Ares Games
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The D.III Challenge!

Default The D.III Challenge!

The Albatros D.III had some of the best and most varied paint schemes of the entire war. So far Nexus has only given us three of them and F Toys graced us with a different three. Now it's time to see what you can bring to the community!

Who: Any registered Wings of War Aerodrome member.
    What: Repaint Contest.
    When: 12 February 2012 is the deadline for entries.
    Winner chosen by: Community vote.
    Prize: Autographed Albatros D.III Brumowski Card by Andrea Angiolino, matted and framed for display.

Name:  DIII001.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  43.0 KB

The winner will also receive the F Toys Albatros D.III of the Red Baron:

Name:  ftoysDiii.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  16.3 KB

Rules:
    • One entry per member
    • Miniature can be from any other manufacturer or scratch built (no paper card models)
    • Must be 1/144 scale
    • Does not have to be painted during the contest.
    • Previous Wings of War Aerodrome repaint contest entries (minis) are not eligible.

All entries must be PM'ed to Oberst Hajj with the following information:

• Real name
    • Username
    • What miniature was used
    • Pilot and Unit name (if based on historical scheme)
    • No more than 3 photos
    • All photos need to be jpg format and [B]uploaded to one of your Albums. When you create the album, make it private via the settings.

In addition to the signed card prize, the winner will receive the new Painting Contest Winner medal:

May I suggest two modifications? First, that the model must be in 1/144 scale, and second that scratchbuilds (and possibly paper models?) be considered too.
    Three modifications. Allow Offag D.III 153 and 253 series too.
    Last edited by Zoe Brain; 12-11-2011 at 21:51.

hmmmm... where is that repaint.. he he he.. or.. which one do I just not care enough about and do another repaint.. this may take some time..

I am definitely in for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    May I suggest two modifications? First, that the model must be in 1/144 scale, and second that scratchbuilds (and possibly paper models?) be considered too.
    Three modifications. Allow Offag D.III 153 and 253 series too.
    Zoe, I never considered that someone would do a scale out side of 1/144, but I have added it to the rules. I've also clarified that scratch builds may be entered. I'm not allowing paper models on this one. What is difference between the Albatros D.III and the Albatros Offag D.III?

Neat! I'm tempted. I even have a Skytrex D.III ready to go.

Yeah, I personally would like to enter this one LOL. Maybe I'll just paint one up to take part in it, but not "enter" it into the contest.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    What is difference between the Albatros D.III and the Albatros Offag D.III?
    BWA HA HA.....
    I love it when someone gives me a straight line like that....

I'll stick with the obvious external appearance differences, rather than subtle ones.

Albatross D.III

Oeffag D.III 153

In terms of performance, the Oeffag D.III had a more powerful engine, far better aerodynamics (giving it the speed of a D.Va or better), and most importantly, had a completely different internal wing structure. The wings didn't fall off.

Essentially it's a derivative of an Albatros D.III, even more different from a basic Albatros D.III than a D.V (like this one) was.

Early model Oeffag D.III 53 were almost indistinguishable externally from Albatros D.III's. The shape of the cockpit though shows that internally, they were different. The guns were also buried in the fuselage.

Then they removed the spinner, giving a flat nose, and added a cowling:

Then rounded the nose - the cowling was often removed in summer

Finally, the 253 series moved the guns to the top decking

I simplify - early 153s looked like 53s, early 253s like 153s, but you get the idea.

Okay, so my next obvious question is... does anyone make kits or models of these or would any possible entries be only scratch built? I'm leaning towards not allowing them since the appearance of the plane its self will effect on the finished model looks... which can throw off the contest.

Zio Prudenzio has given us six versions of the Albatros D.III which can be built as 1/144 scale cardmodels.

See: http://www.zioprudenzio.it/Fka_Alba3.html

Repainting the cardmodels is beyond my skill level but six is enough for me so it does not matter.

I've got four (well three and a retouch) D.III repaints in my album already, just need to take a pic of one on it's own. It'll be very interesting to see the paint jobs that are entered for this contest, lots of great schemes out there and lots of great painters on here.

What is difference between the Albatros D.III and the Albatros Offag D.III?
    Depends on series. The ones before series 253 only differed in what engine that powered them, and that the machine guns were inside the fuselage. The series 253 had a different style of nose, with no spinner and rounded off lines. I am going to try to submit my 253, as all material in it (except the paint) come from the original mini. I just rounded off the nose, filed down the spinner, and cut away the guns.

