Ares Games

View Poll Results: Do you use the Osprey Aces books etc?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • No! dont buy them at all.

7 19.44%
  • Only the ones of Aircraft I am interested in.

13 36.11%
  • As many as I can afford

17 47.22%
  • Only the Elite Aviation Unit ones

0 0%
  • Only the British/Commonwealth ones

0 0%
  • Only the Central Powers ones

1 2.78%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Osprey Aces & Elite Aviation Unit Books?

Question Osprey Aces & Elite Aviation Unit Books?

G'day All!
    I wondered how many of us use the Osprey Books not only for the Colour Profiles but also the rich historical info & data they contain to help in our Modeling & enjoyment of the Game?

I have over 70 Osprey books, but I'm sad to say only two on WWI aircraft. (I'm actually in two Osprey books. A friend of mine is a painter who has had a few gigs doing color plates for them.)

These are great books.

Have never purchased one, but maybe it is time I started collecting...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

I use the Osprey series all the time for my repaints.
    Great books and fairly inexpensive, the only downside for me is the pictures are mainly side view, yes there are some top vies but not as many as the side ones.
    Where they are useful is the side pics show good details and the books are filled with great b/w pics of the pilots and aircraft as well as info on both.well worth collecting

I've started out only buying the planes I'm interested in for repaints, but I'm slowly moving towards just building a library full of them.

I'm still trying to get all the Aircraft of the aces series for WW1. I have 12 I do not like the price for new ones so I look for them at the flea market at the cons.

Christmas is on its way, with a few more books from Santa.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by john snelling View Post
    I'm still trying to get all the Aircraft of the aces series for WW1. I have 12 I do not like the price for new ones so I look for them at the flea market at the cons.
    Just checked the Osprey website and they are offering 45% on a selection of books for Christmas

http://www.ospreypublishing.com/store/discounted.aspx

Some interesting books coming up for release soon but nothing for WW1 in the air

Lots of WWII books in that sale, but only two WWI ones. Pusher Aces on page 7 and Se5 Aces on page 13. I just picked them up for $10.72 each with my Osprey Member discount... not to bad! Thanks for the heads up!

don't buy them but only because I ended up with over 200 osprey titles covering all military subjects so sold the lot and always stay way clear of the osprey stands in shops and shows ,just so tempting

I always keep my eyes open for them. When Borders went under I was able to snag a few.

I like them as they are deffinitly more accurate than some other books and have the basic information to get you going, I use them for all periods I game in do not have as many as I would like as mins come 1st!

Currently i'm owning 45 Osprey books of various series. I mainly read them for the historical information than for painting.

I've bought them over the years for my other wargaming interests, but my collection really exploded when I got into WOW. Very few of the WW1 ones I won't buy. I'm pickier about the WW2.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Bought them once and a while if thee subjects interests me...