Ares Games
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What pre-painted options are out there?

It's to bad as it makes wargaming in this scale much harder

More or less, the main planes are available for the Allies. Though the selection of "secondary" models is kinda low (I did not see any French planes for that matter). But with the popularity of this scale increasing, in the future we may get more Allied fighters, why not.

I read recently some place that Takara and one other company have announced that they will not be making any more 1/144 planes... so I think it is going to get harder to find things.

1/144 Allied Fighters from the Japanese Manufacturers (Ftoys, Takara, Bandai) you have: Spitfire, Lightning, Mustang, Thunderbolt, P40 Warhawk, Swordfish, Corsair, Typhoon, Hurricane, Ilyushin Il2, Yak 9, Mosquito, Avenger, WildCat, HellCat, Meteor... so there are some models available. From the list only the French are missing more or less, but I found D.520 resin kit available, but unpainted.

As Bombers, again lots of them are available. I do not think its that bad

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    I read recently some place that Takara and one other company have announced that they will not be making any more 1/144 planes... so I think it is going to get harder to find things.
    Where did you read this?

FToys have the biggest range, including almost all the above named models. They also issued a new set, coming out in March.

Takara had an edge in quality over FToys. These guys would supply you even with motors to your planes! True masterpieces of quality, collectors items I would say. Takara has a huge range in WW2 Armor 1/144 (World Tank Museum). If they stop making 1/144 aircraft, they will stop making armor also maybe, so either they are going bankrupt, either they were bought by some other company... actually they are somehow under Tomi toy builders company. I think Tomi are Americans so there might be an answer. There might be another explanation: I believe Takara had a deal with Hasegawa, some Japanese "master" designer and their collaboration ended. This is what you might have read.

1/144 in planes, in my humble opinion is the best scale. Not too big, not too small in order to have details, biggest range available (excluding 1/72 or bigger) and multiple manufacturers. And when they are many, you have new players on the market, as well as old players going "out".

This discussion is about plasic/resin planes. Die-cast excluded. If you don't mind metal, then in the equation you have new manufacturers as Corgi, Altaya, Johnny Lightning and so on.
    Last edited by Baron; 01-30-2010 at 04:01.

But how many of those can you actually get these days?? I've seen the P-40 from Bandai's first series, a few P-47s, one P-38 and one F4U (both way up there in price) and some early series Spitfires. The Hellcat and P-51 I've found for sell from a store (not ebay).

Who made the Wildcat and the Hurricane?

I honestly can remember where I read it, but they were talking about the loss to the Hasegawa company (which make some of the best larger scale aircarft model kits out there... or they used to when I was still doing 1/48 scale stuff).

But how many of those can you actually get these days?? I've seen the P-40 from Bandai's first series, a few P-47s, one P-38 and one F4U (both way up there in price) and some early series Spitfires. The Hellcat and P-51 I've found for sell from a store (not ebay).

Who made the Wildcat and the Hurricane?
    Well, FToys are most common pieces, then Bandai and last, Takara.

The Wildcat is in Part-2 Series by Bandai. I did not buy one, it was some $25 on Ebay, but I bought the Hellcat pretty cheap, some $6 or under and an Avenger, I believe $22, but the latter is a more complex model with moving parts and such, so the price was worth it.

The Hurricane is also in the Bandai part-2 Series, I have one, cant remember how much I've paid for it, around $20, but I saw one go with $17 also.

Wildcat and Hurricane are really exception imo, because I believe no other producer has them in their range (either die-cast or plastic). So they tend to go over $20. Corsairs are also expensive sometimes, but each week there are at least 2-3 on Ebay. If you cannot get one at a decent price, you have the Corgi die-cast model available and that goes under $10 if I remember correctly.
    About prices, $20 can seem like a lot, but a WoW/DoW model is around $8-$9 , paying double for a bigger model with more details and excellent quality is not a bad idea for me. And this for rare models. The common ones like Zeros, FW190's are cheaper than WoW. I have some Zeros from Takara with weathered paint that look exceptional and one piece costs like $6... if you look for them. Their landing gear can be up or down, the cockpit can be open or not, with pilot visible or not...