Edit: Sorry, went some time between starting to type and actually sending it. A lot of posts popping up in that time. Not easy typing while running up stairs as a mailman in a city. :P

/Jörgen
    Last edited by Wombat; 12-12-2011 at 07:12.

Okay, so my next obvious question is... does anyone make kits or models of these or would any possible entries be only scratch built? I'm leaning towards not allowing them since the appearance of the plane its self will effect on the finished model looks... which can through off the contest.
    Colinwe of S.......s will be releasing one soon, probably within 24 hours, as a companion to his recent Albatros D.III. I believe it will have a cowl and round nose, so look like this:

For others, it's a straightforward kit-bash.

Colinwe of S.......s will be releasing one soon, probably within 24 hours, as a companion to his recent Albatros D.III. I believe it will have a cowl and round nose, so look like this:

For others, it's a straightforward kit-bash.
    Dang, that's a slick looking machine!

Zoe Brain, do you know what the handle sticking up behind the cockpit was for, please?

May even have a crack at this one myself. I just happen to have one D. III. spare to paint up, and didn't know what to do with it.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Ah...great contest!

Too bad I can't paint.

For even more inspiration, go here:

http://www.wwiaviation.com/gallery-albatros-diii.html

Aye I got a spare DIII or two so Ill be in again

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Zoe Brain, do you know what the handle sticking up behind the cockpit was for, please?
    Sorry, I don't.

It has some similarities to the handle of a parabellum machine gun which was commonly mounted on observer's cockpits.
    Of course there are also some differences.
    The handle does appear to belong to some kind of weapon.

This example is at the West Point Museum.
    See: http://files.uzitalk.com/reference/pages/westpoint.htm
    Last edited by Zakopious; 12-12-2011 at 21:10.

[QUOTE=Zakopious;109681]It has some similarities to the handle of a parabellum machine gun which was commonly mounted on observer's cockpits.
    Of course there are also some differences.
    The handle does appear to belong to some kind of weapon.

a/ Maybe a flare pistol stowed on the starboard side of the fuselage? Unusual, but possible, as a horizontally-mounted rearward facing MG was tried (and quickly scrapped) on Martinsyde G.100/102s.
    b/ Artist's misinterpretation of the straps from the pilot's seatbelt rolled onto the turtledeck ready for use?

A downward-facing, rearward-firing MG would require a contortionist with eyes on stalks if he were going to aim at anything sneaking up on his low 6, and ground-strafing MGs on WW1 aircraft are forward-facing!
    Last edited by Baldrick62; 12-13-2011 at 04:59. Reason: Sp

Anyone need some ideas, look here.
    I may do Vera just for fun (as an homage to my blunderbuss named Vera, which was itself an homage to Jayne's "Callahan full-bore auto-lock" named Vera.)

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick62 View Post
    Maybe a flare pistol stowed on the starboard side of the fuselage?
    That was my conjecture, but I can't be certain. I can't think of an alternate explanationn though.

For camouflage inspiration you can also look here:
    http://www.fortunecity.com/campus/de...53/kam/oef.htm
    http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww1/f/415/59 (list of camouflages is in the right column)

Here is an image of a German WW I Signal Pistol:

If the trigger guard were removed (to make room for the pilot's gloves), the handle is very close to that on the plane.

Ken

Fortunately bought some nexus D.III on one of the auction sites today at a very good price...uffff. You won't believe: 2xBrumowski, 1xVoss, 1X Hautzmayer. Busy January'12 ahead!!!

Herr Oberst,

BTW, due to the winter holidays we have [two weeks in January] (how is it in other countries?) is it possible to extend the deadline to the end of February?

I guess I should not say you that I have one extra Hautzmayer... (and some Udet's D.V)

Does anyone have a link to a site where I can get some German/A-H decals for 1/144 models, please?

Jan, search the web for dom's decals.
    Last edited by Nightbomber; 12-15-2011 at 12:09.

Thanks, Andrzej, that is exactly what I need.

