb, turn, straight in the next. What you can't do is play a climb and another climb in the same turn. There's only one climb card (deliberately) in each deck. Nor can you do an immelman and a climb in the same turn.

You can't play two steep cards in a row and this carries over turns.

Finns69

Thanks again all really appreciate it. Getting ready for another saturday nite dog fight with my son and his friend. Bill

Quote Originally Posted by IRM View Post
    You can't play two steep cards in a row and this carries over turns.
    OOPS you're right.

I have a spin out solution for that move !!

Bill - if you don't have a set already check out the deluxe rules in the files section here that will answer most of your queries.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"