Ares Games

Thread: Just for fun a new twist... pylon racing

Default Just for fun a new twist... pylon racing

So tonight out of bordom and my need to play (had two new recruits coming over both have the flu) I set up an obstacle course and attempted to race three planes through using the same turn order as we play in the game. Quite interesting....will post pics later

Well I'm interested in seeing that. Especially if you played with collision rules!

Looks fun ,waiting for the pics and report.

Should be good fun. Add a bit of Archie and the odd auto flown enemy aircraft and balloon, and you have a game.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Excelente I concocted something similar based on the Thompson Trophy for the SFSFW a few years back, although for a different rule system (Air War 1918 adapted for Crimson Skies), and ran it either as a straight race or allowed players to shoot each other up as well - great fun (and better than pod racing!!)

Cool! I've been thinking of doing that for awhile now, just haven't gotten the chance. (Part of the reason why I haven't bothered is because I'm thinking of making one of my favorite 1930s racers next year and having Shapeways kick out a few.)

This sounds like a good idea. Will you please post the rules on how you play it?

There is a scenario some where on the site for the early days about racing around four cups....

Users Country Flag

Name
    Stewart
    Sorties Flown

Great Idea I will have to give it ago, perhaps I may finally beat Mrs Chub for once

Quote Originally Posted by Pakratt View Post
    So tonight out of bordom and my need to play (had two new recruits coming over both have the flu) I set up an obstacle course and attempted to race three planes through using the same turn order as we play in the game. Quite interesting....will post pics later
    I've gone one better: Flying a pylon course *with live weapons*. >:)

My preferred course has four pylons in a square, one ruler-width openings between. The planes fly a cloverleaf pattern around the pylons -- which means every time one passes through the intersection, it has to confront traffic from both sides *and* dead-ahead... and has to do this four times every lap.

Sadly, not only are there not that many players in Oregon to start with, most of them are too craven to set wing inside The Devil's Cloverleaf.... >:)

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    I've gone one better: Flying a pylon course *with live weapons*. >

My preferred course has four pylons in a square, one ruler-width openings between. The planes fly a cloverleaf pattern around the pylons -- which means every time one passes through the intersection, it has to confront traffic from both sides *and* dead-ahead... and has to do this four times every lap.

Sadly, not only are there not that many players in Oregon to start with, most of them are too craven to set wing inside The Devil's Cloverleaf.... >
    Where in oregon are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Pakratt View Post
    Where in oregon are you?
    Aloha area (wedged between Beaverton and Hillsboro), home of "Rowdy" Roddy Piper. :)

Sounds fun....good way to hone your flying skills or learn a new maneuver deck.