But be aware of one thing, Jan. Hurry up. It may take 5-6 weeks to get the decals. Ravenlord's (Germany) and my own (Poland) waiting experience is the same. Anyway, the decals are of very good quality and I recommend them (I used them for my Pfalz and D.V repaints posted some time ago in the Hobby forum).

Sorry, I don't.
    It´s a flare-pistol in a holder on the right side behinds the cockpit!

Matthias

It is. Whilst looking for a Pfalz D.XII scjeme I found this illustration that shows a similar arrangement:

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbomber View Post
    Fortunately bought some nexus D.III on one of the auction sites today at a very good price...uffff. You won't believe: 2xBrumowski, 1xVoss, 1X Hautzmayer. Busy January'12 ahead!!!
    Darn, and I'm missing a Brumowski. Good find!

David,
    Thanks for the confirmatory V-ID. It does seem a little strange on the Oeffag to have it mounted so far back that the pilot would have needed to reach behind his right shoulder to get to the pistol, but I guess it worked for him!
    Cheers,
    BofB

On the subject of the competition, I was tempted to enter my W.4s, since they were converted from D.III models, but I guess that took them "out of arc" for the comp

Good luck to all the entrants in the Challenge and I look forward to seeing (and voting for) your excellent work soon

David,
    Nice work on the W4s!

I'm in!

I'll make three and choose the one I think I mangled the least...
    (pity there's only one entry per member)

[Is it me (again!?) or are the two liks to the pictures in the original post broken? I get a message saying I haven't got the proper rights! Impossible, everybody knows I have ALL THE RIGHTS! ]

Count me in. Just need to figure out what paint scheme it will be.

Suggestion for a theme for next comp - floatplanes and seaplanes.

Quote Originally Posted by petitbilbo View Post
    I'm in!

[Is it me (again!?) or are the two liks to the pictures in the original post broken? I get a message saying I haven't got the proper rights! Impossible, everybody knows I have ALL THE RIGHTS! ]

You can't see the card or mini images?

You can't see the card or mini images?
    Both the links to DIII001.jpg and ftoysDiii.jpg say that I'm lacking the rights to see them...

Why? Oh why does this always happen to me?
    (Must have offended the server somehow...)

Default For those who fancy a real challenge...

That's Brumowski next to Linke-Crawford.

And if you look really carefully... you'll see what his Oeflag D.III series 153 really looked like.
    Brumowski had three red Oeffag DIIIs. Two early series 153,with the nose set up for a spinner, (153.45 and 153.52) and a later series 153, with the rounded nose, (153.209).
    That looks like a flat nose to me, set up for a spinner.

According to Austro-Hungarian Aces of World War 1. Christopher Chant. Osprey Publishing, 2002. ISBN 1841763764, the skull was mustard-yellow, not white. This isn't born out by the photo though (whew!)

Flik 41J marked their planes with yellow-and-black wheeldiscs in November 1917. So that's probably the colour there. If so, we've identified what yellow looks like.

His plane, while overall red, had "Brumowski spirals" in mustard painted on it.

Here's Brumowski's Hansa-Brandenburg D.I with them:

Here's one of his aircraft before his Red period:

And another, of another pilot:

Here's Linke-Crawford's machine

Here's what it looks like on red:

Compare this one with the photo:

Now look at the rudder. Note that it's not red, it's yellow, with red(?) spirals on.

Hand-painting those spirals in 1/144 would be tricky.
    Last edited by Zoe Brain; 12-25-2011 at 23:15.

Hand-painting those spirals in 1/144 would be tricky.
    Hand-painting those spirals in any scale would be tricky, not to mention bloody tedious!

Both the links to DIII001.jpg and ftoysDiii.jpg say that I'm lacking the rights to see them...

Why? Oh why does this always happen to me?
    (Must have offended the server somehow...)

Same here, so don't take it personally :P

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick62 View Post
    Hand-painting those spirals in any scale would be tricky, not to mention bloody tedious!
    Well that certainly cleared up which scheme I am NOT gping to attempt...

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbomber View Post
    Herr Oberst,

BTW, due to the winter holidays we have [two weeks in January] (how is it in other countries?) is it possible to extend the deadline to the end of February?
    How far into Feb would you need it to go?

I'm in!

Quote Originally Posted by Rat of Vengence View Post
    Same here, so don't take it personally :P

Dave
    How about now guys, can you see them?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast