• Paper Models

2 1.68%
  • Plastic Models = Shapeways or other

14 11.76%
  • other choice

5 4.20%

Thread: Which Aircraft models do you prefer

Default Which Aircraft models do you prefer

In light of which game we play, let us create a poll that does not favor a company that does not make the game.

Just to clarify things, this poll is to indicate your preference, not what you will settle for.
    Last edited by wargamer; 12-15-2011 at 15:40.

I perfer Nexus/Ares and would not anything else if they put out more product. But the way things are I've bought all 6 different F-toys and 14 others for trade and repaints. I've bought Shapeways (10) and will be buying alot more atleast 50 more this year. I have around 12 Revisco laying around needing to be built.

Of course I favour pre-painted miniatures. However, when it's impossible to get a pre-painted miniature of the type that's on the Nexus card... you have to find substitutes, or do without.

If it's just a colour scheme that's unavailable, then I repaint a Nexus miniature, if I have one to spare. That's how I produced by Royal Siamese Air Service Spad. But my Sopwith Triplanes, Aviatik D.I etc are from other manufacturers, as while there are cards for them, Nexus (and now Ares) don't make them. Currently, it's getting very difficult to buy any of the old Nexus miniatures. Try getting a D.VII of any kind - so I go with other manufacturers there.

I know this is stating the obvious, but it needs saying.

The more non-Ares models that become available, the greater the demand for Ares-manufactured manoeuvre decks for them. There's also an unmet need for aircraft from any manufacturer that correspond to existing Nexus types - the Phoenix C.I for example, or the Caproni Ca4. Most of the rest have been covered now by one or another.

Must be I dont know the difference yet.... But I love my wog/wow planes

I prefer Shapeways because of the variety but I buy Nexus because I don't have the skills or the time to paint them

I agree with Zoe, I would love to have just Aries/Nexus planes, but they are now just not available. As my interest in the game & WW1 aircraft has increased I want to try different aircraft, this is something Nexus didnt supply and as yet Aries dont supply.
    so I went elsewhere, I tried F-toys, nice but can be expensive and hard to find, where have I heard that one before.
    Tried Reviresco, living in Uk these can be expensive with postage, love the jig idea and they have some lovely decals, but the models can be a bit miss-cast and I am not a fan of supply your own struts.
    Skytrex are a good alternative, for me as they are Uk based, but the models can be a pain and not the best to construct.
    The new S*******s lots of new aircraft that we would be waiting for series 12 to see I think, iffy standard at first but are improveing but not to all tastes.
    So after that ramble I vote other because really I like all my models and each has its own charm and paint scheme

I voted for "plastic" since I saw that incorporating "official", F Toys and S******S models lumped together. Each have their strengths, each have their weaknesses, but overall I'd prefer to be lugging a box load of plakkie models around in preference to a heavier box of metals.

The trick with F Toys (at least until recently) was to be patient. I've picked up copies of all the F Toys models for an average price of approximately a fiver, even the rare ones, on eBay just by biding my time. OK , it took a couple of months or so, but it worked. I expect those days are gone since I'm assuming it was a limited production run. I wonder if they'll ever do a second series?

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

I voted for plastic (Shapeways). I liked the NEXUS mini's but are starting to get scarce, ARES is an unknown entity (alot of talk and no action yet), F-toys are limited to 4 - 6 models of two types. Right now Shapeways are meeting the demand and have improved their quality control that they are becoming the go to mini company with a lot of selections. Reverisco and Skytrex, well, if you've read my other posts regarding these guys, you know my feelings for those yahoo's!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Bruno_Stachel
    Sorties Flown

I also voted for plastic. I love the convenience of the official painted miniatures and am happy to use them as the basis for repaints but the range of available aircraft is still quite limited. So, although I do own more official miniatures than anything else, I have picked up Skytrex, Reviresco and Shapeways models for certain aircraft that are otherwise absent from the range. I am particularly liking the Shapeways models of the third party ones as there is no messing fiddling with struts and angles.