1/200 in planes goes well with 1/144 armor... they look good in battlefields like this, with this ratio for scales.
    But 1/200 does not have the range and quality imo. Not yet, maybe in the future 1/144 scale planes will "die" and 1/200 will replace them in popularity. Hard to say...

Stay clear of the Part-1 Spitfires from Bandai. They have quality issues people tell me. In March, FToys releases a new Spitfire so the cost wont be an issue anymore as well as the quality, most likely. Or if you like die-cast, then go with other producers for Spitfire.

Lightning is not that hard to find, since it was produce by Bandai (L1) and FToys - 3 models (one secret) in Workshop 3 series. Also I saw this plane in die-cast.

I use 1/144 planes because my armor is 1/100 so in this way everything looks good on the battlefield. 1/200 planes are too small to display alongside 1/100 vehicles... So I have chosen this scale (1/144, 12 mm) for planes.
    Last edited by Baron; 01-30-2010 at 04:33.

Yeah, there are two Corsairs on ebay right now... one is at a bid of $11.55 and one is a buy it now priced at $55.00

The one at $55 must be the "canadian" shop Hand Sized History... each week lists that Corsair at $55, must be looking for someone... mentally challenged. Until now the most expensive Corsair F4U I saw sold, went for $31.
    The canadian shop also has a Me109 with finish marking at some $130... )))
    How hard it is to buy a normal Me109 and change the decals, it must be easier than buying one at over $100 :P

Forgot to tell you about the Nakajima Oscar... that is also a plane, strangely, that was made only by Bandai in the L1 series, tends to go over $13, though there were sold with $10 also. In the upcoming FToys series, this will be again available so it should be easier to find.

Do you still have the "japanese" Me109 with motor or did you put it on Ebay already?

I tell you a plane that sold for $55, it was a Do335 A2, the green one, from Takara. But I bought the A0, the silver one for $11 Same model (we could say), different colors. Now I need two motors for it It's my favorite plane you see...

RedBaron, you seem to be pretty up to speed on what planes were in what series by each company. Would you be willing to put a list together showing all of this for us?

I do still have the Japanese 109, unopened. I've not decided what to do with it yet I'm going to be ordering at least a case of that series here soon. We'll see what I get.

Let me get this straight, you intend to order a case of... Takara Famous Airplanes? Is that possible? I have found FToys cases, but Takara or even Bandai... no. PM me with details pls if it is possible.

I will put up a list of the planes and the producers. I do not have a complete list, but for what I have I will put it up in here if it will help you.

Ok, below you will find a list of Plastic Planes, scale 1:144 produced by some Japanese Manufacturers. The list is not complete, since I still have to update it with some models, but it is a starting point:

Again, all planes are prepainted plastic 1/144.

Note that the Bandai Part 1 Series, all Furuta Series and all 21st Century Toys Series are not in the list, since all of these I consider to be below the standard of quality that I accept. Still, you will find from the previously named producers plane types that otherwise cost a lot to buy from Takara or Bandai. I might be wrong with regards to their quality, but there you have it... I only look for the below list.

Plane Type / Manufacturers [Series]- Number of Paint jobs

Mitsubishi A6M5 / Bandai [P2]-2 / Bandai [L4]-2 / Takara [World Wing Museum A6M]-4
    Mitsubishi A6M3 / Bandai [L2]-2 / Bandai [Kansai]-1
    Mitsubishi A6M2 "Zero" / Bandai [L3]-2 / Bandai [Kansai]-1 / Takara [World Wing Museum A6M]-5 / FToys [Wing kit 1]-3 / 21st Century-3
    Mitsubishi J2M3 / Bandai [L3]-2 / FToys [Wing kit 1]-2
    Mitsubishi Karigata Liason Plane / Bandai [L1]-1
    Mitsubishi Ki46 / FToys [WorkShop 3]-3
    Mitsubishi Ki15 / Bandai [L1]-1

Aichi M6A1 / Bandai [L3]-1
    Aichi D3A1 / Bandai [P2]-1 / FToys [Wink kit 1]-3
    Aichi E13A1 / FToys [Wink kit 3]-3

Kawasaki Ki45 / FToys [Work shop 9]-3
    Kawasaki Ki61 / Bandai [P2]-1 / FToys [Wink kit 3]-3

Kawanishi Shiden Kai / Bandai [L1]-1 / FToys [WingKit 1]-2 / FToys [Wingkit 2]-2

Nakajima J1N1 / Bandai [L4]-1 / FToys [Work Shop 9]-3
    Nakajima A6M2 / FToys [Wing kit 1]-3 / Takara [World Wing Museum A6M]-6
    Nakajima B5N2 / Bandai [L1]-2
    Nakajima Ki43 / Bandai [L1]-1 / FToys [Wing kit 4]-3
    Nakajima Ki44 / FToys [Wing Kit 2]-2
    Nakajima C6N1 / Bandai [L2]-1
    Nakajima Ki84 "Frank" / Bandai [L2]-3 / 21st Century-1

Kyushu J7W / FToys [Wing Kit 1]-1

Kugisho D4Y1 / FToys [Work Shop 7]-3

Grumman Wildcat / Bandai [P2]-1
    Grumman Avenger / Bandai [L1]-1
    Grumman Hellcat / Bandai [L2]-1
    Grumman Bearcat / FToys [Wink kit 3]-3

F4U Corsair / Bandai [P2]-2 / Bandai [L4]-1

Lockheed Lightning / Bandai [L1]-1 / FToys [Worsk Shop 3]-3

North American Sabre / Bandai [L4]-2
    North American P-51 Mustang / Bandai [L2]-3 / 21st Century-4
    North American Twin Mustang / FToys [Work Shop 9]-3

SBD Douglas "Dauntless" / 21st Century-2

Curtiss Warhawk / Bandai [Kansai]-2

Republic P-47 Thunderbolt / Bandai [L3]-3 / 21st Century-2

Supermarine Spitfire / Bandai [Kansai]-1 / FToys [Wing kit 4]-3 / 21st Century-3

Hawker Hurricane / Bandai [P2]-1
    Hawker Typhoon / FToys [Wing Kit 2]-2

De Havilland Mosquito / Bandai [L4]-1 / FToys [Work Shop 3]-3

Yakovlev Yak 9 / Bandai [L3]-1

Ilyushin Shturmovik Il-2 / Bandai [L4]-2 / FToys [Work Shop 7]-3

Macchi MC202 Folgore / FToys [Work Shop 7]-3
    Last edited by Baron; 09-27-2010 at 03:25.

Fell free to comment on the above list if you find errors or know that a certain model was produced by someone else and it does not show up.

You got that info from me on another thread. I read it on a 1/144 scale model forum.

lol, okay... i'm getting data overload on this subject i think!

You can get prepainted P-47's from 21st Century Toys, I bought two of their razorbacks, which have rocket tubes and bombs, all you have to do is clip the undercart off. They also can come as a dogfight double with a Fw190 A8 There are also nice kits of P47's by Platz, I haven't bought any Platz kits yet, but Kaufstick said they were as good as or if not better than Sweet, which is saying something.

On the Pacific front I just read that Minicraft have released their Avenger with new decals this time with late war USN markings VC-88, Royal Navy '43 and Royal New Zealand Air Force late '44. They have also re-released their B-24J and B-26B, although Cafereo does a nice B24!
    Last edited by Roger Wilco; 01-30-2010 at 21:47.

If you have the info of the 21st Century Toys list of planes, we should add them too to the list. What quality do they have? Some people say they are not quite so good. If you own some planes, could you tells us, do they have any quality issues?

The list lacks only the Germans from what I can supply as info. I will update it when I find some more time.

re/

Great info guys. Let's try and keep this list to non model kits. Only pre painted, mostly assembled planes (like F Toys, CafeReo, and Takara). The reason is there are a lot of people that like WoW and DoW because they do not have to assemble or paint the planes. Full on model kits stray to far from this idea. We could add a kit list separately I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBaron View Post
    If you have the info of the 21st Century Toys list of planes, we should add them too to the list. What quality do they have? Some people say they are not quite so good. If you own some planes, could you tells us, do they have any quality issues?

The list lacks only the Germans from what I can supply as info. I will update it when I find some more time.

re/
    21st century are a bit hit and miss on quality, but they are OK.

They come painted/ assembled wheels down, they are basic in detail, they look OK, some of the paint work is shabby at times with oversprays especially on the underside. Assembly is generally OK with occassional straightenings required of bombs,rocket tubes or undercart. One of my FW190 A's has the engine insert missing so the prop is very loose which is annoying.
    So far though I haven't had any major complaints apart from a missing engine part. My only beef with them is that they make a model then release it in different schemes they find without thought as to Mk correctness for example

They make a Spitfire MkX ???? and it comes in 4 different schemes
    Green & Grey RAF, Pink PR RAF, Tan & Brown US, Foliage Green & Dark Green RAAF (Clive Caldwell) The problem is that for the last 3 they are the wrong Mk Spit with no tropical filters, but they look OK all the same.

So far I only know of these models
    P51D, 3 x schemes, Blue & Silver, Red & Silver, Yellow, Silver and Olive.
    Spitfire MkX, 4 x schemes as above
    FW190 A8, 2 x schemes
    Me262A
    P47 Razorback and Bubble top
    Hellcat, 3 x schemes 2 x US, 1 x RAF
    Dauntless, 2 x schemes
    A6M2 Zero 2 x schemes
    Ki 84 Hayate 2 x schemes

Ok, I will add them also to the list.

A few details about Bandai this time. Someone from Japan told me that Bandai joined forces with Wing Club Corporation to produce the Series BANDAI WING CLUB. Also another "name" was involved in these series: Eishindo Corporation. Long story short, the association between these "names" broke at one point and Bandai now has no right to issue new stuff using the "Wing Club" name, probably Bandai lost also the producing tools from Eishindo. Hence, it is not clear if Bandai will issue new sets and when. I am still to find out. Or maybe Wing Club Corporation will go on their own. Further research needed for this.

As for Takara, same story, the collaboration with Hasegawa ended and that is why they are inactive in this field for now. Seems that their Armour Series is doing well, Navy stuff also, so I hope they will return to Aircraft sometime.

FToys as we know are quite active, in September 2009 they released Wing Kit 3, while in March 2010 comes out Wing Kit 4.

The other names: Cafereo, Dragon Cando, etc are also active.

Is 21st Century the only ones to make the Dauntless? I found a deal for 26 different 21st Century planes (already put together) for $50...

3 Dauntless
    3 Hellcats
    2 Spitfires
    9 Zeros
    1 Me 262
    2 P 51
    1 P47
    4 FW 190

The P-51s and Hellcats I'm going to be getting some of new from the Bandai WC L2 series (better quality right?), the Spitfires I'll get when they come out new in March, and the FW190s I'll get new in the Takara series. So, the only thing I'm not going to be getting in better quality is the Dauntless and P-47 (the Zeros I'll pickup as one or two of the Takara series of Zeros.

At $2.62 a pieces, these are a really good price though.

Keith,

I have a Bandai Hellcat if you need close-up pics.
    FW190 I have also one from Bandai, but I would consider the FW190's with weathering, from that producer from Hong Kong... Aviation Model I believe it is the name. I do not own one but I would consider those also... maybe someone could help us with more details, maybe pics.
    Zero, I have a batch that must come, from Takara, the special Zero series; I will be able to tell you exactly the quality of those and also I will have pics if needed in a week or so. They should have weathering and high-quality.
    Dauntless is not available with the Japanese so you do not have too many options. If you buy the 21st Century planes lot, please give me some feedback on the quality when you receive them... maybe some pics and first hand experiences. Good luck with the auction and keep me informed (by PM).

re/
    Last edited by Baron; 01-31-2010 at 12:39.

Is 21st Century the only ones to make the Dauntless? I found a deal for 26 different 21st Century planes (already put together) for $50...

3 Dauntless
    3 Hellcats
    2 Spitfires
    9 Zeros
    1 Me 262
    2 P 51
    1 P47
    4 FW 190

The P-51s and Hellcats I'm going to be getting some of new from the Bandai WC L2 series (better quality right?), the Spitfires I'll get when they come out new in March, and the FW190s I'll get new in the Takara series. So, the only thing I'm not going to be getting in better quality is the Dauntless and P-47 (the Zeros I'll pickup as one or two of the Takara series of Zeros.

