Ares Games

Thread: Buckeye Gamers in Flight - Origins 2012

Exclamation Buckeye Gamers in Flight - Origins 2012

The last few time a group of Ohio players has met it has been asked if we are considering running events at Origins this coming year or holding out and going to GenCon instead.

I have finally been able to speak with the folks at GAMA about the status of the club and the upcoming convention. Origins is being held from May 30 - June 3rd this year. These dates fall a bit earlier in the year than normal for the con and it is a Holiday Weekend. I believe attendance will be down some this year early in the week due to school being in session. GAMA is making efforts to make the convention more affordable this year, including providing cheaper hotel rates in the Convention reserved blocks of rooms.

I need to know how many of our members are interested in attending the con this year, who wishes to run events or assist with events. Anyone signing up will receive half price admission to the con. There will likely be a few free tickets and perhaps rooms for those who participate in running events. it all just comes down to the numbers...

I also want opinions if the group would rather attend GenCon this year so I can look into those details if needed.

Speak up soon please as we will be on a deadline to submit events to Origins by February 1st this year.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Of course, I'm in for Origins as I'll be there working anyway & can run a few games or help out with others as my schedule permits. I'll have an Exhibitor badge already. Not sure if I can make GenCon I usually have a conflict at that time.
    Last edited by Tommy Z; 12-12-2011 at 14:57.

I'm game. Let me know about the compensation plan they have to offer.
    Just wondering do you want to check into Gen Con?

Tom

I usually attend both Origins and Gen Con.

I think Origins this year is a big mystery to everyone. I know of a few companies that are Origins staples that will not be there this year (Looney Labs, Amarillo Design Bureau, among others) due to the date change.

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    Or we could just go to Ken's place for a week.
    Cow-con?

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Z View Post
    Cow-con?
    Mooooving to a cowtown near you....

I marked this thread National to amke it clear that anyone from the site can join the local group and take advantage of the savings, all we ask is that you come and play and /or help us out.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Z View Post
    Cow-con?
    Unfortunately, the name "Cow Con" is already taken.

"For those not familiar with Cow Con, it is a gathering of Dead Milkmen fans, mostly from the FFA, to finally meet up after engaging in online conversations for sometimes months and years. The first Cow Con took place in Philadelphia in November of 2004."

It appears that the Dead Milkmen were some kind of music group.

Quote Originally Posted by Zakopious View Post
    Unfortunately, the name "Cow Con" is already taken.

"For those not familiar with Cow Con, it is a gathering of Dead Milkmen fans, mostly from the FFA, to finally meet up after engaging in online conversations for sometimes months and years. The first Cow Con took place in Philadelphia in November of 2004."

It appears that the Dead Milkmen were some kind of music group.
    I did not know that..and I love the Dead Milkmen!

Its ok... i'll invite a bunch of you over one weekend and we will call it "Raid Ken's FridgeCon"...

Now back to the "Original" question. Who is interested in being listed on the Game Club roster this year, attending Origins for half price or better, and do you want to run events??
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Ken, as long as I find a new job and the finances are not completely out of whack, I'd like to attend and run events this coming year. As you know, I am not plugged into the Con scene at all, so I'll let my betters decide if we want to do Origins or Gen Con.

I know that all sounds iffy, but put me down as coming!

Origins is going to be a much better value than GenCon... and since we ran events there last year we might see some improvement in our fill rates. The more I think about it the more I am leaning toward running events at Origins with the club, and then maybe attending GenCon for two days... but that is just my opinion.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Cope View Post
    I usually attend both Origins and Gen Con.

I think Origins this year is a big mystery to everyone. I know of a few companies that are Origins staples that will not be there this year (Looney Labs, Amarillo Design Bureau, among others) due to the date change.
    I run a booth for Profantasy Software & spoke with a few guys who would not be there Belle & Blade being one of them. We'll have fun no matter what!

Sounds like we're going in again. Let the fun begin. Now this time lets set a game scenario for all of us to play for fun. I wants some air time with all of the forum members to show our skills. I'm starting to get siked already.

Tom