I got into this game as the models were already painted and you could use then straight out of the box. But now that shapeways are doing the Early war planes that only need one colour I am after initial hesitation starting to use them as well. I like the Nexus planes and have only done 1 repaint because I like the models the way they are already painted and I do not have the skill to match them especialy the German ones

Quote Originally Posted by Schwerpunkt View Post
    I also voted for plastic. I love the convenience of the official painted miniatures and am happy to use them as the basis for repaints but the range of available aircraft is still quite limited. So, although I do own more official miniatures than anything else, I have picked up Skytrex, Reviresco and Shapeways models for certain aircraft that are otherwise absent from the range. I am particularly liking the Shapeways models of the third party ones as there is no messing fiddling with struts and angles.
    I agree with Schwerpunkt so voted plastic.

Well, I thought you could vote for more than one so I voted F-Toys & Ares/nexus. But since you can't, my F-Toys vote didn't score!

I only play with and collect the prepainted models, and so am restricted to the F-Toys and Ares/Nexus until another company throws their hat in the ring!

Ariovistus

I got into this game due to the pre-painted nexus models.
    I have a terrible habit of buying wargame armies that take me years to paint so this was a buy and play choice.

I'm loving it by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ariovistus View Post
    I got into this game due to the pre-painted nexus models.
    I have a terrible habit of buying wargame armies that take me years to paint so this was a buy and play choice.

I'm loving it by the way.
    Same Here

Only Ares Wings of Glory / Nexus Wings of War.

Stopped model building/painting for years...
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Thumbs up

I would alway prefer to buy the Official Minis but in their absence have found Shapeways to be superior to Metal Models as they require no assembly but MOST importantly are Light & easy to play with.
    I find the metal models too heavy for Gimbels & also tent to overbalance.

I voted other because I don't really have a preference. Thus far I've enjoyed building kits, buying official planes, and painting Shapeways. It seems to me to be the best of times (well, except for the fact that it's darned near impossible to find the official planes I want right now).

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    I would alway prefer to buy the Official Minis but in their absence have found Shapeways to be superior to Metal Models as they require no assembly but MOST importantly are Light & easy to play with.
    Weight is more important than you might realise, for gaming purposes.

A Shapeways O/400 weighs less than a metal Halberstadt D.II I have. For the larger aircraft, I can't imagine using metal or (worse still) resin. The latter is both heavy and brittle, not really suitable for gaming unless the model is very chunky. It is. however, easy to glue the shattered shards together nearly seamlessly. I speak from experience.

I also have a large number of Full Thrust spaceships, in metal. The larger ones are nearly impossible to play with, they topple over under their own weight, and if they fall off the table.... you spend ages trying to find all the parts that have become detached. Pinning and Araldite are needed for the larger sections, CA glue won't cut it.

One thing I like about the shapeways WGF products - they don't deform or break when dropped. They do bounce though, so may end up some distance away.

I prefer to support the Game Company... and then build my own after that...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    I prefer to support the Game Company... and then build my own after that...
    I feel the same

Nexxus/Ares for me but with an eye elsewhere too.

After giving this considerable thought I have to go with the Official Minis. I enjoy making and playing with my own repaints/ builds etc. but when it comes down to the line the Nexus/ Aries ones just win on weight, time and what you get for the money, plus all those little intangibles that you just can't quantify.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

It's because I don't have time to build or paint on such a small scale F-Toys are good to. As long as they are built and painted.

Ares/Nexus - as a basis for repaints
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

I agree with those that favor the Ares/Nexus option and voted that way, but really wish that the "new" company will offer some options like unpainted minis (kit or built) for repaints, extra stands and extra decks as needed. If there were a second choice, I would have gone with F-Toys, as they have offered some interesting paint schemes, some of whch even match existing WOW/WOG cards, and they are fairly easy to adapt. I just modified the Litko stands with some plastic tubing and cut down the F-Toys mounting stem to fit. So, I have the F-toys gimbal in place albeit on a fixed altitude stand with the little meter on the base to keep track of altitude.

I'm going to have to go back and count, but with this latest order I think my 3d printer models may now outnumber all the others combined.

i really like being able to play them right out of the box, no painting or assembly required.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    . But my Sopwith Triplanes, Aviatik D.I etc are from other manufacturers, as while there are cards for them, Nexus (and now Ares) don't make them.
    This changed later of course.

Currently, it's getting very difficult to buy any of the old Nexus miniatures. Try getting a D.VII of any kind - so I go with other manufacturers there.
    This didn't. Even after the Ares reprint.

So very, sadly true. Where, why did this surface Zoe?

Hmmm...

This might apply? My Odds and Ends Album - Ace Card
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    This changed later of course.

This didn't. Even after the Ares reprint.

Heh! This is as good place as any for me, as a new player, to lament the unavailability of Sopwith Triplanes (okay and D.VIIs). At least I can feel fortunate that I started playing immediately after the SE.5a reprint.

Sure would be nice to have some triplanes for Tripods and Triplanes, Ares! Wonder if they'll release any planes under the T&T brand, or keep that to tripods and stick with WGF for the kites?

Quote Originally Posted by driph View Post
    Heh! This is as good place as any for me, as a new player, to lament the unavailability of Sopwith Triplanes (okay and D.VIIs). At least I can feel fortunate that I started playing immediately after the SE.5a reprint.

Sure would be nice to have some triplanes for Tripods and Triplanes, Ares! Wonder if they'll release any planes under the T&T brand, or keep that to tripods and stick with WGF for the kites?
    I'm part of the problem with triplane availability. I have 6. One is the Ares release for Lt Raymond Collishaw's dual-gunned plane (a plane only flown for two weeks, but Collishaw claimed two victories with it), but I also picked up 5 more, and repainted them as RNAS 10 Squadron, Black Flight, including a single-gunned plane for the flight leader Lt Collishaw (a version he mostly flew in RNAS 10, and with which he claimed 31 victories).

As I understand the concept, Tripods & Triplanes was to continue as a separate expansion, that will remain compatible with Wings of Glory. Any future planes, or reprints of previously released planes, will be released only under the Wings of Glory line, and anyone who wants to add additional planes would get them from that source. Any future tripods, or ground vehicles would be released under the T&T line. But, that's just my opinion.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    I'm part of the problem with triplane availability. I have 6. One is the Ares release for Lt Raymond Collishaw's dual-gunned plane (a plane only flown for two weeks, but Collishaw claimed two victories with it), but I also picked up 5 more, and repainted them as RNAS 10 Squadron, Black Flight, including a single-gunned plane for the flight leader Lt Collishaw (a version he mostly flew in RNAS 10, and with which he claimed 31 victories).

As I understand the concept, Tripods & Triplanes was to continue as a separate expansion, that will remain compatible with Wings of Glory. Any future planes, or reprints of previously released planes, will be released only under the Wings of Glory line, and anyone who wants to add additional planes would get them from that source. Any future tripods, or ground vehicles would be released under the T&T line. But, that's just my opinion.

Hah, I love it, the Black Flight is a great repaint concept. Happen to have photos of your squadron?
    I'm going to order a Taube or two from Shapeways one of these upcoming days, and if Ares doesnt announce anything before then, I'll pick up a couple tripes at the same time.

Hmm, aside from the Dr.I, are there any other one/two seater triplanes that saw combat in WWI? Any of the Curtiss planes, maybe?

Curious to see what happens with the tripods line and its availability (and whether Ares considers it a success so far).
    Last edited by driph; 01-05-2020 at 18:29. Reason: Okay, tangenting from the original thread, but it HAS been eight years

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by driph View Post
    Hmm, aside from the Dr.I, are there any other one/two seater triplanes that saw combat in WWI? Any of the Curtiss planes, maybe?
    Apart from the Ca4 bomber, there were about 10 Pfalz Dr.I with Jasta 73, and 250 Levy-Besson Alerte seaplanes.

I voted for Ares/Nexus because they can be used straight from the box. I do own some F-toys models, some metal models, some from Shapeways and some other models. All my Shapeways models need painting. I own some plastic and metal kits, which need painting and assembling. Other models need mounting on stands.

I am voting fore the Ares/Nexus as well. Out of the box and off you go. No need to paint everything up if you don't want to.

I still like F-Toys especially the Albatros ones.

Mike

Lol that’s genius...

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!