At $2.62 a pieces, these are a really good price though.
    Cafereo are about to release a divebomber series: Dauntless, Helldiver, Stuka and Comet (japanese) probably about the same time as the Spitfire Vb set

There is a seller with about 100 bandai zeros on Ebay at the moment too $3.50 each

Thanks for the update on the dive bomber set... I think I'll just hold off then.

Please help on a problem: Decals.

Did any of you have any Bandai planes? If so, how did you apply the decals (they are water transfer decals)? Please describe it here, because I do not succeed to apply them in a proper way, after they dry, they fell off if I touch them.

Please help...

I've only done decals from CafeReo so far. I did the normal decal steps with a setting solution and then hit them with a dull coat. They seem to be doing fine. I should have hit the plane with a gloss first though, I got a little bit of silvering, but it's in the 40s here so to cold to really do lots of spraying.

I did the normal decal steps with a setting solution and then hit them with a dull coat. They seem to be doing fine. I should have hit the plane with a gloss first though, I got a little bit of silvering, but it's in the 40s here so to cold to really do lots of spraying.
    Could you elaborate on that? Which are the normal steps? 40s like in years or degrees?

Well to start with I never got any decals with any Bandai planes I bought, I always thought there should have been.......

OK it sounds like they are a bit low in gum, probably dried out through age or are badly made.

What I would do is apply some gloss model varnish to the location that the decal will be placed on, apply the decal, let dry, carefully apply some decals set solution to the decal, let it dry then carefully apply some matt varnish over the whole model.

That is the system I uses as well. And I meant that it was 40 degrees here... so not quite warm enough for spraying varnish.

I am used to Celsius degrees, not F, so with the 40...

Well I am not looking to apply varnish on the whole model... I do not know about that, but I will see how can I implement these solutions. The Decals do not stick... properly.

There is the option to buy separate decals, there are vendors who sell them and maybe those are better.

Thanks for info.

That would have been 4 degrees Celsius

Users Country Flag

Name
    warren
    Sorties Flown

Default 1/200 pre painte

well if any one can translate dollars to yen i found a cool japanese site that has 1/200 aircraft and a whole lot more http://www3.ocn.ne.jp/~konishi/

Quote Originally Posted by warrenn View Post
    well if any one can translate dollars to yen i found a cool japanese site that has 1/200 aircraft and a whole lot more http://www3.ocn.ne.jp/~konishi/

Wow, some nice models....a bit pricey....most of the smaller planes appear to be between $25-40 depending on where the yen is currently. Last I checked it was around 85-100 yen to the dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by afilter View Post
    Wow, some nice models....a bit pricey....most of the smaller planes appear to be between $25-40 depending on where the yen is currently. Last I checked it was around 85-100 yen to the dollar.
    I might still be tempted to buy a couple of Ki43's or A5M4's, if I could work out how to order and pay for them!

Anyone have any experience with Aviation Model's pre-painted stuff?
    I finally got to sit down and look at and convert my A-Model FW-190 A8's last night. Boy was I pleasantly surprised. They would have to be the best prepaint 1/144 models yet released that I have seen. The detail work is superb, its very fine and all the antennas are brass etched, including the loop antenna. the fit of the undercarriage is perfect (I made mine wheels up). The brackets that hold the drop tank on are brass etched as well. The paint work is very well done, but my only complaint is that the brass etched fram on the inside of the seperate main canopy has been glued in (at the factory) with superglue and it has etched the inside of the transperancy at the contact point, (should have used a less volatile glue), apart from that though these models are brilliant and well worth the money, under $10US including postage. They easily score 9.9/10

Someone on the nexus site just posted a link to a japanese company that makes a wide variety of 1/200 ww2 airplanes. They seem to offer most of the japaneese and american planes and have a more limited selection of german, british and russian planes.

I have no idea how expensive they are as prices are listed in yen. I think the yen varies between 100 to 120 to the dollar. They are prepainted though the quality looks kinda poor.

http://www3.ocn.ne.jp/~konishi/eigo200hikouki.htm

Pooh

Name
    Victor
    Sorties Flown

2/7/10 Google has: 1 US$ = 89.4134478 Japanese yen

So a P-51 is US$28.00 That is kind of steep

Is it for 1 plane or the set? When you click on the link it shows sets of 5 to 7 planes.
    for example the USN set has the wildcat, hellcat, corsair, dauntless, helldiver & avenger. Given the apparent quality, $5 or $6 or so per plane sounds more reasonable.

I can see it now. Someone buys 60 to 70 USN planes and the 1/200 scale Yamato and has 1 heck of a visual for a battle.

Pooh

Well, they have the part number in the list per plane and then in the photo they show the part number of each plane next to it.

I just fired off an email to them in English and Google translated Japanese asking if it was one plane or the set as pictured. I'll let you know what the say... if I can translate it back if needed!

Looks like we will get some more Japanese fighters in mid-late May.

Not any more on the Dauntless's. F-Toys has had them out on E-Bay for some time now. I've seen them anywhere from $6.99 USD to $12.99. They have a Helldiver and a couple other ones too in that series.

BTW, I'm sure you've already realized this, but all of the 21st planes come fully assembled. Too bad 21st went belly up.

I was buying the 21st Century 2 packs in town for $2.00 each, that's $1.00 a plane! I snatched up a bunch of Dauntless's, but you can now get those on E-Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by kaufschtick View Post
    Not any more on the Dauntless's. F-Toys has had them out on E-Bay for some time now. I've seen them anywhere from $6.99 USD to $12.99. They have a Helldiver and a couple other ones too in that series.

BTW, I'm sure you've already realized this, but all of the 21st planes come fully assembled. Too bad 21st went belly up.

I was buying the 21st Century 2 packs in town for $2.00 each, that's $1.00 a plane! I snatched up a bunch of Dauntless's, but you can now get those on E-Bay.
    Sorry to correct you kaufschtick, its Cafereo that has the divebomber series not F-toys. I am assembling some Dauntless' and Helldivers at the moment, although a little fiddly they are very nice little models, the Helldiver comes with the option of an open bomb bay and all the models come with the option of canopies open or closed. That said I have some 21st century Dauntless' and they OK too! especially if you can get them so cheap, mine came as a double with a Japanese fighter, I thin it was a Zero, sorry I can't remember exactly what, I have far too many planes to know now.
    RW

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilco View Post
    Sorry to correct you kaufschtick, its Cafereo that has the divebomber series not F-toys.
    RW
    Cafe Rio, or Cafe Reo (my spelling is bad too!), F-Toys or Bandai...I can't keep track of them! Oh yeah, there is Takara out there too! Well, they're all good, and I tend to lump them all together as far as companies go.

When I'm browsing E-Bay, I'm just scanning the planes, so I know I'm calling them wrong from time to time (the companies), but it's all about the planes anyway. The companies aren't too important to me browsing E-Bay as it might be to someone who may be trying to go directly to the company website, so I have to apologize in advance for calling them wrong here and there!
    Last edited by kaufschtick; 06-04-2010 at 20:28.

There are also some "garage kits" as I understand they are called in Japan (nicknamed). Are made by some company called Fairy, if I recall. These are Resin Kits and they have some unique planes! I saw the Romanian IAR 80 and the IAR 81! The Resin kits are composed from 4-5 pieces as I can tell, but they are not painted. Anyone has some of these?

I've picked up a lot of those new Cafe Reo divebombers as well, just not the Stukas... I have plenty of those already.

I've not got any of the garage kits, they tend to be pricey and I have no time to build and paint them!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilco View Post
    They also can come as a dogfight double with a Fw190 A8 There are also nice kits of P47's by Platz, I haven't bought any Platz kits yet, but Kaufstick said they were as good as or if not better than Sweet, which is saying something.
    Platz is right up there with Sweet. I built two Fw-190Ds by Platz, and they were every bit as good as the two Fw-190s I bought from Takara.

Thumbs up 1/144 Scale Dawn of War

Rob!
    You are right. I have built the Platz P-47 razorbacks and the The Fw-190-D9
    they are as sweet [pardon the pun] as the Sweet kits. The decal options are what makes them nice!

Rich

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. BALLOON OPTIONS
    By usmc1855 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 02-18-2012, 01:56
  2. Blue painted Fokker Dr1
    By Belis4rius in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-24-2009, 07:43
  3. Forum options?